Author Topic: Jute Bag issues  (Read 925 times)

Offline vwyob

• Verified/Junior
Jute Bag issues
« on: November 20, 2013, 04:28:55 AM »
Greets :)

We have had ongoing problems when printing jute bags, mostly screen prematurely breaking down. To make matters worse the quality of the Jute has gotten much worse over the last few months (before I joined the firm). The customer has confirmed he is purchasing a cheaper product and the weave is larger than before. The guys on press are having to use more pressure and its taking its toll on the emulsion. I have tried changing the emulsion to a more abrasive resistant brand but it has made little difference. Coating 2/1 on our regular emulsion and 2/2 on the ultra coat. Inks are water based.
 Exposure tests have been done and units increased accordingly to compensate for the thicker coating. Screens are dried (pre-exposure) at 22% RH and 104 degrees F/ 40 degrees C. There is no consistency to the breakdown. Sometimes a run can last 1000 bags and sometimes 100 before breakdown. All screens meticulously cleaned and degreased and dried prior to coating in light safe conditions.
Any ideas guys ?

Many thanks

Andy

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Jute Bag issues
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:30:49 AM »
frankly you have to go back on the customer and tell them their new bags suck.  they are giving you an item that is harder to print so it should cost them more.  he's being penny wise and pound foolish.

i have switched products based on pricing only to find that it cost me more money in the long run.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:49:41 AM »
Also, although it is unlikely the cause of your problem, the screen drying temp is right at the suggested/allowable maximum for most emulsions that I have seen.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline vwyob

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:15:27 AM »
Thanks guys. I will drop the temperature in the ovens. I shall also speak to the boss about a chat with the customer. One of the printers has suggested the same thing, to go back to the customer. The weave is very open.
Thanks again

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »
How large is the print area?.......Would pad printing be a better option?....

Offline vwyob

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
The print area varies. We print on a range of 15 different sized bags. The mini jutes are the biggest headache, 140 X 140 print area. We have trimmed the squeegee's right down (rounded edges) and it has helped relieve edge pressure. They are an extremely abrasive product.