Author Topic: mock up issues?  (Read 3739 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
mock up issues?
« on: February 25, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
Before we print any job we send digital mock ups to our clients to make sure everything is correct.

A client just picked up job which was a Peach discharge print on a brown Tultex 0202 tee. Client just emailed saying that in the mock up it was a white imprint, yet on all 5 of our monitors here at the shop the same mock up is the correct peach that we sent over to him.

How do you all handle your mock ups? do you put all the ink specs on it as well?

Also what would you do in this case? this is a good client, he's not mad, but we are just very confused with what is happening as we think we did it all right on our end
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: mock up issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:13:03 PM »
We've seen this when there's additional layers on the artwork, and also with just some funky files. Luckily
it's always been caught before press time, thank jeebus.

We do include print colors on the mockup as swatches at the bottom. There's two awesome Illustrator
plugins that 1) Delete Fluff (actual name) that deletes all unused swatches and fluff, and 2) Render Swatch Legend
(or something close). It makes a set of swatches at the bottom of the mockup.

You have to mess with the scripting to get it to do what you want, but it's very cool once you do.

One click, done.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »
On my mockup i always put a  " NOTE: colors are not exact"  and i also note that in an email to say that every computer monitor is different...AND i always write the apparel color and ink colors on the mockup also..I think if you would have written "Brown Tultex tee then under it Peach Disharge:"

I think that would take care of it..

even sending a pantone color may not work because will a customer really look it up ? unless they supplied one..

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 04:15:44 PM »
on our proofs, we have a place to list the print colors and the position, along with the clause about monitor calibration yada yada....To resolve this -if he's NOT mad, I would discount him on his next order. no need to replace and move on. If's he's upset, I'd look at the other options as a reprint no charge, he pays for goods kinda thing. .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 04:24:58 PM »
We always include a color swatch on the mockup with the pantone color and generic color name if it has one.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 05:18:38 PM »
We list the print colors, and also a representation of it as well. 

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »
I'm placing a bet.  I bet the image sent to the client was "not" a .jpg. 

I'm thinking (like Ebscreen mentioned) the file is in a graphic (PS, Illy, etc.) and a layer isn't showing at the custy.  If I win my bet, send a screen shot as a .jpg.  If I lose my bet......well, I'll just avoid Vegas a little longer, lol.

Eric?  Win or lose?

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33:06 PM »
I don't have any of the art here in front of me, but we never send mock ups as a graphic file. It's always a .jpg, as the majority of our customers don't know what illustrator is let alone have it.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »
Or they are viewing it on their phone.  I sent a jpg to a customer nad it came through in B&W.  Could be your problem.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 11:12:24 PM »
We list all colors to be printed with a little block of the colors and also tell them about the monitor thing as well as viewing art on a cell phone which is a no no!!  jpg all the way.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »
Brandts is a great example of what to do. Its a perfect example of what you should be sending your customer.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 12:56:37 PM »
Agreed Brandt thats pretty slick. No one does it exactly the same but we never print anything without sending these out for approval with the usual disclaimers

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 01:00:47 PM »
Thank's for the compliments.  It's not perfect, but it's been working great so far.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
I also wanted to say that's pretty stellar Brandt. Art looking good on the left - totally clear and simple explanation on the right. Looks great.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »
We list the print colors, and also a representation of it as well. 

Hey Brandt, where do you get your line elements that you use so much? Are they hand drawn or clipart? I have been wanting to do some design work for myself with those line styles.