Author Topic: Inventory tracking software?  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Admiral

Inventory tracking software?
« on: September 18, 2013, 02:34:20 PM »
I'm looking for software that would simply take in a spreadsheet of SKUs and quantity associated with it and we would update it every 1-2 days preferably giving us charts to show the sales rates.  Also I would want to be able to aggregate multiple SKUs at once since we have a different one for every size shirt.

Pretty basic stuff but I had trouble finding it through google so perhaps someone here knows.  We need to be able to track our inventory over different time lines to avoid stockouts. 

For example:

9/08
SKU: 0-HAPPYPLACE_XL    10

9/10
SKU: 0-HAPPYPLACE_XL    7

9/12
SKU: 0-HAPPYPLACE_XL   6

9/14
SKU: 0-HAPPYPLACE_XL    6

would be the quantities and dates and we would be able to see it would likely sell out in 2 weeks and need to be replenished. 

Preferably the software would be inexpensive.  We wouldn't want someone with a monthly payment...

Thanks

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Inventory tracking software?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »
This is something that would be beyond a fancy excel sheet?  What about an access database?  Those aren't too hard to work yourself, depending on your needs.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 03:34:50 PM »
we use a multisheet excel file for this kind of tracking.  Excel can do basically whatever you want, but you will probably have to do some googling for specific formulas and formatting if you don't know it that well already.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
We currently use spreadsheets - google ones.  The problem is that the SKUs don't line up as more are added so the formatting is off and difficult to work with.  Plus tracking over different intervals isn't easy at all with how we have it right now.

I will look into using Excel and doing fancy things with it...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »
we actually use google as well, but it is basically the same as excel.  Either way...

we have ours setup with basically two sections per style, one very basic section that is essentially just for quick reference, with current stock and "ideal" stock, then it uses those to generate what we need to order (and there is some info on pricing etc. to determine when it makes sense to order stuff).  We order when it gets low or we run out or the formula says we should (lol).  The second section is larger and related to sales over time and has a lot more complex formulation to show us different things.  I guess there is kind of a third section with a bunch of random weird calculations we have done on a whim, and when we find we reference one enough it gets put in section two and cleaned up and labeled clearly.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »
And if you are looking for trends, you will be dumping the info into excel anyway.

Offline papinc

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »
Do you use any accounting software?

Offline Admiral

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »
Do you use any accounting software?

Quickbooks

Offline papinc

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 05:58:37 PM »
It's been long time since I've worked in Quickbooks, so I don't really know the functionality of it's inventory features. We use Peachtree which I prefer (more accounting friendly....and in another life I was an accountant).

Maybe download a trial of Peachtree Complete to see if the inventory features would suit what you're trying to accomplish without all of the spreadsheets...and yes I love spreadsheets.  ;)