Author Topic: Small, quick & basic method tutorial.  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Small, quick & basic method tutorial.
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:51:50 PM »
Small, quick & basic method tutorial.
Just a little on how and why I do some things.

Photoshop color seps. More bang for your buck by DotToneDesigns
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: Small, quick & basic method tutorial.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:54:19 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to share the tutorial
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline virgil427

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
Thanks for the tut Dan, one question won't you lose the crisp edges on the text putting it down first then running two more screens over it

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
I love this sort of thing. It is great to see how and others do things. Will you post a pic of the printed shirt?
Thanks for the tut.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »
Thanks for the tut Dan, one question won't you lose the crisp edges on the text putting it down first then running two more screens over it

I've never experienced that myself, but possible to some degree I'm sure. I can see it loosing some edge crispness if it were a gob if heavy lay down like from a 156 mesh or something. This is also only having two colors run over it as apposed to 4-6. The more you run over it the more it affects it.

More so, for this job, it may lose some opacity...but not much. Enough to keep it a solid black...I'm expecting anyways.

I will post a final print. What I do expect is for this not not match my jpg or on screen colors where blended. Since its my art, I'm ok with color shifts and so is the customer.  I'm looking for a nice print rather than accuracy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 03:47:00 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline virgil427

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »
you always think of black going last and the text being towards the end if possible, you get trapped into doing things the same every time it's nice too have a different approach

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 10:28:36 PM »
Hey Dan thanks for the video... could you post the original image I think this could actually be done with 2 colors I ran it thru HSB style and got really close to the JPG from my screen capture I would need the original to see if that was really possible. The only issue I saw was a touch of red under the cymbals.. but artistically speaking the shadow under a cymbal would not have red anyway and the shading would just be more brightness or black.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:36:36 PM by AdvancedArtist »

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
"Artistically" speaking, I could make it titty pink under the cymbals and still be correct. Artistically speaking.

No, you can't make my art 2 colors and get the same colors as shown.

Black and red don't give you yellow.
Black and yellow don't give you red.

Your reaching. My goal is to get multiple color shades with as few colors that can be similar to the original art submitted as reference.  Not just to reduce colors. It needs to look similar to the original and you cant do that enough with just two. No matter the color combo chosen.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 04:13:07 PM by Dottonedan »

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »

I print black first sometimes to do what Dan is showing  and yes with low mesh counts you will lose some edge plus get a build up of black ink on the other screens, so High mesh count for the black will help this, but if you know what to expect just wipe your screens down if you use the low mesh counts like I have.

Nice tut Dan

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »

I think Tom may be saying that all you need is Black and some kind of Brown or Tan, maybe? In that case, yes, 2 colors would be all that you need for this art...

But I think the point here is to show that you can make a good variety of browns by using common colors that would be found throughout a typical design, Black, Yellow and Red, so that you wouldn't need to add a Brown sep if you're going for budget.

I like the black-first approach... a lot of designs I do have 2 blacks, a tone and a line, and I think putting some of the colors on top of the Black gives nice, subtle tones. I should do it more. Good food.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »
HSB evaluation reveals that the Hue/Color in this design is a reddish orange which can be seped very close to the original with the exception of the stronger red tint under the cymbals which could be removed if the client desired less colors. That red would really not be in the color of cymbals and the shading would still work in the black. Going with an orange to get a 2 color blend might work a bit better than a 3 color blend. You would also get stronger halftones to print with as the red and yellow for the blend would work with smaller dots.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »
Dude..... >.<
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »
But I think the point here is to show that you can make a good variety of browns by using common colors that would be found throughout a typical design, Black, Yellow and Red, so that you wouldn't need to add a Brown sep if you're going for budget

Yes, Thats my point and that it also still falls in the family of colors of the original art the customer wanted.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
I'm with Dan on this, I know the least about colors here, but I do what colors the customer ask for or try my best to give it to them...yes I will explain what will work best and  what it's  suppose to be, but when they say these are the colors I want "case close" there money, I just sep and print LOL.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 05:21:23 PM »
Just for the record I am not trying to criticize just talking about separation options and strategies.