Author Topic: How do I answer this guy?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
How do I answer this guy?
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:03:50 AM »
I have a new customer with a painting company. He has a nice, professionally created design, but only gave us a jpeg. I checked in with him yesterday via email to see if he had any luck getting a good file from the design firm that did the work, and mentioned that if perhaps he has had his truck lettered, then the sign shop that did the work would have files we could use. His reply was, honest to God, "What is a truck?" This is a real business man, he flips houses with a guy that started our shop way back in '90. Two days ago, a guy came to me for some shirts for his paintball team. We're in a 100 year old mill building, with 3 other considerably smaller buildings in close proximity. He's outside, and can see our sign, with others, on our building, but he can't figure out which building we're in...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: How do I answer this guy?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:41:56 AM »
Use Homers Answer..." you know the truck that keeps the ninja supplies"  haha!

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:36 AM »
My suggestion would be to give him NO slack or favors. If he doesn't have the right artwork, and does not get it to you by "x" day, he will not have the shirts. Then DO NOT make an exception. I have dealt with people like this, and what I found is that they are not entirely stupid(highly, but not entirely) they are big multi taskers, or adults driven by ADD(raises hand). They don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but with 100 other things going on for them at one time, what they consider small details get left behind.  By actually helping them or doing them a favor "this once" you just set your self up for those favors on every order. May just be a simple re-draw now, but next time it could be "oh, I thought it was 2 colors, can you just run the 5 colors for the same price? I already committed these as a donation". Or some variation there of. Give them a inch, they will expect 2-3 inches next time as standard.

Just my .02
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
I go with the exact opposite approach, as most customers have no idea what a vector file is, and you're just as likely to get a .pdf .ai .eps .cdr file with the .jpg in it anyways. So if it's simple enough, we just re-draw it. If it is going to take a while we tell them it'll cost a bit of money, but we keep it reasonable, then give them a copy of the vector file for them to keep.

As a printer/shirt supplier, we're here to service the customers needs, that includes making the artwork they get work. This guy sounds like a busy guy and the last thing he wants to do is dick around calling people trying to explain what you need, even though he doesn't have a clue why you need it, what it is, and what the difference is. He's may even be wondering if you know what you're doing because the local newspaper had no problems with that low res. .jpg for his business card sized ad, and "it looked just fine".

Yes at some point you need to draw the line in the sand, but from my perspective you're always better to come off accommodating rather than stubborn. "We need the original file for our process, but we can probably re-create it from what you gave, it'll take about 1/2 an hour so we'll charge you $30.00. it's a one time charge and we'll e-mail you a copy in case you need it again in the future.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »
Yeah, I don't think you should expect much... He's your customer, he came to you for help... it doesn't hurt to ask for files, but ask once then just rebuild the artwork and charge accordingly.

After all, you're not working for free... asking clients for art files is not to save you time, but to save them money. It's not their job to know what a jpeg is... even though it benefits them to learn this stuff... in the end, it's your job to get their order fulfilled.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:47:03 PM »
I got the good file, that's not the point. He asked me, "What is a truck?" And he's a very nice guy by the way, not asking for any favors. I'm just having trouble with some of the really stupid things I hear lately, I just don't know how to answer an adult asking questions like "What is a truck?" This is grown man in the trades, I'm sure he's driven a truck, pickup or van before. Like my other example, very nice guy, but when he see's our sign on a building, he doesn't assume we're in that building. I must be losing patience/getting old. I would never insult them, but it's hard to remind myself to not make a face when I hear something like that.

Steve

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 03:24:47 PM »
Steve have you seen Idiocracy?

It ain't you man.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »
Yes, I hated it because it was so stupid. My wife loved it. I just gotta lighten up I guess... I'm glad that they're nice folks, it would suck if they were arrogant.

Steve

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »
It's real simple for us, get your art or we can make you new art or recreate your art, which we will bill for either way. 

I would say most customers that "dont have their art" suddenly "find" it when you start talking about money to recreate it.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »
It's real simple for us, get your art or we can make you new art or recreate your art, which we will bill for either way. 

I would say most customers that "dont have their art" suddenly "find" it when you start talking about money to recreate it.

Could not be farther from the truth. I dont know how many times they have said it does not exist. When the talk of money starts it gets found pretty quickly.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 03:44:28 PM »
In fairness, the designer was putting him off, but did finally send an .eps. We know to guide our customers through our part of the jungle, it's just the right thing to do, helping people out. Which is why I gave him the proper extensions to ask for. I don't for a minute think he is supposed to know that kind of stuff, just as I don't know anything more about painting a house than putting paint on it (OK, I know slightly more than that, but I'm not going to call myself a painter)

Steve

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 03:54:38 PM »

It ain't you man.

I know I am in good company when this movie has been brought up twice in a little over a week

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 04:28:11 PM »
And every so often a client just gets "pissed off" and looks elsewhere....I have got enough orders from folks who came to me because someone else wanted to charge them for art....I make a fair price on what I sell but I try not to "annoy" folks by showing art as a "line item".....I just build enough in to every order to cover the rare order where I have to pay to have art re-created....

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 05:15:16 PM »
It might be interesting to see where some of us compare in pricing when we are talking art and print, since my print prices include zero art, I wont even type a font for you.  You either have art, or you pay for art. 

I might be higher than all you cats when you start considering that ;)
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »

It ain't you man.

I know I am in good company when this movie has been brought up twice in a little over a week

I'm going to buy it and watch it this weekend. I love that movie. There is so much stuff in it you miss the first 20 times or so.. :o :o :o