Author Topic: What are you doing to beat the heat??  (Read 7017 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: What are you doing to beat the heat??
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 11:13:34 PM »
As some of you may know, I've been remodeling at a new location.  It's not a big space, in fact will be a bit tight, but I've put a 15,400 btu A/C in and I'm building a suspended inverted box (like a big vent hood) to encompass the dryer footprint and outside by about 4 inches.  The box will hang down to a few inches above the belt.  The rising rising heat from the box will merge with the forced air from the dryer exhaust blower.  The vent tubing will be 4" from the box and 4" from the blower into a 6" Y collector so air won't be forced back down......I think.  I'm hoping this design will greatly minimize the heat issues created by the dryer in the workspace and not have a negative impact on the dryer curing.  I'll post pics later and say whether it works or not. 
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 12:51:44 AM »
36" and 42" blower fans to help circulate the air.  Ive been wearing basically nothing and hoping the neighbors dont see when i flash the fan to relieve the 'swoobs' ...also keep forgetting to bring in my camelbak--wouldn't be the first time i printed wearing it. LOL

If you keep flashing your fans you will end up with more than just 2 of them.

Offline dsh

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 06:12:33 AM »
From the urban dictionary:  I left off #1.  It was the camelt... you already know about.
2.    CamelBak       
A Back Pack you wear that holds a bunch of liquid. (Most of the time liquor) You then suck it out of the back pack with a straw or tube. I believe there may be a better word for this, but I have heard CamelBak used many times.
"Man bring your CamelBak along to the hockey game"
buy camelbak mugs & shirts
backpack camel bak liquor straw
by keithdchatt Jun 22, 2006 share this add a video
A back pack that can be used to carry an excessive amount of liquid and get sucked out of a straw connected to the liquid pouch.

Offline terryei

• !!!
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 09:08:35 AM »
I can't believe I almost forgot.
3 years ago I bought a 10 ton central Air unit.  Rheem.  I was going to build a building but found an existing one.  This wholesaled for about 10 large.  It's big, a roof top unit. 2 stage, 5 at a time.  I have specs if you'd like to see them.
Never been used, or hooked up, brand NEW.  $5,000.00
If you need it, with that kind of savings, I can ship it to you from the midwest and still a GREAT DEAL!
Terry

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 10:05:19 AM »
printing nekkid.

I will definitely knock next time I come by..... :o
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »
I would, it's a safe bet.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 12:36:44 AM »
It's been a brutal summer here so far.  I've had a thermometer in the shop since we started and the last 2 summers it routinely gets up to 112-115 in the shop.  We are starting 2 hous earlier and trying to set the schedule to print the bigger jobs first in the day.  We have a big 18K BTU AC unit on a cart that we roll around and we put it at the load and unload station.

Our dryer puts off way too much heat to try and ac the production floor.  With the dryer off, in the heat of the day it gets up to about 90-95.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 12:49:47 AM »
I dont start till about 8 at night during the week and start at 8 in the morning on the weekends and stop about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Its still hot but much the worst heat of the day is between 3 and 7 pm.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2011, 04:25:49 AM »
I got one of those big roll around A/C units, 12k btu's or something. Craigslist score last summer.

It's doing double duty, keeping me cool and I piped the exhaust into the screen cabinet to keep it hot and dry.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 10:45:49 AM »
We went on vacation.  Screw the heat.  We decided to walk around Branson Mo for a couple of days in the 98, 99 degree heat.  What the hell were we thinking?

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 11:44:36 AM »
You could probably find one of these from Rothco , but the last time I tried to order a few things (24 web belts) they refused my order and the guy was a bit of an a-hole about it.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2011, 12:12:58 PM »
I was sick as a dog yesterday from heat exhaustion , woke up throwing up, mutilple trips to the toilet, dizzle spells, and had a nasty heat rash. Sat on the couch all day chugging down water and eating bread. Not fun... Taking it easy today printing all my no flash jobs and making screens for tomorrow. Heat isn't anything to play with or be tough about...

Drink lots of water and stay away from sugar and caffeine drinks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:17:03 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »
shawn, you need some more air flow, or move to atlanta. I heard it was nicer here yesterday than in the NE.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
shawn, you need some more air flow, or move to atlanta. I heard it was nicer here yesterday than in the NE.

I need to move that's for sure! Now getting the wife and kids to come with is another story... Trust me, I'd have done it by now for more reasons than just the crappy seasons.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:18:49 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »
you can print, there is NO doubt about that.  you could easily get a job as a lead printer or even start a new shop elsewhere.