Author Topic: MHM FPU  (Read 7931 times)

Offline vwyob

• Verified/Junior
MHM FPU
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:53:24 AM »
I have discovered an MHM Film Positioning Unit gathering dust in the corner and want to utilise it for the main press. Nobody seems to know much about it. They all understand the fundamental purpose
and how it works...but everyone is a little hazy on film prep for the unit (reg marks etc).
Does anyone know of where I can obtain templates for this unit please? or how to set up our own even?

Many thanks in advance.

My apologies if there is already a post regarding this but I am still getting my head around the forum. If there already is, would you be kind enough to post a link?

Andy

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: MHM FPU
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:07:12 AM »
Here is a basic template we lay our artwork out on. Just adjust the reg marks down if the image is smaller.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »
as Alex said, print the reg marks on the centerline above and below the artwork. Then place the top reg mark on the cross on the FPU. We normally use a 6 or a 7.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »
So let me get this straight and understand this is only to poke fun and not ridicule anyone, y'all have had the MHM machines with an FPU for registering jobs as fast as it can possibly be done using film, and you haven't been using it?  If you start using it correctly then you might get rid of some personel or an extra press since your setups will be about 3-4 times faster.  And congrats on finding something like that, that will have about as big of an impact on production capability as anything else you could add to the shop.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline vwyob

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 03:41:25 PM »
Alex....THANK YOU! :)

Pierre I think it was you that posted the excellent photos of the FPU on the forum. Thanks for that buddy. I was hoping to bump into you.

Alan I have only been with the firm a few weeks....but yes, it has been sat there for a long time. One of the guys maintains he can reg up a job a lot faster than using the FPU. My job is to show him that is simply not the case and that the FPU will increase his make ready speed.

I am already so glad I joined this forum.

Huge appreciation guys. Brilliant

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
Glad to see you made it over. I thought you'd find what you needed here
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 04:24:59 PM »
i've run into other press ops that think they can register a job faster than a pre-reg system and they are wrong...everytime.  I don't care who you are, a properly used pre-reg system will beat a human operator everytime, unless you are printing 1 or 2 color jobs without tight registration.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »
i've run into other press ops that think they can register a job faster than a pre-reg system and they are wrong...everytime.  I don't care who you are, a properly used pre-reg system will beat a human operator everytime, unless you are printing 1 or 2 color jobs without tight registration.

That is so true! I talked with a guy in Chicago running 4 autos and no reg system. When I asked/suggested to him about getting one he said his guys were pretty fast. I don't doubt you can be fast, hell I'm fast on the anatol, but with a reg system fast isn't even a option. You are already done before you say "look how fast that was". There are more Tri-loc, PRU's, FPU's, Tab system, you name it systems out there in corners not being used than most people realize I bet.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
Any reg system that makes you do extra work like carrier sheets and whatnot I can see being tossed aside.

However with the MHM FPU you aren't adding any extra steps. You'll have to tape film to screen no matter what, (sans CTS)
and hell, the thing holds the screen for you while you are doing it. Might as well do an accurate job of it.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »
So the MHM FPU is not only designed for the MHM?, sorry I never seen one in use before. Would it be advantageous to have one if you dont run an MHM?

Offline Ryan

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 06:30:18 PM »
no use in having one without an mhm. They require pins in the screen and the matching "holders" on the press, otherwise you have a real expensive screen holder so you can tape films to it.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
It only works with a press that has the same "clamp style" or pins on the print heads that are identical to the pins on the FPU.  The print heads are perfectly replicated to the FPU so as long as you line your film up correctly on every screen, and your press is "zeroed" out with the micros, the job will setup with little to no micro work.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 06:35:01 PM »
Interesting. I wonder how difficult it is to "zero" out the micros. I would imagine there is some sort of marker or gauge to get it there. Hey how is that for an idea? A guage for micros to let you know where you are at from center...

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »
Most modern presses have a little "crosshair" type thing, a reticle for lack of a better term that sits under your micros that does a pretty good job of showing the screen moving.  They are gauged in a grid like pattern and some are better than others.  I really like the MHM style and those would be easier to zero than ours, but the RPM's do have a decent system so you're not chasing your tail when moving the micros around.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 06:42:44 PM »
I wonder if someone could develop a digital gauge?