Author Topic: Somebody talk to me about the Newman frames please.  (Read 5451 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Somebody talk to me about the Newman frames please.
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:07:35 AM »
We need to look into Newman frames and I am not sure what to get and why. Can somebody give me a quick rundown of what to look for?

thanx,

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Somebody talk to me about the Newman frames please.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:06 AM »
We need to look into Newman frames and I am not sure what to get and why. Can somebody give me a quick rundown of what to look for?

thanx,

pierre

As for the technical aspects you'll get that from one of the many fanboys here.

Otherwise, according to what I read a lot here, you should be looking for someone who for one reason or another, made a huge investment in them new, and is now selling them for way less than their original price! I've always been surprised at how many used rollers are out there.

You also want to look for screens from someone who practiced good screen hygiene, as the time involved salvaging badly neglected rollers can offset the initial savings.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:29:27 AM »
Pcall me or e-mail I have somethings you may be interested in.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »
You'll need to order the pins from Newman for your MHM. They are off center too, I've found, we adjusted our film template for that. We have one template for the statics, and another for the rollers. At least that's our experience...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »
Pcall me or e-mail I have somethings you may be interested in.

Tony, I am interested too! Just started to get some more in here, as there is an adapter for the S.Roque that lets us use static and rollers. Are you willing to share with the class? Or would you rather I email you?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 11:59:35 AM »
Actually I was referring to items. Frames with mesh, Stretching tools and tables, etc. I dislike selling stuff as it is a back and forth hassle and deal usually goes south after freight considerations. But we have too much stuff! Just melted down 500 statics the other day.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »
Pierre, you can stop by at my place and you can take a look at my frames. Mine are manual ones, but you will get the idea of what you need. You can also se my set-up for stretching them.

Let me know if interested.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »
  • M3 frames
  • rollermaster table
  • lock strips
  • MHM pins
  • decent torque wrench
  • tension meter
  • alignment clips and a piece of sign squeegee for fabric loading/corner softening
  • bolt mesh or panels of choice
  • semi-permanent protective tape for the rollers

Don't get used M3s unless they are pristine along the channels, it's a false economy thinking you can just "clean 'em up", it actually takes forever to clean poorly cared for roller frames and you often find a junk frame beneath all the crud that will cause premature screen failure.  The rest is fine to purchase used but make sure the meter is not out of calibration.

Also, don't skip the rollermaster, just get one.  They are out there for well under 1k used and not terribly expensive new. 

Panels may be very helpful on the first few you stretch and I won't drag up that argument but we use bolt mesh.

Ensure that everywhere, I mean every single place, that your screens rest in their production cycle is "mesh safe".  Other habits like laying squeegees and floods on the screen to load on press may have to be banned, depending on your mesh selection.

Watch a lot of these:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NewmanRollerFrame

George Mannao at Stretch has always been very helpful I'm not sure who the E. Coast person is.

You got my #. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
Newman actually named MHM their official press or some such thing. MHM plus Newmans = da best.
The pins threw me off at first but really I don't think there's a better way of locking in screens.

Can the E-types fit 25x36 frames?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »
<gulp> coming up for air . . .

thanx for all the feedback. My primary question was M3 or MZX and are there different versions of those? Is there a particular type we should look for?

I think I'll order just a couple to play with. Brian (binkspot) has some MHM pins he is saving for us.
Panels would be the way to get started, less headache with corners. As time goes by, we can learn to stretch our own; baby steps. . .
We have a pretty big torque wrench and a couple of Newton meters.
I also think that we will not need the protective tape for the MHM setup, is that correct? Screens are not being clamped in so there is no contact with the frame. Am I mistaken there?

If we get a couple of panels, do we need any of the strips or alignment clips?

And unfortunately, 25x36's will not fit on the E-Type. I have custom made 35" screens that fit, but there just isn't an inch left!

anything else?

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 07:05:36 PM »
Don't need strips or clips with panels, just place them in.  This is what you are paying for with panels- someone at shur loc or wherever glued the lock strips to the fabric for you, corners softened and all.

I would still use protective tape.  It's more for when the screens are off press, at least for us. 

That is absurd that it fits a 35" not a 36".  Good lord.  I was discussing with Alan H., who sells sRoque how they had to push that co. to make the presses coming to the U.S. market to fit our normal frame sizes.  How aggravating, I guess we really should've gone metric.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 07:20:22 PM »
Yes on the tape. Your press might not contact the frame edges but your racks, washout, everything else still will.

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
I have 23x31 MZX. They can't be stretched over 30N because they deflect too much on the long side. stretching over 30 will put allot of stress on the joints where the hex or octagon shape meets the tube. Later on the joints would just break.
since your frames are longer than 31. max tension must be reduced for the MZX.

you can learn to stretch bulk with a 62/cm to a 90/cm normal diameter. but a 120/cm is quite frustrating  because the alignment clip can leave micro fracture that can't be see if you don't look for it.
for a 14/cm mesh. I find it difficult to put the locking strip in due to the thick thread.

we use tape because we are not too careful with our frames.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
chung here brings up a good point- don't even bother with bolt mesh for super low counts and thick threads, it's hell on earth loading those mesh counts, always go panels for those.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »
Pierre,

What are looking for the Newman's to provide that the Shurloc frames are not giving you? I run both styles of frames on my MHM S machine.

Robert
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.