Author Topic: Roller Frame Abuse  (Read 13352 times)

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Roller Frame Abuse
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
My approach always. Also never throw things. And I never raise my voice. Well perhaps by half a dec but when I do it has an immediate affect

Offline ol man

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »
and thats why no one gets a raise or a bonus this week.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »
Yeah, throwing stuff no good.

Who cares how much work you get done or how perfect it is if you feel like you're
under the gun (or floodbar) constantly. I couldn't hang.

Probably the angriest thing I say is "why?". One word carries a lot of weight.
I haven't had to ask it in a long time either, the kids are more than forthcoming
when something happens, unless they don't know why it happens, or it's the machines
fault.

I don't think you cultivate respect and team mentality with a sword, but I could be wrong.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
I think one thing is missing here...expectations.  what are their expectations? 

we have a morning meeting EVERYDAY.  we go over everything and see if anything needs to be ordered people time off ect.  that way everyone knows what is going on and what the expectation for the day week month year are. 

thoughts?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 04:27:27 PM »
We had these career builder type people come into my high school to try and get us all jazzed up about working
for the rest of our lives. They wanted us to write our goals down, and then mission statements on how to reach them.

I could see how that could be helpful for some folks but for me it's just a huge turn off. Reminds me of Office Space.
TPS reports and the like.

Then again I don't know, maybe if I had written a mission statement at fifteen years old I wouldn't be knee deep in this silly industry.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »
I think one thing is missing here...expectations.  what are their expectations? 

we have a morning meeting EVERYDAY.  we go over everything and see if anything needs to be ordered people time off ect.  that way everyone knows what is going on and what the expectation for the day week month year are. 

thoughts?

Expectations is the key. I do not yell nor do I kick things either. Yelling just makes the situation to tense and leads to an unwanted situation. I treat my guys with respect and treat them the way I want to be treated. I have a very low tolerance for common sense when it comes to the shop but that is another topic. I want my guys to feel like what they do makes a difference. Because what they do affects everyone at the shop. They know that if they get the talk that its bad. The guy I spoke about sending home came in and apologized. He asked how close he was to getting fired and and I said there is not a easurment on the ruler small enough to measure that. He has been top notch all day today. I pulled him aside and let him know that I noticed. He was grateful and happy that I noticed.

www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Roller Frame Abuse
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 05:27:24 PM »
We had these career builder type people come into my high school to try and get us all jazzed up about working
for the rest of our lives. They wanted us to write our goals down, and then mission statements on how to reach them.

I could see how that could be helpful for some folks but for me it's just a huge turn off. Reminds me of Office Space.
TPS reports and the like.

Then again I don't know, maybe if I had written a mission statement at fifteen years old I wouldn't be knee deep in this silly industry.
If you never set a goal how do you know where your going in life?

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 05:39:36 PM »
Wait till I upload the pics from what I found today.  I'm super busy so it might not be till tomorrow but good lord, some of my screens that are only a year old look like they've been through a war.  Tomorrow is the day, I'll keep y'all posted, gonna be a bad day for everyone if I don't hear what I need to hear and see what I want to see.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Roller Frame Abuse
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 05:41:41 PM »
On the angry printer, one guy like that can be the roadblock to developing a real awesome team. I dealt with a guy who was one of the best technicians I ever worked with, but his attitude was holding us back, constant issues he knew everything and made a point to tell the other guys how they knew nothing. While he was there I had a high turn over especially with the entry level guys, constant issues and crappy attitudes after I got rid of him my team was awesome and developed into a fricking machine. Sometimes we get comfortable with what we have and dont see what the real issue is.
A poor attitude is a cancer. Get rid if the printer, take the hit and rebuild or bring another guy on then can him I would bet he is a huge part of your issues. By allowing a pissy attitude you are telling the other employees you don't care just keep printing and working like that sucks. Good luck man these issues are very hard

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »
This is so important I must chime in on both the specific nature of this thread as well as its slightly off topic discussion.
If anyone is interested in my jaded yet experienced I'll respond,

tp

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 06:06:27 PM »
Your problem Alan is you probably don't want to (or more like can't) send your whole crew home when they all start narcing each other out.  I've never had anyone in here who liked to point fingers at others when they erred...at least no one for too long.
Don`t want to come to any foregone conclusion here but these things tend to happen if you don`t have a "team" but rather a group of individuals working for you.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 06:36:35 PM »
This is so important I must chime in on both the specific nature of this thread as well as its slightly off topic discussion.

tp

I'm sure everyone is always interested in what you have to say.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »

tp

All ears. Hearing the different approaches is a good thing.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 07:09:50 PM »
I've looked at most all of our screens today and have determined a few things I had suspected were the cause and have found a lot more damage that is very easy to see where it's coming from.  There is definitely one person that lacks the concept of the team and I have enough evidence now to say with about 95% accuracy that he's the one doing the most damage to the screens.  He's gone out of his way to make the other two look bad and that's almost on a daily basis.  I know most of you are thinking why not just get rid of this problem employee, well, I do agree that it is what needs to be done but just trust me when I say it's more than a little complicated.  I've complained about this guy a ton over the years, but when you really look at what good he's done, how hard he has worked you quickly come to realize that those kind of guys don't come around too often.  I can set up jobs faster, I can print better, I can do everything that he can do but I have to be able and free to do other things and he allows me to do that.  He's a headache to deal with most days, he's like dealing with a 15 year old emotional girl and damn is he sensitive as I've ever seen a man, but at the end of the day, he's loyal, he works hard, and he's apparently hard on equipment to be honest and if I can get him to take better care of the screens then he's going to stay.  If he can't, at least I'll be able to sleep at night knowing I gave him more than a fair chance.

I have a plan for tomorrow and boundaries will be set, expectations will be layed out and those who follow will be rewarded and if there is anyone that isn't on board then they will be let go.  I'm going to give this guy a chance that he probably doesn't deserve but if it were either one of the other two guys working out back, it would be very easy to cut the cord.  For all his bad points he's got some very good ones but I can't let him get away with damaging our equipment.  His good has outweighed the bad up until the screen damage issue so now I'm giving him one last chance because with all we've been through at work and beyond, I feel he does deserve it.  He's done things for this company that nobody else would or could have done and I've done things on his behalf at the shop and away that nobody else would do so I want to make sure I give him the opportunity to make things right.  I hope I'm doing the right thing, but I'm going to do it nicely, politely, and firm.  He's never been one to take criticism AT ALL, but it's time to act like men and get this handled.  Wish me luck.

And I'd love to hear Tony's take on this, fire away Tony.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »
I've complained about this guy a ton over the years

In that time you could have been training a good-natured person to be as good or better than you on the press. Just sayin.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)