Author Topic: Are you totally screwed with PS CS5 and half tones?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Donnie

• !!!
Are you totally screwed with PS CS5 and half tones?
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:19:09 PM »
Moving everything over to a new computer and CS5 and noticed there is not a screen menu available... >:(  Did some research and found this thread

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/screen_function_for_separation_output
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:21:54 PM by Donnie »

Offline killergraphics

Re: Are you totally screwed with PS CS5 and half tones?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:03:47 PM »
Donnie, we have talked about that since CS5 came out.

PS has gone all Photo.

You can run 2 versions on the same puter.

1 photo...you camera guy you.

1 for dots.

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »
I've got my old version disk somewhere... goddddammmit!!! Needs to find them.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:06:46 PM »
One of the many reasons I'm colloquially referring to "Adobe's Creative Cloud" subscription service as "Adobe's Pipe Dream".    ::)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
I've always saved my PS files as DCS 2.0 (except in the earlier days when they were DCS 1.0) and printed from Illustrator, still do. I have never printed from PS, though I am aware that this function was removed, and can see how it's frustrating when they change stuff like that. However, just save the file as a DCS 2.0 (it will give it an .eps extension), Place it in Illustrator and print them out, setting all line count, angle and dot shape there. We have a grid with register marks and set up marks, saved as a template, for our MHM press, and just dropped the files in there, make up the color tags for each film and print. All of your colors, set in the channels are imported in with the file, so be sure to name Black something like Black 1 so it doesn't have a conflict with Illy's palltet. It's really pretty easy... So to answer your original question, no, you're not.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline starchild

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 12:30:07 PM »
One of the many reasons I'm colloquially referring to "Adobe's Creative Cloud" subscription service as "Adobe's Pipe Dream".    ::)

The one thing that is beneficial to screen printers in PS CC is the new image re-size algorithm.. It's on par with onOne Perfect Resize.. The upsampling is sweet and as screen printers we do a lot of that. But again it's on par with onOne so we can still live without CC..

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 09:16:12 AM »
Try opening the psd file with Illustrator, it works for me for the most part.
the best way is to just use the "place" command under "File" and just plop the psd file into the illustrator. You'll have to have a file open and drop it into it (as mentioned by Steve, a template is a good choice). It does not have the be and eps, plain psd works just fine.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
From the thread to which Donnie linked, comes this explanation and workaround suggestion from an apparent Photoshop Tech as well:

The reason "Screen" was removed was that it was using PostScript Level I screen commands which did not work correctly on many Level 2 and Level 3 printers. And on most RIPs / PostScript printers, there is a way to set the default screen angles and frequencies. We didn't have the time to fix the problem correctly, so after some discussion, we decided to remove it and add it to our feature list for the future, making sure to do it in a way that's compatible with newer printers, while maintaining compatibility with the old, too.

The good news is that it's not entirely removed. If the screen settings were working for you in an early version of Photoshop, and you save a document with those screen settings from that earlier version, you can print that document from Photoshop CS5 (to a PostScript printer) and the settings that are saved in the document will be used. If you change anything in the "Output" portion of the Photoshop print dialog, they'll likely be clobbered, but if you don't, they seem to work correctly (it's hard for me to say with 100% certainty, as I don't have a printer available which actually uses the old screen commands, so I'm stuck reading the PostScript, but the commands are in there with an old document that I saved from CS3, and it appears there were no changes to the output settings between CS and CS3).

So what you can do is make a document with Photoshop CS with the correct screen settings in it, then open that document in CS5, paste in new content, and Save As... a new file (so you don't clobber the document you created), you should be able to make any number of new documents in CS5 which will screen the way you want. You will also need to go into "Print Settings" to get the page setup correctly, but you could also save that information into the file you re-use so you don't have to do it every time.

I know it's not a perfect solution, and it's pretty clunky. Sorry about that. I'm hoping to get time to add back the screen functionality in a way that will work with today's printers.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »
and now would be a great time for Corel to step in and fill a void, but they won't.

Our industry gets ignored by everybody equally now.  ;)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 12:22:06 PM »
This is the reason I hate upgrades, and try my best to keep my old software around and printers going, just changing to a newer printer can road block yea.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »
The upgrades piss me off too, but I'm usually only 1 version behind, though I did just upgrade to PS CS6. Haven't had a chance to delve into it yet, so I'm still running CS5 daily. Being old, I like things to stay the same, but they don't, so whatcha gonna do?

Steve

I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't