Author Topic: Who here is using the glisten method to coat screens?  (Read 5618 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Who here is using the glisten method to coat screens?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 01:21:13 PM »
Here here. For plastisol anyways. It sucks being a hybrid shop. I can't predict what a screen
will be used for.

What's different regarding coating technique for you wb/discharge screens?
Thick stencils are not required for discharge.......printing a thick deposit wastes ink and takes more time to cure. Its more about the chemistry tahn the application.
tp

You don't need the EOM, gasket, whatever you want to call it. Can even be detrimental.
You're not shearing off a pre-load, you're saturating fabric.

Good point. Very good to know. Never took time or needed to take the time to think about that but makes sense.

Offline DouglasGrigar

• Can you test, repeat, and measure it? fact or not?
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
Here here. For plastisol anyways. It sucks being a hybrid shop. I can't predict what a screen
will be used for.

What's different regarding coating technique for you wb/discharge screens?
Thick stencils are not required for discharge.......printing a thick deposit wastes ink and takes more time to cure. Its more about the chemistry tahn the application.
tp

You don't need the EOM, gasket, whatever you want to call it. Can even be detrimental.
You're not shearing off a pre-load, you're saturating fabric.

Good point. Very good to know. Never took time or needed to take the time to think about that but makes sense.

Discharge is a different animal - if you are attempting to put down “the kiss of ink” with plastisol, you will be frustrated with discharge because the product demands a particular level of penetration into the fabric to work!

600 plus variables - start finding the main ones for your application!
When there are no standards, you must make them!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 01:52:10 PM »
I find myself saying that whenever something is acting strange, "remove the variables".

How's this though. I'm trying a new emulsion from CCI, and so far I love it, except
for one thing. After coating and drying, the surface feels rough. Like a fine grit sandpaper.
Anyone ever dealt with that?

But to add a variable and make things more complicated, the day I started using the new
emulsion, I got a new screen cleaning guy in. Haven't been able to sit and watch or instruct
other than the basics, but it doesn't seem like he's doing anything that would cause this.

Really hope it's not the emulsion thought it probably is. This stuff is great, except for that.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 12:07:45 AM »
I find myself saying that whenever something is acting strange, "remove the variables".

How's this though. I'm trying a new emulsion from CCI, and so far I love it, except
for one thing. After coating and drying, the surface feels rough. Like a fine grit sandpaper.
Anyone ever dealt with that?

But to add a variable and make things more complicated, the day I started using the new
emulsion, I got a new screen cleaning guy in. Haven't been able to sit and watch or instruct
other than the basics, but it doesn't seem like he's doing anything that would cause this.

Really hope it's not the emulsion thought it probably is. This stuff is great, except for that.

What one did you try? How did you like it?
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 01:09:04 PM »
CCI ProChem TexCoat. Love it, just got 5 more gallons in. Better water resistance and
resolution than my old fave. Just got some plastisol in from them as well, I might be down
to 2 suppliers if it works out.

Issue mentioned above is from not noticing how damn hot it was getting in my
cabinet. Drying screens too hot causes some weird stuff, like the texture I noticed
as well as sandwiching of wet layers in between dry. This is my first summer in this
building and my drying cabinet is on a side that gets a lot of sun. Doh!