Author Topic: Separating Photographs for Duotone Printing  (Read 1485 times)

Offline cvreeland

Separating Photographs for Duotone Printing
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »
Well, it's actually a Quadtone, + a highlight white. I just finished up a blog post with a video detailing the steps I took to separate a scan of a black & white negative to print as a halftone job. I use the duotone settings in Photoshop to add a grey to control dot gain, & an orange & tan to give the photo an antique sepiatone tint.

http://art-wear.org/blog/?p=614

(iMovie is a PITA!)
Owner, writer Art Wear - a screen printing blog

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Separating Photographs for Duotone Printing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »
I like the vid and you have a great blog.  The vid is packed with great content.

As a side note, firts let me say, I don't have any room to critique since I don't update my blog much at all nor do I produce videos at all, let alone good ones. So I apologies if I sound like I know it all. I don't.  ...but that never stopped anyone before.  :D

The impact or draw of the vid, seems lacking in todays world only because of the high action, animation and sound we are now accustom to today. At every vid I see, I'm waiting to here it. Maybe it's just me but I understand much more and will be captivated by sound.

Other than that, what a great vid for content.

Thanks
Dan

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline cvreeland

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
If today's kids need flashing lights,  fast-edits & techno music in order to learn something, let 'em be ignorant. Mostly, I hate doing voice-over stuff, it adds an extra pain/layer to just finishing the dang thing (It took a month in my "spare" time, as it is) & I just wanted to get it done. iMove is a real pain, & I can't afford Final Cut Pro, so it is what it is.

I don't care about a bunch of ~~**!!WOW!!**~~ L@@K!! crap, trying to draw eyeballs in, since I'm not trying to make money off the blog -- just feel like setting some of this stuff in my head down in writing before I up and die of a heart attack.  :)
Owner, writer Art Wear - a screen printing blog

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Understood. I feel ya on the time and pain.

I can't seem to set myself down and do one. In addition, like I just did. Every time I do one, someone comes and critiques how it was done rather than looking at the value of the content for someone. I see your value in it and probably most will sit and read it. For me, I didn't read a thing and just watched your actions so I ma have missed something important.

For sound, It seems important to a few of them that I am directing it to. The potential target audience. So I listen and take it in and figure, yeah, some time in the next 5 years, I'll get back to fixing mine for ya.  LOL.  We can't please everyone, but yea, sound is an important part of a tutorial. It helps them get inside your head as to what your doing or why.

I'm not a tutorial reader. ;)  So maybe I'm not your target audience. I understand that many need to read it, see it and hear it to fully grasp everything.  Just mentioning it.  Whadda I know?  Not much. I'm not an expert on tutorial building.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850