Author Topic: Input on used retensionables  (Read 14711 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Input on used retensionables
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 12:52:10 PM »
there is a big difference between used and GOOD used. I've bought some used stuff that literally looked like it never saw action.  Deals like that are rare.  I agree though, spending time cleaning frames can be a waste...time better spent making sales calls, following up with customers or posting useless crap on the forum. ;)

Thats assuming you would be the one having to clean them, maybe you have employees that need fill in time. Then you could have even more time to post on silly forums! ;D

What has happened here is Brandt mentioned he wont do used, that sparked a discussion about buying used newmans and peoples personally experience. It was never intended to persuade Brandt otherwise just a simple discussion, a valuable discussion as well for others in the future that want to know if buying used newmans is worth it. They can be pointed to this thread and read peoples experiences and also learn tricks to cleaning used rollers.

Brandt stop taking things so personally brother!
"No man is an island"

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 12:54:19 PM »
there is a big difference between used and GOOD used

yep.  I've seen some crazy frames from larger shops, just totally mangled and I've received a whole shipment of near perfect ones too. 

You can get away with gnarly frames more easily when using standard thread mesh at "normal" tensions.  Thin thread and high tension will quickly sour the deal if the used frames you got weren't in excellent condition.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
there is a big difference between used and GOOD used. I've bought some used stuff that literally looked like it never saw action.  Deals like that are rare.  I agree though, spending time cleaning frames can be a waste...time better spent making sales calls, following up with customers or posting useless crap on the forum. ;)

Thats assuming you would be the one having to clean them, maybe you have employees that need fill in time. Then you could have even more time to post on silly forums! ;D

What has happened here is Brandt mentioned he wont do used, that sparked a discussion about buying used newmans and peoples personally experience. It was never intended to persuade Brandt otherwise just a simple discussion, a valuable discussion as well for others in the future that want to know if buying used newmans is worth it. They can be pointed to this thread and read peoples experiences and also learn tricks to cleaning used rollers.

Brandt stop taking things so personally brother!

I would agree but I was "quoted" and my situation referenced thus making personally about our situation.  They want to start drama.  I happy to mix it up if they point fingers. 

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »
We have a grinding op and stretch and glue op upstairs in the mezzo. Thousands of static alums. We control all the tension and adhesion aspects to meet our needs. Rollers are barely used. Have a few hundred rollers but they won't work on our presses.
No one misses them.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 01:03:56 PM »
Unless your shop is running full tilt every shift and no one ever has down time then it makes sense to go new on anything.

We generally have no extra time for it, so that was the context I made my post in.  If we had extra time, id say used might be OK as I can just have my employees clean them and get them going.  Right now we are finishing the weeks work around 5pm on Friday.  So we are all enjoying our nights and weekends off.  NO amount of savings would make me change my mind there with our current situation.  If it changes maybe my opinion could change. 

We like new stuff.  Just how I roll.  I have had my fair share of used things in my life.  Which is why I lean at new stuff. 

Ya, I mean who are you all gonna hate if I dont play the ass...  ;)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2013, 01:04:12 PM »
Damn, Darryl's on tilt lol don't see that often!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2013, 01:13:06 PM »
As far as I know, TCT started this thread and wanted some input on used retentionables...I know I wasn't trying to persuade Brandt to do anything, that's pointless and a waste of time.  My comments were for those who want to know my take on it and if you don't agree with me, fine.  But just like there is nobody here that could convince me new roller frames are better than used, nobody is going to convince Brandt that he should buy used.  I've got experience with used and new frames and I gave a little bit of that experience to those who want to use it, that's it.   

We don't have time to mess with roller frames but we do, cause we sure as hell don't have time to be double stroking and running revolver mode on anything right now.  I've got a crew that doesn't need me all the time so when I have 10 minutes I'll stretch a screen or clean a frame, I end up getting 3-5 screens into production per week despite doing twice the workload we did last June.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2013, 01:22:29 PM »
As far as I know, TCT started this thread and wanted some input on used retentionables...I know I wasn't trying to persuade Brandt to do anything, that's pointless and a waste of time.  My comments were for those who want to know my take on it and if you don't agree with me, fine.  But just like there is nobody here that could convince me new roller frames are better than used, nobody is going to convince Brandt that he should buy used.  I've got experience with used and new frames and I gave a little bit of that experience to those who want to use it, that's it.   

We don't have time to mess with roller frames but we do, cause we sure as hell don't have time to be double stroking and running revolver mode on anything right now.  I've got a crew that doesn't need me all the time so when I have 10 minutes I'll stretch a screen or clean a frame, I end up getting 3-5 screens into production per week despite doing twice the workload we did last June.

I was fine with people suggesting how they do it in a discussion format.  Thats what forums are for, but not so much as they POINT (reply to me, reference my situation).  It comes off as a know it all.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2013, 01:25:13 PM »

Actually I started the thread because I was in a bidding war against Brandt on these used ones, I knew how bad he wanted them and I just coulden't let it happen! ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »

Actually I started the thread because I was in a bidding war against Brandt on these used ones, I knew how bad he wanted them and I just coulden't let it happen! ;D

;)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »
Brandt, if your talking about my post yes it was directed at you, just telling you that new stuff has problems to, no where in there did I tell you to buy used you took that sh!t on your own and run with it like you do most things people say to you.  I can't tell anybody here how to run there shop, I have a hard enough time with it myself, but if you feel like people are always tryin g to dig on you ask yourself why. For the most part people just make a comment and you go from 0 to 100 and smart posting smart ass remarks, then you try to explain why your right, come dude your better than that.  You can take a joke or comment some one makes and turn it into all about me when really its not, when it just what it is a comment.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »
Brandt, if your talking about my post yes it was directed at you, just telling you that new stuff has problems to, no where in there did I tell you to buy used you took that sh!t on your own and run with it like you do most things people say to you.  I can't tell anybody here how to run there shop, I have a hard enough time with it myself, but if you feel like people are always tryin g to dig on you ask yourself why. For the most part people just make a comment and you go from 0 to 100 and smart posting smart ass remarks, then you try to explain why your right, come dude your better than that.  You can take a joke or comment some one makes and turn it into all about me when really its not, when it just what it is a comment.

Darryl

I don't need to ask myself why, I know why.  People dig at me because they want the drama.  No matter if they admit it or not.  The same ones do it all the time, they know the result, they like it, they repeat it.  I laugh and give them a show. 

For the record, you have never seen me at 100 sir.  Internet banter is nothing more than a form of entertainment for me.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
Thanks TCT now I actually remember who I sold those used rollers to ;D
"No man is an island"

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »
This is entertainment?  I must get out a lot more than I thought...   ;D

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2013, 02:15:33 PM »
Alright, now Ive had it up to here...

Dammit, Brandt, you listen and you listen good, cuz I aint repeating it again...you WILL get your ass out there and buy a bunch of used retensionables, you understand? And they damn well better be tensioned up to at least 50n, cuz no one can print less than that. Oh and dont let me catch you runnin Revolver mode either, thats an absolute no-no. And you better have that DTS, cuz no shop on the planet can operate without one, and I dont care how much scotch tape costs. Oh and while I'm at it, you damn well better not be separating under old color theory right? Dont you dare let me catch you outsourcing that stuff to some qualified professional..whattaya, stupid or something?!

Get on it, ya prick!

(did i leave anything out?)
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!