Author Topic: whats your biggest "time suck" in your shop?  (Read 6802 times)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
Re: whats your biggest "time suck" in your shop?
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
I'll see if I can get some pics up some time in the next few days.  Essentially I have turned my Triloc master frame into an MHM style FPU.  I turned it upside down and raised it up off the table so that it hits the same side of the corners on the pallet jig as the FPU.  It does not sit on the exposure unit and has a dedicated table next to the exposure unit where everything is registered.  I register my film exactly how you would on an MHM system but with my corners butted up again my stop points instead of locked in the pins like on the MHM FPU and the registration grid is showing through the emulsion from the squeegee side and you simply tape the film directly onto the shirt side.

Ah, I see.

So the critical piece is that you are looking down through the mesh/emulsion to a grid, and you register to that. Correct? Do you tape one of the films to the grid, or is there a set target on the grid you always register to?

Carrier sheets can be a pain sometimes, but you can't beat registering films to each other on a light table with a loupe.

Before I sold everything off, I was looking into this:
http://www.takachpress.com/servlet/the-3/punch-registration-system-printmaking/Detail

Basically do away with carrier sheets and punch the films directly, then use a set of punch registration pins and a sheet of aluminum to make a pin bar. (ie not using the Tri-loc pin bar)
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)