Author Topic: Partitioning after the fact  (Read 2329 times)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: Partitioning after the fact
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »
Actually, after a little googling myself, sounds like it's the free size that does it, not the actual disk size.
If you don't want to screw with partitions and want to try it out, this should do it:

Make a shortcut on your desktop to the command 'cmd'.  Right click and run it as administrator so you can use the following commands.
c:
cd \
fsutil file createnew foo 1200000000000

You will need to keep the huge file until you either change the scratch disk or get jiggy with the partitioning software to make a scratch disk partition that's smaller, but I believe this will at least get you going with a minimum of craziness.  Remember if you fix the partitions or use a USB scratch or whatever, there's a huge file in c:\ that can disappear...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
Nice

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 07:38:15 PM »
Indeed. Good job Foo! That does the trick. Error message gone, and the program opens :)
I actually went back and made the Foo file half that size and so still preserved a good chunk of drive but still made it cozy enough for the old workhorse to.purr along.

Now, I do understand that I still should have a scratch disk if I really want the old girl to perform. I may still revisit the partition solution soon.
I also understand that some thumb drives can function as scratch drives.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 08:09:29 PM »
Partition won't do anything to help a scratch disk "perform", extra drive will.  Jump drive isn't good as a scratch disk because of the nature of the electronics.

Interesting fluke issue, good find foo.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »
Good to hear you're up and running.
Couldn't imagine why PS7 wouldn't just be SCREAMING on any semi-recent hardware--probably not worth throwing any money at.  It's not slow, is it?

Gilly: Didn't realize how dismal R/W life cycles had become on the average USB flash.
Still, I'd think one of those 175 MB/s USB 3 thumb drive would rock as a scratch disk--for a few weeks at least.  ;)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 12:11:25 PM »
Yes, PS7 runs great, but can always benefit from the addition of a scratch disk when the files get big and involved.

I believe that Brad (mk162) talked about using a thumb drive as a scratch disk some time back. I seem to remember that not all worked.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?