Author Topic: Anyone add some angle to left chest logos?  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Du Manchu

• Verified/Junior
Anyone add some angle to left chest logos?
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:56:13 AM »
When we print left chest logos with a straight horizontal lines I always have some concerns.   Even if perfectly straight (confirmed with a T Square), once I put one on to double check the placement, they look crooked due to the drop of my shoulders.  As a standard practice, do any of us compensate for this by adding a little bit of angle to the image? 

Thanks.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: Anyone add some angle to left chest logos?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:18:40 AM »
I wouldn't. All it would do is invite complaints. If a customer gets a shirt with the logo printed slightly crooked, and it looks crooked to them as they look at the shirt laying flat, you can't very well tell them to "put the shirt on and look in a mirror. Now stand up a little straighter. No, too straight. Slouch just a little. A little more. A little more. There! Now when you wear your shirt, make sure you walk around just like that so the logo is straight." Or send along a flyer with posture recommendations.
Not just trying to be a smart ass here, because I know what you're saying. I just think it's an invitation to complaints. What about women? Logos that ride too high, too low, or nail the nipple dead-on?
Three fingers down, three fingers over, straight on the shirtboard, and that's it. I can't compensate for people's poor posture or saggy and/or perky hooters.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »
I never have (intentionally), nor has anyone ever brought it up as an issue.
Nor have I ever anticipated shrinkage or stretching when actually worn.
In fact, the same shirt will hang differently on different people.

It comes with the territory.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:12:23 AM »
When hooping for embroidery, I will err in the manner in which you suggested.  But only vs it going the other way.  You can't be perfect, so basically I make sure it's either straight or I'll let it slide if it's tilted up on the outside a bit.  Because as you noted it will droop a little when worn.

But we don't really AIM for that angle, we just let those that are SLIGHTLY off in that direction slide.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
I would say, to reiterate what Frog said, don't worry about it. I've printed a billion left fronts since the mid '70's, and have never ever heard a thing about that, ever, honest. Billion might be a slight exaggeration, but you get the point.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 12:02:21 PM »
Sometimes we will slightly for the 3X + sizes.
When over that far, they seem to drop down if hooped straight.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »
What about plackets? Do you fiddlers still worry about the shoulder angle, or does the vertical placket trump that?
(Just a rhetorical question as no one would knowingly cock a design when given such a straightforward reference with which to compare)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Du Manchu

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
Well that unanimously solves that.  Thanks.  One less thing to sweat about.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »
What about plackets? Do you fiddlers still worry about the shoulder angle, or does the vertical placket trump that?
(Just a rhetorical question as no one would knowingly cock a design when given such a straightforward reference with which to compare)

I see plackets the same as pockets. Any fixed "line" is what's going to determine the position of the print. If a pocket is sewn on crooked, that logo is going to go on crooked, too, since it's alignment to the pocket is what people will notice.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Anyone add some angle to left chest logos?
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 06:57:36 PM »
I actually did some this summer had a pretty large design with a point at the bottom middle of the design. I angled it slightly so it looked perfect when on. I thought I was a little OCD for doing it though.

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:19:47 AM by sweetts »
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 01:14:09 AM »
Drooping shoulders? Stand up straight and the print will look fine.

;D
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »

I see plackets the same as pockets. Any fixed "line" is what's going to determine the position of the print. If a pocket is sewn on crooked, that logo is going to go on crooked, too, since it's alignment to the pocket is what people will notice.

My favorite example of this is the guy I worked with years ago at a sign shop who applied vinyl to a truck using a level.  Seems like a good idea, until you see that he did not make sure the parking lot the truck was parked in was level.   ;D
Of course, with the crazy contours and body lines on so many newer vehicles, even that won't help...

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »
In a similar vein,  I worked in the publications department of a software company. The guy who was my boss used some presstype for a header, and, true to his drafting background, spaced all of the letters perfectly even. Looked like sh!t. The gap between letters like an A and a V was more like word spacing than letterspacing. Hadn't heard of kerning type.

With vehicles it's sometimes a real question whether to go with a sheet metal crease or what would normally be "level".