Author Topic: Screen cost analysis  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
Screen cost analysis
« on: May 16, 2013, 03:18:10 PM »
Anyone out there have a ballpark idea what it costs to put a 20x24 wood frame through the coat/reclaim/recoat cycle. (Using Ulano RLX, FYI) I know how to figure it up myself, but last time I counted screens per bucket of emulsion/gallon of ink degradent, etc., turned all the figures into the bosses, and never heard another thing about it. This is for my own self-torture. Am currently re-shooting a couple pairs of screens because a school teacher/senior advisor (who apparently doesn't lock her tee shirt storage closet) claims that the 3 people here who counted the goods, are incapable of doing so accurately.
Grrr! 4 screens x 1 shirt = reason I will never get a raise around here!
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Screen cost analysis
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »
I did it recently, and came up with about $9 per screen including labor. This was a rather loose calculation and I certain it was off, but it is better than nothing. I bet you Greg Kitson and Alan can give it to you down to a penny!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
Well, I would be that accurate too if I took the moon phases into account. ;)

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »
I did it recently, and came up with about $9 per screen including labor. This was a rather loose calculation and I certain it was off, but it is better than nothing. I bet you Greg Kitson and Alan can give it to you down to a penny!

pierre

Pierre,

Did you add anything for the cost of original out lay for the frame and mesh?
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 05:05:08 PM »

pierre

My shop, My variables, My Crew, My Overhead, Consumables about $3 bucks and labor about $7 bucks per screen.  Actual cost from last time studies was $10.32 per screen to break even with no cost shifting from substrate Profitability.

In other words if your screen charge is not at least $10.33, you are subsidizing your customer.  It can be built in to an all inclusive price or a line item screen charge, your choice. 

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
It's been a while since I did this and I don't have my notebook in front of me but I think it was in the 8.50 range.  I remember being surprised and realizing that dropping our screen fee down to $10 was no longer a good idea.  I'd need to redo the numbers again since things have changed at our shop and maybe I can get to that next week, I'll find this thread when I do and submit our numbers.  Our numbers were inflated at the time due to thicker-than-needed stencils and we are now getting more screens from a gallon of emulsion.  I remember there being some gallons of the PHW Red that would be empty at 35 screens!
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 05:41:23 PM »

pierre

Pierre,

Did you add anything for the cost of original out lay for the frame and mesh?

I did not, but the replacement cost is in there. In other word, no capital equipment amortized, but maintenance is in there. It probably comes up to about $0.50 per screen charge, but is rapidly coming down as we do more and more orders with the same number of screens.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 06:25:06 PM »
17.00 +/ screen.  At the time we where paying more than double for Tape, Film and Emulsion.  Labor was eating up a majority of the cost.  We have recently installed a dip-tank and retrained staff, and will do another cost analysis  within the next month or so. 

Offline Lizard

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
We allow for $15 cost per screen and with that we gang most screens so $30 per screen. With that we allow 5 minutes for film output, 5 minutes for registration, exposure and washout, 15 minutes for blockout and press setup, 10 minutes for tear down, 5 minutes for reclaim, 5 minutes to coat.  So we easily have 45 minutes per screen (running two images)and another $5 in consumables.  This is about $20 and a single image screen would be around 35 minutes round trip so closer to $15 range.

All these costs have to be covered somewhere and I think our times are pretty efficient.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225