Author Topic: The Separation Show  (Read 2253 times)

AdvancedArtist

The Separation Show
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:49:38 PM »
So we are starting a video series The Separation Show.. on Youtube to open this up.

The next episode will cover seping in to layers for better accuracy in seps than channels in PS with dead on accurate dot gain controls which should be out by tomorrow night.

But what we want to know is what do you want to know about separations so we can plan future episodes.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:53:26 PM by AdvancedArtist »

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: The Separation Show
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:23:40 AM »
base plates and highlights, also black screens to print on black shirts when you have a flattened image on a black background...that one stumps me.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
What stumps me with the HSB.

I tried a crappy typical scanned image from a dusty. I followed your basic steps but initially I could not get a black pull because all the black in the image was not a true black so it didn't pull anything at all. How can you pull a black initially which seems to be critical to doing HSB if the black in the image is not true? It seems like you would have to make some preemptive adjustments but those adjustments will damage the hues.

"No man is an island"

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:40:32 PM »
base plates and highlights, also black screens to print on black shirts when you have a flattened image on a black background...that one stumps me.

Thanks Homer we will get that on the list... give it a week or two. I have company from out of town the next few days.

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:41:22 PM »
What stumps me with the HSB.

I tried a crappy typical scanned image from a dusty. I followed your basic steps but initially I could not get a black pull because all the black in the image was not a true black so it didn't pull anything at all. How can you pull a black initially which seems to be critical to doing HSB if the black in the image is not true? It seems like you would have to make some preemptive adjustments but those adjustments will damage the hues.

Sounds like a color space issue please email me the file.. I will take a look.

Offline sullyman

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
So we are starting a video series The Separation Show.. on Youtube to open this up.

The next episode will cover seping in to layers for better accuracy in seps than channels in PS with dead on accurate dot gain controls which should be out by tomorrow night.

But what we want to know is what do you want to know about separations so we can plan future episodes.

Awesome, glad you both decided to go for it. I'm really excited for this, I think this is a great idea!
John Sullivan / Freelance Illustrator - StoreYoutubeBehanceEmail Me

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 12:00:50 AM »
Have to apologize for the delay I got side tracked with the flu the last week. In the meantime we decided to do the next show as covering layer seps in PS and then to the press for the print. Working on the attached layout at the moment for that. May not be the final design I want to add some touches and effects etc in the text and a few other places. Should be interesting as the focus will be layer seps and dot gain both in the graphics apps and on press.

I will keep you posted.