Author Topic: I have a computer problem well, a "me" problem.  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
I have a computer problem well, a "me" problem.
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »
While not listening to my inner voice, I listened to my inner child. Like when I stuck a fork into an outlet as a child.

My computer started running slow for some reason. So I started poking around. I thought I was in the right area. I typed control, option, delete and clicked on Task Mgr.

Under Applications, it's listed a few and what I thought was Internet Explorer was actuall my Windows Explorer. I hit END TASK.

Next thing I knew, everything was hidden on the desk top. So, my first call would be Pierre because he does not mind my stupidity but its late. So, I'm checking here.

Can anyone tell me where to gind the FIX button?

I have a job yo complete tonight and I'd like to get it done soon.

Ok, I'll allow a few pot shots at my stupidity as well.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: I have a computer problem well, a "me" problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:55:32 PM »
In task manager bottom corner is a spot for typing in a new task. Just type explorer.exe hit enter
"No man is an island"

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:01:10 PM »
This may be what Ink was saying, just a little different -

1. CTRL+ALT+DEL
2. Click Task Manager
3. Click File
4. New Task Run
5. Type "explorer.exe"  (not the quotes)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:07:18 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »
After re starting the comp, I went to open my photoshop file and a window popped up that said...

After reading your post, I did that. Everything comes up, but I can't get into Photoshop at all.

" could not open scratch disk file because the file is locked or you do not have the necessary access privileges. Use the " properties" command in the windows Explorer to unlock the file.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 11:25:39 PM »
Ah Ha!  ok.  Looks like I'm running again. THANKS!!!!  I know, simple stuff you you's guys.

Last thing I did was to assign myself to run it as the administrator. Had to tell Photoshop that. Somehow, it must have kicked it out of running it as admin. I donno.  But it's working now.

THANKS!!!!

THANKS!!!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 11:46:20 PM »
LOL... what you just learned Dan is actually a slick trick to getting yourself out of a jam.  Sometimes explorer really does hang and need to be restarted.  So you just end task and then restart it like suggested above.  Kind of a rough way to semi-reboot your computer.  Not really but for that particular process it kind of is... which as you learned is pretty much your entire desktop environment. ;)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:37:55 AM »
There are 2 of us in my house and we have 5 working computers.....Redundancy is a must....I can not afford be be down for even a short time....

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:49:52 AM »
Prepare for a little company Dan because though my wife's machine runs on 7 and I muddle through, I have not needed to fiddle much (it is her machine, after all) But, still being an XP guy, nor can I answer many of her questions. I seem to remember that we did have that administrator issue when she first got it.
So, I expect a bit of a learning curve again when I start playing with my new box next week.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:18 PM »
The "administrator" issues with 7 are ridiculous.

Protecting us from ourselves.