Author Topic: I may take the plunge on an LED exposure unit  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
I may take the plunge on an LED exposure unit
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:39:04 PM »
I currently have a 2008 nuarc msp 3140 and it's a real work horse.  I've been reading both the post relating to the led exposure units here and anything I can find elsewhere.  I'm thinking of the model 3248 lawson led 5000.  At $3000.00 plus $250 for the legs that go with it, it's not that bad.  This is what I've copied from their website:

With a "slow burn" dual-cure emulsion, and using a Rounded Edge emulsion coater, and the 2 + 1 coating method, exposure times will be slower.  Example: 160 seconds (2 min, 40 sec - still exceptionally fast. Remember, the more emulsion you use, the slower the exposure time)

Here is the link to the exposure unit:

http://www.lawsonsp.com/screen-printing-equipment/auxiliary-equipment/exposure-units/led-5000

If it works as stated with exposure times that would be fantastic.  Also, would have the ability to expose 2 23"x31 screens at once.

If I do this, I will keep everyone updated.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:01:16 PM by ShirtShackandMore »
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: I may take the plunge on an LED exposure unit
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »
Is that what they have quoted you for that unit? For the same size model they have quoted us $3600.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
Is that what they have quoted you for that unit? For the same size model they have quoted us $3600.

That's what they quoted me this morning.  I didn't ask about shipping though.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »

That's what they quoted me this morning.  I didn't ask about shipping though.

Updated,  the phone quote was $3000 yesterday for the smaller one including the legs.  I called today and the Led 5000 model 3248 is $3695 + 250 for legs.   I went ahead and ordered so we'll see what it's all about when I get it.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »
I got a call from Karen at Lawson's Marietta, GA office. She said they have one in their showroom. She invited me to come up for a demo. Maybe she'll let me shoot a video.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
http://lightspeedequipment.com/ you see this one? Hes got some good vids on youtube
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »
It looks like I might see my first LED unit on Monday.  I'll be bringing some screens with HVP on them for exposure testing and I've baselined a 110/81, 180/48 and a 280/34 on our Richmond metal halide so we will have something to compare the LED numbers to.  We can see how it compares to a strong metal halide unit with a pure photopolymer.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 12:13:36 PM »
I'm interested to know how well it works on pure diazo emulsion for water base / discharge printing.  SP-1400 is what we use for that and if those screens are as good / better with LED than our MSP3140 LED is a no-brainer. 

Anyone have a good way to use exposure calculators with CTS setup? no glass.  I was using the 21 step guide (where washing out to 7 means you are good - it's a great and easy test ) that I would tape to the screen but it screwed up the film on it after a month or two of using.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 03:26:35 PM »
Anyone have any updates on exposure times on emulsions they've used for large dc/wb runs?  Any breakdowns?  I spoke at length this week with one of the makers of an LED unit and when the conversation turned to diazo/dual cure emulsions and test field results by those who are running large runs of dc/wb, the conversation became comedic. There seems to be a dearth of info on this by the LED makers, presumably bc discharge and waterbase usage isn't big in comparison to plastisol usage so screen break down isn't a big concern for them to spend time and money into r&d.   Any updates from users?

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »
Anyone have any updates on exposure times on emulsions they've used for large dc/wb runs?  Any breakdowns?  I spoke at length this week with one of the makers of an LED unit and when the conversation turned to diazo/dual cure emulsions and test field results by those who are running large runs of dc/wb, the conversation became comedic. There seems to be a dearth of info on this by the LED makers, presumably bc discharge and waterbase usage isn't big in comparison to plastisol usage so screen break down isn't a big concern for them to spend time and money into r&d.   Any updates from users?
Here at M&R we are testing every emulsion we can get our hands on this week. We hired an independent consultant Lon Winters to coat,digitally and with film expose on three different units we will be showing at the SGAI show this month . He will be at our facility all this week to run the test. A new Tri-Light CTS will be the benchmark for the comparison. All results will be available by the SGAI show on all types of emulsion.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 06:42:21 PM »

I can tell you that with my lawson led unit that after many times of doing exposure test and practical usage that using CCI wr25 that I've finally nailed it.  For example, using a 156 coated 2/1 that the ideal exposure was 230 seconds.  I printed a 300 pc job the other day with no signs of break down and using no hardener.  I wouldn't say it's comparable to a 5000 watt metal halide as advertised but more like a 3000 watt.  For me the unit was definitely an upgrade but for someone with a higher wattage halide unit, I'd say no.   What I like the most about it is that the power usage is minimal and the no heat produced.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »
anybody care to comment on high detail halftones with these units?  I'm getting ready to upgrade my FL unit, and LED seems really interesting, but only if it's making better exposures than a comparably priced new MH unit.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 09:56:07 AM »
hold off a few more days, we are testing the Vastex unit and so far it's looking pretty good. I'll post an update in about a week.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 12:01:51 PM »
We have slowed a tad bit and I may find a day to go test on a Vastex.  I'll take some dual cure screens and although I have to compare it to a strong metal halide and no large DC job to test for durability, I can at least get some exposure results and look at them up close so see how they compare to a big MH.  If I say I "might" do this, I probably won't, so I'll go ahead and say that I will go test again on this unit this week and get some feedback here by the end of the week.

In my limited experience with them, I can't decide what they are compatible to, a 1200W MH, 3K, 5K?  Definitely not a 7 or 10K, but still pretty darn good.  Even if LED isn't as strong as they'd like to believe, it's still all relative and there are selling points for them.  I'm sure that with more R&D that these lights will get better, and they can focus them more in the correct spectrum and cut down expo times quite a bit, but that's all specultion on my part.  I just doubt that they've maximized this technology on the first try. 

If it takes me 2.5 minutes on a 10K MH to get HVP durable to DC inks, then it's going to take a lot longer than that on a weaker light source, but it's still probably going to be comparable to the average MH unit out there, at much less of a cost and no heating or weakening of the bulb over time.  With the few screens I tested, I didn't get the same edge definition or high detail but I think with more time on the unit I could dial it in and get better results.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 12:29:49 PM »
From just what I know about LED's themselves, the tech is changing rapidly.  The local electric suppliers (3 of them) all don't even stock LED lighting as the models and availability are changing daily as they develop the technology.  I have to believe that will trickle down into stuff like LED exposure units and those will improve as well. 

I am curious to see where it goes for sure. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube