Author Topic: NylaBond. !@&?#%$!  (Read 7740 times)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
Re: NylaBond. !@&?#%$!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
Poly one had a line that they discontinued somwhere around 09 or so, they actually had a full line of nylon purposed plastisols that were awesome, I wonder if they carried that series into one of their other lines. It was the same line they had an awesome poly white on, I think it was called Series One. I still have a quart of the nylon white and an orange. Got them back in 08 at a trade show, opened them, tried them, ordered gallons, I'll have to look but I know bumping into the white sample a few months back, it was still useable. We have some product samples here with that Series One ink on it and it held up awesome. Bat bags and such. Hate when a good product line gets canceled out  :(
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »
I always had issues with the screw top containers--the Union flip top bottle I just close it and put a piece of masking tape around the lid.  We get the better part of a year out of a container.

As I understand it, air is what will make it thicker/solid.  We have a tub of QCM nylo around here somewhere that someone left the lid off overnight--bingo, whole thing turned solid.

I suppose keeping anything cool slows down chemical reactions as well... not sure I want that stuff by food though.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:01:07 PM by ScreenFoo »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »

I suppose keeping anything cool slows down chemical reactions as well... not sure I want that stuff by food though.

Well that would all depend on how one categorizes beer. But even if in the home fridge if I was concerned about possible fumes I use a jar to both keep it securely on its cap and could be closed off from any fumes in fact I think mine always did sit in a mug or ajar or something with a little bit of weight to keep it upside down securely.

By the way, this is my first post with the Dragon speech software.
Pretty slick.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 12:53:36 PM »
I am probably ordering the NB-70 product today.  Nazdar said on the phone, the NB-72 (supersedes the NB-70) can last for up to 24 months....WHEN stored correctly. Might just give that a try.

Pierre, have you found anything that you don't like the Union catalyst for?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
Pretty slick.

Must have come a long way. I tried it when it first came out thinking I could get out of typing reports in middle school.
If you thought speech recognition on the first cell phones was bad....

I'd heard that Google started Google Voice (free phone service) in an effort to start better recognizing human speech.
Part of the agreement to the free service was allowing their computers to listen in on your conversations.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 02:56:19 PM »
Pretty slick.

Must have come a long way. I tried it when it first came out thinking I could get out of typing reports in middle school.
If you thought speech recognition on the first cell phones was bad....

I'd heard that Google started Google Voice (free phone service) in an effort to start better recognizing human speech.
Part of the agreement to the free service was allowing their computers to listen in on your conversations.

I too was pleasantly surprised that the accuracy of this newer version of Dragon.
I'm also very surprised how accurate Seery is  for me on my phone, though you can see that Dragon doesn't understand the word Seery. I do believe there is a way of teaching that, and adding it to my vocabulary.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »
I think we still have our one and only jar of nylobond, bought from qcm, still good to go 7 years in now.  I recall Frog's suggestion to store upside down (I also put it in a little plastic tub in case of leakage) was posted on a long dead msg board.  Sometimes you need to remove a little skin but that's it.

I thought Colin mentioned everyone's nylobond is the same stuff but I guess someone's is different.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 05:07:33 PM »
I am probably ordering the NB-70 product today.  Nazdar said on the phone, the NB-72 (supersedes the NB-70) can last for up to 24 months....WHEN stored correctly. Might just give that a try.

Pierre, have you found anything that you don't like the Union catalyst for?

can't say I tried anything else, so I don't know if there is anything missing, but it seems to work fine when we need it.
Few months back we had an issue with it though. When added to our normal white ink it turned the ink hard rather than runny. I think it did not like the phthalate free ink or something. I've been using it for years and never had any issues and unfortunately 'have no idea what the problem was or how they fixed it.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
There are surfectants (sp?) in Unions Nylobond.

Speaking of, Darryl--don't use unions Nylobond with your WM white.  Same thing as Pierre's talking about.

Zoo--how often do you use nylo?  It always seemed to me that the shelf life was inversely proportional to how many times you open it...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »
We use Nylo like once or twice a year typically.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 03:37:09 PM »
We recently brought in Excalibur’s X-150 Nylon Additive... I haven’t seen any like this before? It is a milky white liquid. All of the bonding agents that I have dealt with in the past were much thicker (Like honey)... I honestly don’t know if it will do any better than the thicker ones, we have only sold a few since it came in, but it is very different from anything I have seen? If it turns out it doesn’t have the same hardening issues, I will let yall know  ;)
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
We are in Texas so the pot life on the old honey like catalyst were horrible. We switched to the Excalibur X150 about a year ago and haven't looked back, our customers have been very pleased with it.  It is a liquid so it is much easier to mix in, and it does not solidify in the container.  Still mix the same ratio....

http://www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=62&products_id=1073
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 08:44:30 PM »
We use Nylo like once or twice a year typically.

I was just going to say it seems like I can open a container maybe ten to twenty times.  I guess the math works out about right.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 10:43:29 AM »
We are in Texas so the pot life on the old honey like catalyst were horrible. We switched to the Excalibur X150 about a year ago and haven't looked back, our customers have been very pleased with it.  It is a liquid so it is much easier to mix in, and it does not solidify in the container.  Still mix the same ratio....

http://www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=62&products_id=1073

Good to know!! Thx for the info.
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »

THIS(!) might be the answer I was looking for....