Author Topic: Input on used retensionables  (Read 14729 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Input on used retensionables
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 03:55:23 PM »
Hey Brandt on a lighter note what year model is that truck you just got?

Darryl

2013, bought it brand new. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »
Don't won't derail this thread, but I saw a truck like that on Stacy Davis"s show didn't have that front end yours got, but they put on a super charger....

D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:49:39 AM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »
I personally don't think any of you guys should buy used roller frames.  I'd hate to see y'all waste 10-15 minutes of time and save $50/frame.  I've got over 200 used ones and I've dealt with the good and bad of used frames.  I've also dealt with new frames and I'll just say it was nice, but not as nice as getting used ones in average shape for $15/per.  Next time anyone sees used ones for sale just walk away, and send me an email about them :).

Now maybe I can buy all the used ones that come up instead of getting beat to the punch.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »
Don't wan't derail this thread, but I saw a truck like that on Stacy Davis"s show didn't have that front end yours got, but they put on a super charger....

D

Different model probably.  Sport gets a different bumper/hood/lights/etc.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »
My thoughts exactly Alan.  I just saved over $10k on 150 frames. But what do I know.....

Again, there's a reputable broker near me with 30 - 23x31's.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 10:37:52 PM »
My thoughts exactly Alan.  I just saved over $10k on 150 frames. But what do I know.....

Again, there's a reputable broker near me with 30 - 23x31's.

Can you shoot me info on those 30? 

I'm with you guys, don't own one single frame we bought new, but I think if you're in a big hurry or first time out, new is helpful.   

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »
I pulled the trigger on the frames I originally started this thread about and they came in today.... Some of them look like they have been used once! I didn't really get the chance to check out the whole pallet today, but I will break into them tomorrow and post some pics of the worst ones. In this case I really think it was worth it to buy them used.

Anyone know what 25x33 M3's go for new?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 07:31:35 AM »

I understand the cleaning argument but at a third of the cost for used to me it makes no sense to buy new. Maybe I'm just cheap. Like eb said just flip the rollers an they are fine or just pry the channel back out. Knicks and burrs can easliy be cleaned up with a file and emory cloth.

When ever I see a good deal on some frames I grab them. Never got burned but all need some tlc.

Attached pic shows the best little tool we have every found for cleaning rollers and channels, made of a similar material to the scotch bite pads but seem to last for several dozen screens.  Simply drop the screen in a dip tank to pre-soften some of the crud and then start using the 'brush' in your drill.  Only a couple minutes per screen and 90% of the crud is gone, including polyken adhesive residue.

My production manager found these a year ago and we love 'em.

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 11:12:25 AM »
I will agree I bought about 25 use rollers for like 7.50 ea dude needed to unload them as he was selling everything in his shop, I had to clean some, but a good deal no less.  Yep I,m with Alan let me at some of that used stuff, for me the difference in new and used is you get to play with it first  ::).

Darryl

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »

I understand the cleaning argument but at a third of the cost for used to me it makes no sense to buy new. Maybe I'm just cheap. Like eb said just flip the rollers an they are fine or just pry the channel back out. Knicks and burrs can easliy be cleaned up with a file and emory cloth.

When ever I see a good deal on some frames I grab them. Never got burned but all need some tlc.

Attached pic shows the best little tool we have every found for cleaning rollers and channels, made of a similar material to the scotch bite pads but seem to last for several dozen screens.  Simply drop the screen in a dip tank to pre-soften some of the crud and then start using the 'brush' in your drill.  Only a couple minutes per screen and 90% of the crud is gone, including polyken adhesive residue.

My production manager found these a year ago and we love 'em.

~Kitson

Those look PERFECT.  Gotta wear those safety goggles though.   8)

Probably an auto body shop kind of thing?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »
My shop doesn't have time for cleaning up used screens unfortunately, so id just have to do it on weekends or at night or something.  I don't HAVE to work like that anymore so I am HAPPY to pay for new ones.   Context is so important ya know.

I fully understand those of you that have time to do it and you need to save a buck though.  Nothing wrong with that at all if that's what you want/need to do, but why some of you try to force that on others whom clearly say they wouldn't do it that way blows my mind.  There is no term for that at all!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 12:04:56 PM »
Brandt, I really don't think anyone gives a Fuk what you do with your money, I sorry, I don't want to dig on you but man you can get under the skin quick.  The statement I made a few post back was not a dig on you, as you took it to be, all I said was new stuff could have problems too and I even said I had bought new stuff that was broken, how you took that as trying to tell you what to do I don't know.  You act like a spoiled child on here at times with your come back on folks when they post something you don't like, most times I will try and skip over your post or comments cuz you act like a fuking brat, stop being so defensive.  I think you've have gotten your point across that you live the good life, and you should you work for it.  I did not want to blast at you like this, but dam dude.....

Darryl

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »
Brandt, I really don't think anyone gives a Fuk what you do with your money, I sorry, I don't want to dig on you but man you can get under the skin quick.  The statement I made a few post back was not a dig on you, as you took it to be, all I said was new stuff could have problems too and I even said I had bought new stuff that was broken, how you took that as trying to tell you what to do I don't know.  You act like a spoiled child on here at times with your come back on folks when they post something you don't like, most times I will try and skip over your post or comments cuz you act like a fuking brat, stop being so defensive.  I think you've have gotten your point across that you live the good life, and you should you work for it.  I did not want to blast at you like this, but dam dude.....

Darryl

After a few posts directed at me yes I replied.  Call me crazy but to me it was clear I wasn't interested in used screens.  I didn't ask to be sold on it, told how new stuff breaks at times too (duh) and so on.  I mean how much more clear could I be in my original post?  I feel like some of you could use some reading and comprehension classes. 

Please tell me how this could be taken any way but what I said?  Original post below.

But I wont do used.  I dont want someone else's problems, no matter the discount.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.  Why some of you direct posts at me trying to get me do it "your" way is interesting.  There is a term for it.....

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
Unless your shop is running full tilt every shift and no one ever has down time then it makes sense to go new on anything. In our case business is fickle one week can be over booked and be forced to work extra hours and weekends, the next week can be normal and always have a week in the mix that has down time. Its those times I put my guys to work on cleaning PM odd projects shelved for down time. I am sure many shops here never suffer from slow weeks but I would guess most of us have the typical up and down ride our industry goes through.

A couple weeks ago we added our third person to our printing crew, mostly because I have been suffering a severe back problem and am unable to chip in like I used to. The other reason is because we have been slammed, but now things are slowing down for this and next week and I have to figure out how to keep the extra guy busy. My thoughts has been getting back into doing retensionables again, I will buy used and put our guy to work on cleaning them and assembling its a win win situation.

I got away from rollers a few years ago because of the time needed to fuss with them in fact I think I sold a few to Evo maybe?

Anyways just goes to show everyone has a different way of approaching things, I prefer to generate work for our employees any way possible and a lot of times used stuff does the trick.

"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 12:42:59 PM »
there is a big difference between used and GOOD used. I've bought some used stuff that literally looked like it never saw action.  Deals like that are rare.  I agree though, spending time cleaning frames can be a waste...time better spent making sales calls, following up with customers or posting useless crap on the forum. ;)