Author Topic: Anybody know someone that buys misprints?  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Clark

Anybody know someone that buys misprints?
« on: June 15, 2011, 08:06:47 AM »
I have 1500 white shirts I wanting to salvage a few bucks on.  Shirts are in Houston.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
Re: Anybody know someone that buys misprints?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:21:38 AM »
Not sure of anyone buying misprints at this time. I do know there is a guy on t-shirtforums.com looking to buy misprints I believe for 0.35 a shirt yet only wants them printed on one side.  A google search should pull up that thread.

Another option is to donate them to a local womens shelter or any type of shelter in your area. Usually you can get a receipt and use it as a tax write off.  Just figure out a price for the shirts and have the shelter give you a receipt. Save that and give to your accountant for tax purposes

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW Master® 

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:44:23 AM »
We keep ours for test print use.  Of course 1500 is a lot of shirts and I'd rather do what you're doing and try to get something out of them.  I don't like to test print on pellons, unless it's on a light or white shirt we don't use them at all and stick to real garments.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »

Another option is to donate them to a local womens shelter or any type of shelter in your area. Usually you can get a receipt and use it as a tax write off.  Just figure out a price for the shirts and have the shelter give you a receipt. Save that and give to your accountant for tax purposes

Careful on those tax donations that you don't inadvertently double dip if you have also included the cost of the shirts in your expenses.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:41:24 AM »
Here's an email I received:

Howdy,
My name is Leah and I am a crafter here in MPLS. I make hand woven rugs and market bags out of sturdy cotton t-shirts.  I am wondering if you ever have t-shirts returned to you from an order that for whatever reason didn't work out for the customer? Or a test shirt gone awry? If you ever do, I would be happy to take them off your hands and put the t-shirts to work in another medium, especially ones without side seams. This is pretty random, but just thought I would ask. You have a great website, by the way. Nicely done.

Enjoy your (almost) weekend.
Leah Pierce of The Someday House
952-913-8261
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Clark

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »
We keep ours for test print use.  Of course 1500 is a lot of shirts and I'd rather do what you're doing and try to get something out of them.  I don't like to test print on pellons, unless it's on a light or white shirt we don't use them at all and stick to real garments.

I'm keeping 2 cases for test prints..I hate pellons too. 

Thanks Fluid...these are printed on only one side, so that might work..thanks.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
Anybody know someone that buys misprints?

;D Sure, the clients of  insert your favorite printer's (with a sense of humor) name here  ;D

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
EBAY!!! bag of rags or test shirts $10.00 for 30
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 04:54:03 PM »
or sell them as printed with a vintage wooden frame and ask $30 each!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
or sell them as printed with a vintage wooden frame and ask $30 each!

DAMN! so they depreciate the value so much? The vintage screen was $289 without a shirt. It looks like you can't get rid of those no matter what you do!  ;D

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 11:32:49 AM »
I have some with ink washing out and cracking (Actually, quite a bit of them). Can I sell them as a "distress-old look-new look-kind off cool-vintage" shirts for $30 a piece?

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 12:54:59 PM »
Its too bad that it would cost more to ship them her to me,  then it would cost to buy them. Because if its one thing I have taken notice of is the immense amount of shirts I see with spelling mistakes..or even worse, grammar that makes absolutely NO SENSE!!  :o

The Chinese LOVE anything that has English or for that matter American brands, logos, or even anything close to resembling them. I have given serious consideration to doing a "test" where I PURPOSELY have a local shop make a shirt with a generic logo resembling something you might see in any US mall and make sure it has at lease two words MISSPELLED just to see if I would be able to sell them all.

Now before you all go laughing to death on this one, I am serious. At least 2-3 times a weak when I am out, I see shirts with some obvious mistakes...sometimes even words that all tun together like a 50 letter word. Of course you have to understand that in China, that is how their language is..there are no spaces between "words".

On the flipside, I was in Zhuhai as I went to to play in Macau last week, and saw an entire store that was dedicated to KNOCK OFF Abercrombie and Hollister products...and the kicker was that they were every bit as good as the products you get in the US..but for a fraction of the price. (obviously)

If I get a market strategy, seriously...I might begin to IMPORT customers "screw ups" to sell here....after all, most of the people buying them either cannot read English, or they do not care if its spelled correctly.
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 01:34:31 PM »
EBAY!!! bag of rags or test shirts $10.00 for 30

Hey Id do that. I am running pretty damn low on test shirts.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »

If I get a market strategy, seriously...I might begin to IMPORT customers "screw ups" to sell here....after all, most of the people buying them either cannot read English, or they do not care if its spelled correctly.

That's a hell of a lot better than one of my last  die stamping (engraving) jobs I had before getting back into screen printing.
The back of this particular business card was printed in four different Asian languages, and with every little dot or line segment having significance and meaning something, they were a bitch to not only proofread, but to print and examine during the run and afterward as it was not uncommon for the dies to fill and clog in places, and leave small voids.
Noticeable when one knows what to look for, but, as I said, damn near impossible on this one!

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 02:49:58 PM »
Quote from: Frog

That's a hell of a lot better than one of my last  die stamping (engraving) jobs I had before getting back into screen printing.
The back of this particular business card was printed in four different Asian languages, and with every little dot or line segment having significance and meaning something, they were a bitch to not only proofread, but to print and examine during the run and afterward as it was not uncommon for the dies to fill and clog in places, and leave small voids.
Noticeable when one knows what to look for, but, as I said, damn near impossible on this one!

Oh Andy, I understand I understand..as I now live in a culture where even speaking the word incorrectly means any different things even if you can spell it correctly. For instance a simple 2 letter word "MA" has four meanings depending on HOW your "tone" is pronounced. Say it one way, it means Mother, say it another it means to Scold....oh, the problems it creates when you are tone deaf.. ???
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.