Author Topic: screen print shops space requirements and septic systems  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
screen print shops space requirements and septic systems
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:03:31 PM »
Big changes coming with my shop.

I am in the process of buying a house and moving to a nice area (somewhere within an hour from where I currently am). The goal is to buy a house with a large outbuilding (large garage, carriage house, barn, etc) and move the shop. I figure I'm tucked away in a mill building and do not get or desire walk-in business, so it would be nice to be in my own building. The building would not be attached so it would be it's own shop.

My first two questions, what would you say would be the minimum space to comfortable have a shop with an automatic.

Second, I am looking into more country areas with large lots of land. Most of these are on a septic system. What do I need to know about septic systems, pros and cons?

Thanks in advance!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: screen print shops space requirements and septic systems
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:43:44 PM »
Leaching field, which lets the water part of the septic drain, some people in the country side will run a separate drain for there washing machine since that is just soap and water which will help not to fill the septic tank.  Other than that I know nothing....

Darryl
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:45:59 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:49:51 PM »
A single auto shop with a manual could be done in 1000 sq ft. Easily depending on how big a press you run. Make sure you can get the electrical there. Septic I have no clue.

Offline broadway

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »
In Mass. you can not put any screen printing chemicals down the drain, no matter what the label says. You can not use a filter system on the drain either before the septic. You will need to have an underground  holding tank (1000-3000 gal) it cost about $1500.00 for the plans. The plans, tank and installation can cost up to $7500 depending on the area. Any civil eigineer can make the plans.They might make you put an alarm on it so it will not overflow. The only thing that goes down the drain into the septic system is human waste and grey water (clothes washing machine...) It is also against the law in MA. to discharge the drain of your clothes washing machine to the outside, it has to go in the septic. It can cost up to .60 per gallon to have  the tank emptied. How many times depends on how busy you are. If you are working out of your home you will be dealing with the Federal, State and Town Goverments which means paper work, inspections and of course fees. Fees could be up to $1000. per year to show you are in compliance. Make sure you can have a home business in your town. Start doing shirts for a Septic Co.
   This is what i have for a work space next to my house, garage level 1200 sq feet (production), second floor 750 sq feet (office with A/C) also stand up attic for cold storage. I built a 3 BR house next to my 3 BR house with a very big garage door. I have 6/4 Hopkins, 6/8 Gauntlet and 12' electric dryer. Hundreds of screens on racks floor to ceiling. The ink, exposure and washout rooms  are small. Very little room for any inventory storage. For electrical i had to split my 200 amp service and bring 100 amps to the shop. Bigger is always better. In the summer months many boxes are stored outside during the day and you hope it does not rain. If you are in a residential area maybe look for properties that a 2 seperate deeded lots next to each other that way you( i think) can have sepaerate meters to the lots (200amps) each.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »
Auto--6/8?  8/10?  10/12?

We've got an 8/10 auto, and 6/4 and 4/4 manuals, a small darkroom, a small office, and it's approximately 1200 sq. ft. 
It's not enough room to make it too easy, but it works.  Plan on not leaving any messes lying around if you decide to try running the ship that tight.

One of the more interesting shops I've visited was out in the country, they had MASSIVE amounts of room. 

I think you're on the right track there--plus, getting into county and cutting out the city government is one less gadfly to deal with.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »
Awesome info Broadway! I'm assuming you are in Massachusetts? What city? Sounds like septics are a lot of fun. Is there a place I can get a copy of any/all laws for this?

Screenfoo, I sold my auto last week. I have two manuals. Once I move and am settled to where ever I end up, I will be getting rid of one of the manuals and purchasing another auto based upon what I can fit. Minimum 6/8, but I hoping for an 8/10.

Thanks guys!