Author Topic: Cleaning out channels/grooves  (Read 2549 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Cleaning out channels/grooves
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »
Whats the best way to clean out the channels and de-burr/de-nick some m3s?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Cleaning out channels/grooves
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »
I use the 3M sanding sponges.  The one that has the 45 degree angles will get up inside the channel perfectly.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54004-98-9558-SP60_0__?productId=3746777&Ntt=sanding+sponge&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dsanding%2Bsponge&facetInfo=
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:22:10 PM »
I gotta try one of those--the 3m green pads are good with press wash, but you have to shove them into the channel to get it nice and clean.
The scrub pads won't touch a nick or a burr, but cut into any ink or adhesive residue pretty quick.

Is 60 grit pretty tough on them, or is it not quite the same as standard 60 grit aluminum oxide?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »
Scotchbrite, 600 grit wet dry, and a nice flat blade object like a large flat blade screwdriver with the side edges rounded so you dont make high spots when massaging out dents.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:57:25 PM »
I've always gotten moderate nicks and imperfections with the med and fine grit sponges.  Never tried blues way but it would work great that way too. I also use the sponges to get tape and adhesive off frames, oh, and ink and dried emulsion.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 06:42:58 AM »
Never considered the sponges, picked up some last night to try.

I have always used a flat screw driver with the tip bent to scrape the crud out followed by a stiff stainless steel wire brush.

Dents get worked out with a screw driver.

Burs and Knicks get the file, Emory cloth and then a Scotch Brite pad or a small wire cup brush on a die grinder. The cup brush is great for taking rough edges off especially on aluminum.

WD-40 works good as a cleaner, a little scrubbing with a course scrub pad and it will take off the emulsion, ink and tape residue.