Author Topic: How would you print this effect?  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
How would you print this effect?
« on: June 11, 2013, 12:46:55 AM »
A thinned out white on top of the orange? My thinking is:

180 Underbase under the orange
230 For the orange
180-230 for the top white thinned out.

Am I close?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: How would you print this effect?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 07:32:22 AM »
this might work depending on what your are defining as a "thinned out white" print

from a previous post

we have used this method on some tee shirts to get a color washed out effect, it worked pretty good for our purpose on shirts and we only printed a few but the effect was pretty cool we thought.

Here goes ........we wanted a typical black outline  with a very weak black fill inside the outline such that the shirt would show through as if it were washed out over time while the outline was crisp,  strong and new. Almost like a faded and worn shirt had been re-printed. We were using typical black plastisol ink

Step one create the art & screens as normal, the weak inner fill black we wanted was printed as standard full black with a 195 on a piece of light embroidery backing or pellon to screen printers. You will see the first print on the pellon is weak but as you hit it one or more times it gets pretty full of ink and actually works like a stamp pad works with a rubber stamp.

Now we have a piece of pellon pretty nicely charged with black ink in a crisp image of the inner ink color.

Next we took a fully coated and exposed screen that contains no image, just a fully coated area way larger than the image on the pellon. Ok you may have guessed it we laid this screen on to pellon pulled a light squeegee over the screen and transferred the pellon excess ink to the bottom of the blank screen. You will need to coat the squeegee side of the screen so the squeegee slides nice, we use silicone spray...slides like a sled on snow.

We then transferred this picked up image to the shirt we wanted to print leaving a very nice but weak semi transparent print of nicely faded washed out looking black image.

Next we printed our normal outline and the result was just what we wanted, a faded / weak washed out looking inner effect with a crisp and dark outer image outline.
It kinda looked like the shirt was washed & faded over time and then somehow reprinted with fresh ink just for the outline.

DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:56:47 AM »
I like the creativness of Moosmans post. Thats one that I would like to try as well one day.

For this image, (and we can have 5 different ways to do this from different people) but this is one of them.

I would print that gray stripes in a solid 130 mesh.  Then, take my (solid orange area) with no halftones and put that on a 305 mesh. That should overprint your gray lines. Add reducer to the amount where I can get that look. I might imagine a 50/50 or 40/60 % I think thats about all you need. The amount all depends on how much pigment the reducer thins out. Not sure on the amount. Registration would be a cake walk as well.

I won a cake walk once. I was so proud.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
How would you print this effect?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:56:34 PM »
this might work depending on what your are defining as a "thinned out white" print

from a previous post

we have used this method on some tee shirts to get a color washed out effect, it worked pretty good for our purpose on shirts and we only printed a few but the effect was pretty cool we thought.

Here goes ........we wanted a typical black outline  with a very weak black fill inside the outline such that the shirt would show through as if it were washed out over time while the outline was crisp,  strong and new. Almost like a faded and worn shirt had been re-printed. We were using typical black plastisol ink

Step one create the art & screens as normal, the weak inner fill black we wanted was printed as standard full black with a 195 on a piece of light embroidery backing or pellon to screen printers. You will see the first print on the pellon is weak but as you hit it one or more times it gets pretty full of ink and actually works like a stamp pad works with a rubber stamp.

Now we have a piece of pellon pretty nicely charged with black ink in a crisp image of the inner ink color.

Next we took a fully coated and exposed screen that contains no image, just a fully coated area way larger than the image on the pellon. Ok you may have guessed it we laid this screen on to pellon pulled a light squeegee over the screen and transferred the pellon excess ink to the bottom of the blank screen. You will need to coat the squeegee side of the screen so the squeegee slides nice, we use silicone spray...slides like a sled on snow.

We then transferred this picked up image to the shirt we wanted to print leaving a very nice but weak semi transparent print of nicely faded washed out looking black image.

Next we printed our normal outline and the result was just what we wanted, a faded / weak washed out looking inner effect with a crisp and dark outer image outline.
It kinda looked like the shirt was washed & faded over time and then somehow reprinted with fresh ink just for the outline.
I love it

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »
At work.  :P

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »
 ;)
At work.  :P
Yeah that would be the plan lol, just looking for advice is all.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:51:25 PM by Prosperi-Tees »

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:47:05 AM »

from a previous post

Mike, for the application you are describing, it's 3 screens right?  1 for the black solid to the pelon, 1 emulsion screen for the pelon pickup and transfer to shirt, and 1 for the outline on the shirt.  I thought I was counting right, but just checking.  Besides, it's late, lol.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »
 like Mooses creativity but we would bang that out in two screens bang zoom. Not allowed to say how sorry

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »

from a previous post

Mike, for the application you are describing, it's 3 screens right?  1 for the black solid to the pelon, 1 emulsion screen for the pelon pickup and transfer to shirt, and 1 for the outline on the shirt.  I thought I was counting right, but just checking.  Besides, it's late, lol.

Hey Wayne, actually after I posted this initially Frog came up with a 1 screen reduction by simply combining the outline black screen and the fade black "stamp pad screen" as one.
But to answer your question, yes you are counting correctly
mooseman

DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:26:59 AM »
Could you discharge the gray and base the hell out of the orange?

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 11:37:20 AM »

from a previous post

Hey Wayne, actually after I posted this initially Frog came up with a 1 screen reduction by simply combining the outline black screen and the fade black "stamp pad screen" as one.
mooseman

I did what? where? huh?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 01:24:14 PM »
Discharge for the orange and plastisol for the white.

Gives the real feel of back and foreground.

If you underbase the orange and print the trans white in one hit the "background" will actually
stick up above the foreground.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 02:39:17 PM »

from a previous post

mooseman

I did what? where? huh?

You did and it was good ;)"Frog came up with a 1 screen reduction by simply combining the outline black screen and the fade black "stamp pad screen" as one".
mooseman

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
Okay, so this was back a while. This old brain doesn't remember, but I'm glad that I could help!  :)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »
Okay, so this was back a while. This old brain doesn't remember, but I'm glad that I could help!  :)

it was back in fact wayback so far Mr Peabody's wayback machine might be needed, I tried it but overshot a bit
Peabody's Improbable History - Surrender of Cornwallis