Author Topic: Cloud storage  (Read 5249 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Cloud storage
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »
actually, changing characters does not really matter. There are 95 characters and they cycle through every one.

use a different random password for each site and you should be pretty safe. The gist of the article is that they can crack your password on some sites very easily. If you are using the same password across the multiple sites, they can get access even to places that are secure. It is a long read, but very eye opening and worth the time, even if it is just the first page to get a general idea of how bad the things really are (one site was cracked and something like 14,000,000 passwords were recovered).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 05:08:38 PM »
It was a great read... thanks Pierre!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 06:48:42 PM »
we use 2x NAS - Synology

one 10TB one in house and a 2TB one that is at my apartment and every night the main Synology backs up to the one in my apartment.  Also both have drive redundancy so technically I have like 3.5 copies of every file.  Right now we are just under 1TB of total storage for all of our files.

We used to use Jungledisk but that thing bogs down computers and isn't good for the amount of people we have now on the network, about 20+.  Also we can remote access the Synology easily and use other goodies on them.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 07:55:03 PM »
You want to know the easiest way to make a REALLY bad-a$$ password?  (no, it doesn't involve using $ for "S"  ;D )   Pick 12 byte values (i.e. 0-255) at random, use ALT and the keypad to enter each character.

Only proper authentication routines will let you do all the fancy characters though--some password systems will go out of their way to get you to choose poor passwords, i.e. no special characters, 8 character limit, caps are filtered, etc...

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa wait a second ABC123 isn't kosher?

Sorry I couldn't resist:
Spaceballs 12345
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Northland

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 09:37:40 PM »
You want to know the easiest way to make a REALLY bad-a$$ password?  (no, it doesn't involve using $ for "S"  ;D )   Pick 12 byte values (i.e. 0-255) at random, use ALT and the keypad to enter each character.

Only proper authentication routines will let you do all the fancy characters though--some password systems will go out of their way to get you to choose poor passwords, i.e. no special characters, 8 character limit, caps are filtered, etc...

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa wait a second ABC123 isn't kosher?

Sorry I couldn't resist:
Spaceballs 12345

I saw a Mel Brooks interview recently... and he said the revenue stream from Spaceballs was larger than any of his other hit movies.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
I don't even have to click on it.  "That's the same combination I have on my luggage!"

I believe that password would get cracked--at ludicrous speed.   ;D

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:32 PM »
of course if you trust internet companies, it looks like they are allowing the government to mine through emails and the like.  scary crap.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 09:32:25 AM »
I think it's one of those "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" kind of things...

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2012/05/google-guy-who-snooped-wireless-data-was-god-among-engineers/51754/

FTC investigated--no fine.  They did sternly reprimand the company, however.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »
Dude, that story's old.  Check out the Prism Program...that is some scary crap.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »
That's nothing, check out the "Gyre and Gimble" program.  It's the genesis of all the others.    ;D

No, in all seriousness, what you're talking about is even older news.   Echelon was outed in the nineties...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »
Yeah, it's a different now since we have so much online.  People's lives are online, there was no online banking, backups, cloud storage, facebook, gmail back in the 90's...our entire lives are online now.