Author Topic: New custom pc update!  (Read 1705 times)

Offline vicb

• Verified/Junior
New custom pc update!
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:16:58 PM »
Went with the AMD FX 8 core processor, 16gigs of ram, 256gig ssd for os and programs, 2g video card, dvd, card reader and a few others things
and spent just over $900 at newegg. Boots up and loads windows in less than 20 seconds! Only took a couple of hours to build and about an hour
loading os, drivers and software. Well worth the money.
Thanks for all the advice!!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: New custom pc update!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:26:03 PM »
Sounds good.  make sure you have external drives for backup, but I'm sure you already do.

Check this out from source forge -

http://sourceforge.net/projects/synchronicity/
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline vicb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »
Cool, I might check into it further. I have a second internal hd for data and I use Norton Ghost to also copy to an external hd. I was thinking of using carbonite
also as safety net.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:38:04 PM »
I use it at home and at my day job. 

The nice thing is it does a pretty quick preview pass and then lets you sync.  It only updates things that have changed.  Both adds and deletes.  Plus it's free and reliable.

Fireproof safe (or offsite like family) does the same thing and you always have control (and security) of your data.

I'm running the AMD X6 with 8 G Ram and 64 Bit Win 7.  Assuming you're on 7, check out Create System Image for a easy system that's really fast to lay back down for fresh system.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:47:59 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »
Vic, did you stick with Windows 7?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
don't use carbonite, go with backblaze, you can backup from external drives with backblaze.

Offline vicb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:04:38 PM »
Vic, did you stick with Windows 7?
Hey Frog, I stuck with Windows 7 but it keeps wanting to download an update that is screwing with my internet connection.
I just turned the updates off. I might check out windows 8 later.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 02:09:24 PM »
Oh great, something new for me to worry about!
Perhaps someone here can help with that issue.
As it is, I have very little experience with anything other than the basics of 7, so I am in learning mode.
My wife is looking forward to me being able to help with anything other than the rudimentary stuff I showed her when she got her laptop a couple of years back.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
I recently used Clonezilla to restore a disk image from a hard drive that failed. (not a SSD)

A little techy, but simple enough and worked like a charm.

Offline vicb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »
I'll post the updates that are causing the problems to see if anybody can shed some light. Not sure
which one is causing the problem but when I get a chance, I'll load one at a time. It's just a pain to go back and
restore to before the update.

Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2799329)

Download size: 7.9 MB

Update type: Important

Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2505438)

Download size: 1.5 MB

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - January 2013 (KB890830)

Download size: 17.5 MB

Update type: Important

After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2574819)

Update type: Optional

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2592687)

The Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0 update enables you to use the new Remote Desktop Services features. These features are introduced in Windows 8 and in Windows Server 2012 and are available for computers that are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2709981)

Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

Windows Internet Explorer 9 delivers web sites and applications that look and perform like native PC applications through the power of Windows.

Fast: Internet Explorer 9 is all-around fast.  Designed to take full advantage of your PC’s hardware through Windows, Internet Explorer 9 delivers graphically rich and immersive experiences that are as fast and responsive as native applications installed on your PC.

Clean: Internet Explorer puts the focus on the Web sites you love with a clean look and increased viewing area that makes your Web sites shine.  Intuitive and seamless integration with Windows 7 provides one-click access to Web applications pinned directly to your Taskbar.

Trusted: Internet Explorer is the trusted way to the Web because it has a robust set of built-in security, privacy and reliability technologies that keep you safer and your browsing experience uninterrupted.

Interoperable: Support for HTML5 and modern Web standards architected to take advantage of the GPU means that the same mark-up not only works across the Web, but runs faster and delivers a richer experience through Windows and  Internet Explorer 9.