Author Topic: What Glue  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Logoman

• Life is what happens while your making other plans
What Glue
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:40:22 AM »
What glue works best for glueing mesh to frames? I know there are a lot out there but need some input

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: What Glue
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »
There are basically two types. A two part cyanoacrylate (Think of Locktite) which is fast, and single part lacquer base which is slow curing but more permanent. Be sure to ventilate!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
There are basically two types. A two part cyanoacrylate (Think of Locktite) which is fast, and single part lacquer base which is slow curing but more permanent. Be sure to ventilate!

>cyanoacrylate

that's superglue, right?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »

>cyanoacrylate

that's superglue, right?

pierre

back when we used statics we used a product called "Frame Fast" - http://www.framefast.com/

i think its the two part cyanoacrylate that Tony mentioned.

superglue is a type of cyanoacrylate, but the frame fast used an aerosol activator.  once you sprayed the activator over the glue, it would be cured.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
Thats right my friend

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »
You are correct.  However there are two thicknesses that are dependent on mesh count.  1 for all mesh counts up to 160.  1 For all others
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 01:58:43 PM »
I was going to answer "fresh glue".     (Can you tell I use CA?   ;D)

Frame Fast trade grade is in the 100-300CPS range, good stuff for meshes between 125 and 305 mesh--haven't had problems with it on those counts.
I try not to buy more than I'll use in a year or two, it definitely has a shelf life.

I've heard good things about the two part polyurethane (IIRC, Rhino-mite was the name I saw) but haven't tried it--anyone have experience with that type of glue?