Author Topic: Distance pallet flash cure unit?  (Read 3712 times)

Offline BorisB

Distance pallet flash cure unit?
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »
How high from pallet are your flashes?
My special interest is for Calmat QC 20.

Boris

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Distance pallet flash cure unit?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »
I have the e-type Calmat e-cure. My elements are just over 2 inches from the shirt when the table it up. The QC 20 is the S-type flash right?

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »
I'd estimate to be about 1.5"-2" or so. These bulbs run hott so you can raise them fairly high for even coverage
without sacrificing flash times.

I will not profess to be an expert on this subject though, on our new MSI's I was at a complete loss for a starting point.
Hopefully someone that really knows can chime in.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:23:16 PM »
Our 20x24 red chili runs about 2.25 inches (5.72cm for you Boris) over the platen, if I'm recalling this correctly.  A bit higher for fleece.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Our Red Chili is between 1.5-2 inches above at 100% power.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 06:57:04 PM »
Our Red Chili is between 1.5-2 inches above at 100% power.

Sorry, threadjacking here.  What do you run at for blends?  That height at 100% intensity for some stuff we run will literally incinerate the garment. 

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 06:59:08 PM »
We did some tri blends recently and had to bring the power down to 60%, we still kept the distance  at 1.5-2 inches.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
Cool.  I've been doing similar.  Lower intensity/longer time for the delicate stuff, up to 6-10 sec in fact.  Too long for an auto, but that's still plenty fast on a manual. 

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:24:31 PM »
Yep, blends are one area where having intensity control is almost necessary. Rayon............

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
Yep, blends are one area where having intensity control is almost necessary. Rayon............

Indeed.  I saw this coming and made sure ours had the control.  It's mind blowing what a quartz flash will do to some blends at too much intensity, it's like an alien ray gun.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 11:43:26 PM »
My Red Chili doesn't have an intensity control.

I have done jobs with manually flashing with the table in the down position...

Or said well this job is going on the manual now.

Also did 20k prints with the sensor not working so I wired it to a light switch :)

Anyway The Red Chili is at about 2.5" away with the table up, manual I'm pretty sure says 2-3"

The Acoma for the manual is at just under 1.5", manual says 1-1.5" (pretty sure)

Offline BorisB

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 02:06:12 AM »
I have the e-type Calmat e-cure. My elements are just over 2 inches from the shirt when the table it up. The QC 20 is the S-type flash right?
yes QC 20 came with second hand S-type. Crazy thing is that on this particular flashes bulbs run vertically.  and no switching on/off for three zones. They always run all bulbs. Expensive hobby! . 

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »
shoot, that is what is nice about the RPM flashes, I can set intensity, amount of time, standby time and intensity.  It's mind blowing all the ways of configuring this thing.

Ours are about 2" away.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 12:29:57 PM »
yes QC 20 came with second hand S-type. Crazy thing is that on this particular flashes bulbs run vertically.  and no switching on/off for three zones. They always run all bulbs. Expensive hobby! .

No zone control? My QC20 has three buttons on the right side to turn zones on and off. It is a little counter-intuitive how it works, but it's
there. Chances are they are separated into zones already, three SSR's at 20 amps is a heck of a lot cheaper than one at 60.

Offline BorisB

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »

No zone control? My QC20 has three buttons on the right side to turn zones on and off. It is a little counter-intuitive how it works, but it's
there. Chances are they are separated into zones already, three SSR's at 20 amps is a heck of a lot cheaper than one at 60.
we have bigger QC20 gold flashes, with  horizontal lamps (according to T-shirt) those have three zones so you can choose small, middle and large  print/flash area.
It wasn't really correct that smaller ones haven't three zones. But they are pretty uselless. You can turn on left side, right side or middle of print area. And all combinations. Our prints are mostly in left, right and middle of print area. Pocket size prints being only exepction.
Haven't seen vertical positioning of bulbs in any other flash in my short (20 years) screenprinting life.
We will try to go as low as we can to get shorter flash time to save some energy.