Author Topic: The Official TSB Photography Geek Thread  (Read 10114 times)

Offline squeegee

Re: The Official TSB Photography Geek Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 06:27:20 AM »
I have a few Cannon lenses for an old 35mm film body, some good ones, went out last year to finally get a digital body or something digital in an SLR.  The problem I found was the lenses I have, in order to be their true focal length, needed to be used with a full frame cmos sensor, in other words, the 5D Mark II minimum which is mega-bucks and no built in flash.  There nothing like having an expensive ultrawide lense that is not so wide because you can't afford the right body.

So a friend of mine turned me onto these newer Sony Alpha cameras, I got the A55.  It's super fast, like 10fps continuous, does HD video with continuous auto focus (amazing quality), and has about a billion features (most of which I do not understand), but one really cool feature is the 3D Panorama where the camera takes about 10 frames as you move your arm from left to right to capture a landscape or wide area, then assembles the frames automatically into one superwide photo, it's pretty bad ass.

The only lense I've been able to afford is a Sigma f/2.8 17-50mm which is a great lense.  I really want to get a good Macro lense for super close ups and an ultra wide, but haven't had time to do the research.

A review if you're interested in looking:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA55/AA55A.HTM

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 05:43:15 AM »
Scan from my "new" Nikon FG:

Picked it up for $6 off eBay.

Film is fun.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 06:22:06 AM »
The biggest gripe that I have with the digital camera offerings right now, is the lack of viewfinders on anything but (relatively) conventional DSLR's.
Canon G series I think one Nikon model still retains them, and the "Pen" type compact SLR's have hot shoe add-ons. Otherwise, it's the straight-arm style of shooting that I hate for most other choices!

My main gripe with the small electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens cameras, or EVIL for short, is that they aren't pocketable. Sure, some may be pocketable so long as you are using a short prime, but forget anything with a zoom. My secondary gripe is that most of them aside from the sony nex use tiny sensors. I forgot who it was, but there was some new model announced that sounded really nice and portable, then I read the crop factor. It was something like 4x or more, I forget.

I must say that lack of an optical ttl viewfinder is a bummer as well. I like to be able to take photos in the 1/30 and below range handheld. Having the camera at arms length makes that difficult, even with stabilization on.

As for Nikon cameras being easier because of layout, I would say that it is a function of the nature of DSLR rather than nikons particular methods. I have a canon t1i, so faras I can gather it is a terrible layout as far as DSLRs are concerned, at least compared to the pro bodies. Yet I can adjust every part of my exposure without taking my eye from the viewfinder. I have no doubt that I will find the 1d that I plan to get next much easier to use. But it is to the point that I nearly get confused when handed a point and shoot due the lack of physical control.

Actually, if I am being honest, the consumer nikon DSLRs are currently pretty bad in terms of controls in my experience. A friend has a d5000 and he asked me to take some pictures with it. Every time I wanted to change something I had to ask how and it mostly seemed to involve looking at the lcd and navigating menus. Maybe it was the way that he had it set up, but it was really awkward. The last time I used the menu on my camera was about a month ago when I changed the back button focus setting off and then back on again for the time that my sister wanted to take pictures and wanted them to be in focus, lol.

Ultimately, I am jealous of the inexpensive 35mm f/1.8 that nikon makes. I have the nifty fifty, but it would be nice to have a little less length for only a little more money.

To end on a bombshell, I grew up using film cameras, point and shoots, but that was all that was available to me. Even so, if it weren't for digital, I would never have bothered getting into photography.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:53 AM »
Not much of a camera geek, but I've got an older Nikon film SLR and an older Sony digital. Went to the UK in 2003, and in the mad dash to make the flight, took only the Nikon and a cheap rangefinder of my wife's. First stop, Stonehenge. Get my camera out. The new battery I'd bought for the Nikon was in Florida. Get her rangefinder out. Batteries have leaked. Expletives and oaths are uttered. Kind of overcast, but I say eff it. Set the Nikon on 1/60, and the f-stop on 2.8 or thereabouts and shoot film. Get home over a week later and open the envelope from the film developer. Photos came out great if not perfect. Something to be said about film cameras and their ability to shoot without the benefit of the exposure meter. My first camera was a cheap Sears that took 127 roll film, and the "aperture" lever had three positions: a sun, a sun behind a cloud, and a cloud. I think the aperture was nothing but a rotating disk with three holes in it.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 01:44:23 PM »
Actually, if I am being honest, the consumer nikon DSLRs are currently pretty bad in terms of controls in my experience. A friend has a d5000 and he asked me to take some pictures with it. Every time I wanted to change something I had to ask how and it mostly seemed to involve looking at the lcd and navigating menus. Maybe it was the way that he had it set up, but it was really awkward. The last time I used the menu on my camera was about a month ago when I changed the back button focus setting off and then back on again for the time that my sister wanted to take pictures and wanted them to be in focus, lol.

The 5000, 5100, 3000, 3100, etc are Nikon's entry level models. They rely heavily on the LCD "Info" menu system. This is intended to guide beginners through the camera settings. Once you get to the mid-level offerings (D70, D80, D90, D7000, etc) there are better dedicated controls for everything.

Before I went with the D7000, I picked up the Canon 60D and the 7D, and even the 5D Mk II. (I was considering making the jump for better video control...)

The Nikons are much more to my liking. All of the buttons and dials just seem in the "right" spot. This is completely a matter of personal preference though.

As far as compacts, at least right now, Fuji has the market cornered with the X100. APS-C sized sensor in a small rangefinder size.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 08:22:21 AM »
all nikon here:

D7000
D40

70-200mm 2.8 VRII
TC-20E III AF-S 2x Teleconverter
35mm  1.8
18-55mm kit lens that came with D40
55-200mm afs g

SB700 flash

Offline shurloc

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 06:51:48 PM »
Hi guys, Ron from shur-loc here... there are some serious glass fans on here...

I'm a Sony/Minolta guy myself...

Sony a100 - 10.2MP APS-C
Sony a700 - 12.4MP APS-C (x3)

Minolta 28 f/2.8
Minolta 50 f/1.4
Sony 18-70 f/3.5-5.6
Tamron 28-105 f/2.8
Minolta 28-105 f/3.5-5.6
Tamron 90 f/2.8
Sony 55-200 f/3.5-5.6
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6

Overall, my wife and I have a great little semi-professional photography gig going on the side of our day jobs. I love shooting and frankly the editing it almost as fun as the taking now.  Here's a few fun ones from this summer's trip to the ball park...

Let's not forget those cellphone cameras we take everywhere too... I use an EVO4G on Sprint with a great camera... The coolest part on these, they were posted directly from my phone after editing them in PicSayPro on the device itself...

Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 12:56:25 PM »

I'm a Sony/Minolta guy myself...

Nice shots Ron.

Have you seen the specs for the a77 yet? What a beast.

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
Just what I thought was a good pic taken in a blink... They had saw a deer in my turnip patch.. Sick'em boys

hope this works

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »
Ooo... I wanna play!

Picked up a Canon 50D a while back, fairly cheap.

Started with a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
Then added the Canon 50mm 1.4 prime (sweet lens)
And then the Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (it's fun around the house)

I also added the 580 EX flash... bounce flash instantly takes your photos to another level.

Here is a pic I took the first weekend with the 55-250:

Here is a crop of it at FULL rez... that IS is amazing!

If I remember correctly those shots are right out the camera... I did later add a little bit of sharpening and it got even better... this is still my buddies desktop wallpaper on his computer. LOL

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 06:00:46 PM »
Since then I've been hanging out with Eric Curtis http://www.ericcurtisphoto.com/  This man is an AMAZING photographer.

They (my bro-in-law, him and a couple of others) are shooting a few coffee table books (Mime Very Own Book and Fallen Super Heroes).

Here is a test shot from Fallen Super Heroes:

Those might be my C-Stands that the strobes are on... does that count for anything? ;)
Obviously final shots didn't have the strobes in the shot or the lens flare.

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:39 AM »
I enjoy photography too i own a cannon EOS ELAN II E is film camera
one thing i notice when taken a picture in broad daylight the film camera does a better job with contrast
digital cameras seems blow the small details away in the same lighting conditions
By the way how do you posts your pics here
Thanks

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
You can add them as attachments but there are size (dimensional and mb wise)... go to advance posting or click reply and look under the box.

BTW, for the record, just reread my first post... when I say "It is amazing" I am strictly talking about the camera. :)

For those that say it is the photographer... well, yes... if you want a shot like the one of the Fallen Super Hero... it is.  But that camera instantly makes you 300% better photographer.. well, if you aren't afraid to learn the manual settings. :)

Offline shurloc

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
Wow Kevin, that is one amazing shot!!!
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 11:54:41 PM »
The book should be out SOON... I've seen some layout "test" on his iPad and it's looking pretty good.

Just wish I was "unique" enough to be a Fallen Super Hero... guess I'm just good enough to be a homeless bum.
Have A Sexy Ponceman Christmas - Pop Up Edition