Author Topic: InDesign.. Anyone using it for film?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
InDesign.. Anyone using it for film?
« on: July 20, 2011, 01:27:09 AM »
I have Adobe CS5.. They messed with the print options and color management settings and even took out the separations in Photoshop print menu. Printing seps has been a PIA. This is confirmed with AccuRIP in the knowledge base.. they say use CS4 (Don't have a 'legal' copy) or move to InDesign to print your films where the print options far outweigh that of PS or AI

Anyone using it and have an opinion about it?
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: InDesign.. Anyone using it for film?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 04:34:05 AM »
I use it to output bitmap halftones and dithered halftones made in Photoshop since I don't have a rip and if I want to skip using Ghostscript out of Windows (I'm on a MacBook). If the halftones are seps from multiple channels, I drop one into a 13 x 18 page in InDesign, add my registration marks and center line marks and a small color info text box just above the image box with the color name for that sep, then duplicate the page for however many seps there are, then go to each page, click on the box that has the first sep in it, hit Command D to "place" the next sep. Falls right into registration with the first sep/page, change the color info in the text box I made, and repeat. You can leave your seps in native Photoshop format if you've separated the channels to individual files, such as bitmap halftones. Otherwise I guess you'd use DCS2 as a format if you're outputting a composite file to a rip or "printing" to a .ps or .pdf to output through Ghostscript.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:01:16 AM »
I have Adobe CS5.. They messed with the print options and color management settings and even took out the separations in Photoshop print menu. Printing seps has been a PIA. This is confirmed with AccuRIP in the knowledge base.. they say use CS4 (Don't have a 'legal' copy) or move to InDesign to print your films where the print options far outweigh that of PS or AI

Anyone using it and have an opinion about it?

if you are using AccuRip, just go to settings and select override everything to the desired lpi and angle. This way you can print from photoshop.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:02:54 AM »
is it morally wrong to buy the shiny new version, only to find out that it stinks and then just pirate the old version?

Just wondering. 

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
You can print separations from CS5. The only thing is that your file has to be CMYK, and then you will have an option to select Separation printing from a drop down menu in the Print window.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7794a.html

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 09:26:56 AM »
You can print separations from CS5. The only thing is that your file has to be CMYK, and then you will have an option to select Separation printing from a drop down menu in the Print window.

so if you have additional channels in CMYK mode you can control the lpi and angles?
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 10:02:04 AM »
I just tried a CMYK with a spot Pantone channel and you can't adjust the linescreen count, angle or dot shape like you could with CS3. Kinda odd that they shut off those capabilities. I would bet that Photoshop is their best-selling program.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 10:10:45 AM »
so if you have additional channels in CMYK mode you can control the lpi and angles?

No, but should your RIP do that?

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »
You can print separations from CS5. The only thing is that your file has to be CMYK,

You can print spot channels as well from CS5. the file has to be in Multi Channel mode for the separations tab to un-grey!
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)