Author Topic: Discharge gradient blend?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Discharge gradient blend?
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »
How would you sep this in illustrator to get a good blend?  Currently just a gradient in illustrator using red and white spot colors.  I want to avoid the black shirt showing through so I don't know if I should overlap them by duplicating the text and sliding the gradient location slider for each color in order to that they overlap more.  I also remember TP mentioning something about inverting (not the correct word but I cannot remember what word he used) the halftones and did not know what he was talking about (I wish I could say this was the only time that was the case!)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Discharge gradient blend?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:44:28 AM »
Think you'd have the best luck printing the red on top of a white discharge ub.  Apparently halftone gradient dots out of illustrator STACK on top of each other rather than interlock, but I'm sure someone will post more details after me!

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 09:55:41 AM »
Overlapping should do it just might half to play with the levels of the fades

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:12:38 AM »
Here are some DC fades

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:02:30 AM »
Overlapping should do it just might half to play with the levels of the fades

What do you mean by "levels"?  Are you talking about the location slider or something else?  Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
Levels based on halftone res and the slider. This will determine how gradual or harsh the fade will look. Not a stupid question perhaps a poor term for me to use

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:37:38 PM »
Got it!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »
Leave the white where you want it to fade out and adjust the red gradient slider so that it fades a bit higher so that they overlap well.
Print the red first on this one and if white is your last color consider a crush screen if they don't blend well without it.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
Damn.......... thought I trademarked "Crush Screen"! We don't use them for blends but it is an excellent consideration if you are not getting the desired results. Good idea to keepone around anyways. Nothing to register just slap it in and give it a shot. We do use them for crushing red and yellow to make orange (example) without an extra film/screen/setup. You might have to wait till July for that tut.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »
Playing hide the dots.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 01:53:23 PM »
This board is great!  Wouldn't have thought of the crush screen.  I have outputted some sample film and even with the overlap when I line up the two films on the light table the dots line up and create area of open halftones.  Is there anyway to invert the halftone pattern on one of the colors within illustrator or accurip?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
Did you extend the red to print under the white?

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »
I was typing the below as you responded eb, I would appreciate your thoughts!

Ran some more films and it was not until the slider was moved 40% that the two films began to fill in when lined up on a light table.  At least enough that dot gain and/or a crush screen may do the rest.  Does this seem excessive to those who have done this.  I would love to not have to overlap as much if I could maybe run the red halftones at a different angle or lpi (sounds weird but the only thing my feeble mind can think of at the moment).

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »
After a second glance I am thinking that pushing the red from 67 to 47 should be sufficient.  If anyone has any other suggestions I am all ears, thanks for the help thus far.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »
Should be good, remember that depending on dot size you may not hold the lower tones.
Discharge is very forgiving in this manner as the dots will literally blend in with the overprint and you
won't be able to see them.