Author Topic: I would appreciate any advice on this print  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

I would appreciate any advice on this print
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »
(I am having trouble getting this thread to post...so if it comes up more than once I am sorry because this is my 4th time trying to get this thread to post and from my end its not going thru and I am within the boundaries of images sizes)

I have a manual press (chameleon 8/8 with side air clamps). I landed an order for 140 shirts. Full front (superman S) and full back., youth small to adult XL.  Black shirts and plastisol ink colors are red; white; yellow. An underbase will be required of course but should I also use a highlight white for the white in the image? I am thinking yes. Doing 2 underbase passes would be too much ink on the shirt to make the white in the image POP with all the other colors it will have that bullet proof effect. This is what I am thinking:

I have a youth pallet (and will order 3 more for this job)...the youth pallet is 12" wide so I will make only one set of screens to accommodate the youth pallet and use those same screens for ALL sizes up to the adult XL. I have verified this with the client.

Front:
3 screens (underbase 156 mesh; red 200 mesh; highlight white 200 mesh)

Back:
4 screens ( (underbase 156 mesh; red 200 mesh; yellow 200 mesh; highlight white 200 mesh)

Am I on the right track? Please tell me if I am using wrong mesh sizes or anything.

Mark

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: I would appreciate any advice on this print
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:13:22 PM »
I rarely use a highlight white.   I know.  I'm the oddball.

Two strokes on the underbase white and flash.  But.....where white is to be solid, that is 100% image (solid).  The white under other colors is only at about 50-60% as a halftone.  Just enough to handle the opacity for the top colors.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:29:15 PM »
I just finished a similar job and used 230s for everything underbase, maroon, yellow, green and hilite white on black shirts. After finishing I think the top colors could have easily gone thru a 280-305. The final print thru the 230s was a bit heavy but not bad at all.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 07:04:35 AM »
Over here we would probably discharge it but if plastiol it would be:
150s underbase
flash
230s or 310s depending on what screens we had available for the rest
yellow
red
flash
highlight white

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:54:31 AM »
Over here we would probably discharge it but if plastiol it would be:
150s underbase
flash
230s or 310s depending on what screens we had available for the rest
yellow
red
flash
highlight white

why would you flash after the red? is it because the red and white touch?
Mark

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 08:18:37 AM »
we would run similar to 123, we always flash before highlite white...this design screams discharge. have you ever messed with it? 140 shirts may not be the best place to start messing with it.

just outta curiosity, how did you price the job?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 08:29:04 AM »
we would run similar to 123, we always flash before highlite white...this design screams discharge. have you ever messed with it? 140 shirts may not be the best place to start messing with it.

just outta curiosity, how did you price the job?

i have never messed with discharge print. I do not have the dryer for it. I have an OLD 8ft econored infrared dryer....without the airflow needed for discharge printing. From what i understand the ariflow isnt mandatory to have but it is extremely beneficial to have for discharge printing.

here is the pricing for a contract job...im showing the pricing of 120 shirts because thats what was originally ordered.

4 color back (underbase;red;yellow;highlight white), 3 color front (underbase; red; highlight white): $3.50 per shirt x 120 = $420.00
2 flashes (one for back underbase, one for front underbase): .70 x 120 = $84
7 screens $140

TOTAL ESTIMATE: $644.00

Mark

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:41:06 AM »
raise your price, that's too cheap!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »
He did say contract.  I assume that is printing price only and does not include supplying the garment.

Those prices seem in line with lots of contract (including ours).

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 10:13:28 AM »
raise your price, that's too cheap!

its contract printing....i do nothing but print...they deliver the shirts to me tuesday.
Mark

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 10:48:07 AM »
that's good then. 
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 11:40:20 AM »
The reason you would flash after red is because of the pickup the highlight screen will do to the red and the red will blur after a few prints, I would say you could use a halftone white base for the top colors, but that will make the top colors look somewhat funky and textured instead of a nice smooth print.  Your on the right track doing it how your doing them, but being on a manual you could do discharge with that dryer you have, yes there is the proper way , but then there's a way LOL

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
i have never messed with discharge print. I do not have the dryer for it. I have an OLD 8ft econored infrared dryer....without the airflow needed for discharge printing. From what i understand the ariflow isnt mandatory to have but it is extremely beneficial to have for discharge printing.

I've dabbled with discharge and have the same "old" econored dryer.  8 foot with 2 elements.  It works in that dryer, but have to slow it way down to evaporate the water.  As long as no extreme hurry, I'd give it a try sometime.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 08:08:53 PM »
I rarely use a highlight white.   I know.  I'm the oddball.

Two strokes on the underbase white and flash.  But.....where white is to be solid, that is 100% image (solid).  The white under other colors is only at about 50-60% as a halftone.  Just enough to handle the opacity for the top colors.

I'm with Wayne, but then I'm about the same age. I'd use a highlight white with a higher mesh count underbase, but can usually pull off a good print without one using a 156.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 08:12:33 PM »

I've dabbled with discharge and have the same "old" econored dryer.  8 foot with 2 elements.  It works in that dryer, but have to slow it way down to evaporate the water.  As long as no extreme hurry, I'd give it a try sometime.

Cant do it on this job as much as i'd like to.....its a rush job so no time for experimenting.
Mark