Author Topic: Re-Installing WindowsXP  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re-Installing WindowsXP
« on: August 07, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »
Have any of you done this on the machine of the 2005-6 vintage (Athlon 64 3000, 2 Gigs ram) ? How long did it take to do all of the updates? (And did you specifically avoid any with known or suspected issues?)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: Re-Installing WindowsXP
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »
It's been a while since I did an XP install, but like any MS product, I try to download all the 'service packs' so it's mostly there when it goes online, and doesn't have as many security issues when you connect.
Make sure you have all the driver disks that came with all the random crap you've put on/in it, and the toughest part (usually) is finding an install package for your motherboard or system.  Some companies are pretty good about keeping drivers around, some aren't.

From my experience with the doze, it's pretty well impossible to avoid issues on most systems, either you get lucky or you don't.   :P

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
I have the disk for the motherboard, and the Windows disk includes SP3. Still, that's a long time ago and lots of Tuesdays have passed!
I also plan to look into my update history for at least one bad update that I retroactively un-did because of issues.
This is my old machine which now resides in my client reception area that I plan to streamline, and just re-install the basics (CorelDRAW and Paint, Photoshop, Open Office and/or Word Perfect)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »
You should be good.   Like Foo said, it's pretty straight forward.  Getting those ducks in a row a head of time is a nice time saver.

I'd actually install the latest drivers from the manufactures' websites if possible.  Only one I might install of the CD would be the network card, so you can get the others... even still I don't keep those CD's so I'd be downloading that from the Manufacture's website as well... on a usb stick.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:58:18 AM »
Still curious as to how long I should expect seven years of updates to download and install

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »
Still curious as to how long I should expect seven years of updates to download and install

for projects like that, I get it going and do something else while it's downloading and installing. I stop by every half an hour or so for a few min and go back about my business. I would expect it to take a better part of a day if done in such a fashion (this includes loading libre office and other misc software you'll need).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »
Same here... Lots of variables... Internet speed, system speed.  But mainly two or three updates will be "brutal" the others will be pretty mild.   And if it comes with sp3 already slipstreamed then it will be fairly up to date.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 10:49:19 PM »
Frog last time I did an XP install it took all day dang near, so make sure you got your coffee its going to take awhile.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »
You should be good.   Like Foo said, it's pretty straight forward.  Getting those ducks in a row a head of time is a nice time saver.

I'd actually install the latest drivers from the manufactures' websites if possible.  Only one I might install of the CD would be the network card, so you can get the others... even still I don't keep those CD's so I'd be downloading that from the Manufacture's website as well... on a usb stick.

Excellent point--I would only say install from disks because of the likelihood of the original system being set up with them--you at least have a rollback point if an updated driver has a bug and screws your system.   Definitely a good idea to get current on drivers, assuming they are willing to 'play nice'.   ;D

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »

Excellent point--I would only say install from disks because of the likelihood of the original system being set up with them--you at least have a rollback point if an updated driver has a bug and screws your system.   Definitely a good idea to get current on drivers, assuming they are willing to 'play nice'.   ;D

In my experience, and I'd say that is vast (almost daily), that is rarely a problem.  But it does happen.