Author Topic: Dear Apparel Decorator for the US Soccer Team-  (Read 2538 times)

Offline middletownink

• Verified/Junior
  • Future so bright, got to wear shades!
Dear Apparel Decorator for the US Soccer Team-
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:43:29 PM »
Dear Decorator that has the honor of having the US Soccer contract-

You are an embarassment to our industry. The next time you decorate a jersey for Landon Donovan please please take the 3 extra seconds to evenly space his name. Even an industry rookie understands that a "V" next to an "A" needs special attention. 

Kindly,

Megan
-You Think It! - We Print It!-

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Dear Apparel Decorator for the US Soccer Team-
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »
In the old days, we called this "letter spacing". Learned by many of us old-timers initially in our Junior High print shops hand setting type.

It's a pretty basic concept of judging "real estate" and the principle of the more stuff that would be close together (espedcially when the parallel lines of two letters are side by side, the more space is needed.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »
maybe was a decorator overseas who did it, as we all know the U.S. Olympic team wore
uniforms made in china,
besides not a lot of Americans follow soccer

Offline BorisB

Dear Apparel Decorator for the US Soccer Team-
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:03:43 AM »
Maybe it was small Slovenian revenge for kicking us out at last World Cup in South Africa.

Boris

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
In the old days, we called this "letter spacing". Learned by many of us old-timers initially in our Junior High print shops hand setting type.

It's a pretty basic concept of judging "real estate" and the principle of the more stuff that would be close together (espedcially when the parallel lines of two letters are side by side, the more space is needed.

I believe the term is "kerning"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »
Never heard that term in 1963.

Even into the '70's when I was hand setting type for business cards, the shop called the technique letter spacing, probably because we literally positioned lead letters and spaces.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »
we have a soccer team!? :o
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 09:25:03 AM »
I set type in junior high too, with a composing stick. I don't remember "kerning" from that time in particular, (leading, sure) but learned it later in high school graphics arts class. In Illustrator, you simply put the cursor between two letters, and hold the option key and the left arrow tightens the space, and the right arrow opens it up. As said, even a wet behind the ears rookie should "see" that.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »
I set type in junior high too, with a composing stick. I don't remember "kerning" from that time in particular, (leading, sure) but learned it later in high school graphics arts class. In Illustrator, you simply put the cursor between two letters, and hold the option key and the left arrow tightens the space, and the right arrow opens it up. As said, even a wet behind the ears rookie should "see" that.

Steve

for the Winblows users, use ALT key instead of Option. You can also use the up and down arrows to reduce the distance between the lines of text (while holding ALT key too).

another tidbit. . . kerning between particular pairs of letters is actually part of the font file. It specifies the distance depending on the shape of the letter. Who ever made the jerseys probably just never adjusted the poor spacing preset in the specs.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 01:07:17 PM »
I can't even watch sports anymore because of that kind of stuff...  Probably ten thousand times more money in getting the sponsor on
contract than putting that sponsor's logo on a jersey.

Didn't think 'kerning' was too new a term, seeing as how it's defined by it's movable type origin--perhaps it's one of those terms that just got popular when armchair designers started using Pagemaker?     ;D

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »

Steve

DOPE...This will save me some time and now I can get that stupid text formatting toolbar out of my way!