Author Topic: Who here is using the glisten method to coat screens?  (Read 5615 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Who here is using the glisten method to coat screens?
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:51:40 AM »
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=2

We use it here. This does not mean we check the screen every time, but I went through the process and noted how many coats it takes to achieve the results and we stick with it.

Anybody else used this to determine the coating procedure?
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Who here is using the glisten method to coat screens?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »
affirmative.

I actually had to go out and buy a coater with a round edge some years back to cut down on the number of coats to achieve this.
(My old Advance coater will soon be a collector's item that I hope to sell to the lucky winner of the vintage wooden screen auction on ebay.)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »
(My old Advance coater will soon be a collector's item that I hope to sell to the lucky winner of the vintage wooden screen auction on ebay.)

:)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:00:50 AM »
We use the glisten method here.  I think those who don't use it are missing out and most likely are not printing with a sufficient eom.  Whenever we get a new emulsion I'll go in the dark room and we determine how many coats on each side with the glisten method, then I'll measure the stencils with the thickness gauge to make sure the eom's are good.  I've found that if you use the glisten method, your eom's will be really close to where they should be and you don't really need a thickness gauge unless you want to go beyond the 15-25% eom ratio.  We do sometimes add coating strokes for those stencils we want to be thicker, especially if we have a job that we can do a "one hit" print on.

I have a chart on the wall above the coating area that has all the desired coating strokes for each mesh count we use so our screens are very consistent in thickness.

The glisten method has been around for a long time, I'm surprised that it's not the standard coating technique and many people don't use it.  None of the local shops that we burn screens for use that technique and I am amazed at some of the stencils that others try to print with around here.  And damn guys, how about putting some sandpaper to the scoop coater and getting rid of all the vertical lines in the stencil.  There will be areas of the screens with zero eom, then a few mm's away it's 20% eom, it's amazing.  I'll start taking pics of some of the screens that come in here.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:08:56 AM »
One more here.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:21:38 AM »
I am a recent convert.  I wouldn't go back to any other way.  I test our EOM and it's spot on.

Hands down the best coater I've used it the AWT...
http://www.techsupportsps.com/store/supplies/scoop-coaters/awt-pro-angle-2-scoop-coater.html

You have to sand the corners on the rounded side, they are squared off for some dumb reason.  Busted a screen that way.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »
My method of choice since 1998.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 12:25:31 PM »
Here here. For plastisol anyways. It sucks being a hybrid shop. I can't predict what a screen
will be used for.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:49:55 PM »
Here here. For plastisol anyways. It sucks being a hybrid shop. I can't predict what a screen
will be used for.

What's different regarding coating technique for you wb/discharge screens?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 12:53:51 PM »
For about 30 years or so. I still use the thin edge of the coater though, better control for me. It just seemed to me way back then that thicker emulsion on the print side made a better stencil, less effect from the fabric. We didn't have a name for it though, EOM is it.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »
will be used for.

You don't need the EOM, gasket, whatever you want to call it. Can even be detrimental.
You're not shearing off a pre-load, you're saturating fabric.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 01:07:23 PM »
will be used for.

You don't need the EOM, gasket, whatever you want to call it. Can even be detrimental.
You're not shearing off a pre-load, you're saturating fabric.

Good point. Very good to know. Never took time or needed to take the time to think about that but makes sense.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »
@ Alan802
then I'll measure the stencils with the thickness gauge to make sure the eom's are good.

YEE HAW!  I's good to hear people actually measuring. I know gadgets are expensive but control is priceless.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »
I measure them too  ;D

I've noticed better stencils, but it has taken a while to dial the exposure in, it was triple the time of my previous stencils.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 01:15:44 PM »
There was a Saati thickness gauge on Ebay the other day for about $100. I almost bought
it but we're about 80% waterbased these days, and almost %100 on darks, where EOM really matters.