Author Topic: What is a Gutter?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
What is a Gutter?
« on: December 07, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Having just a bit of fun here. I've been told that I coined the term but  who cares? This pertains to a few other threads however I think it may apply to most of us so I thought we could start it here.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Re: What is a Gutter?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »
Talking about plastisol seps and the "gutter" it sometimes creates?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 06:20:09 PM »
Are you asking a question? A gutter in printing is a thin gap in the underbase to help touching colors not mix. I have used them on a few jobs but they can be a pain to set up on complex designs. Funny question for a waterbase guy to ask.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
Originally formed in page layout term.

When applied to apparel printing, it could mean the valley where (lets say) a black line art falls into the shirt and multi levels of ink are surrounding and built up creating a gutter space.

Thats my thoughts.

Also, it could be the space located for Sams old friends he no longer hangs out with in (the gutter space).  LOL.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:30:33 PM »
Hahaha. I have many, many "gutter" friends as well

Offline starchild

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:55:58 PM »
A gutter helps create crisp sharp lines between butt registered colors as opposed to soft and blurred? But carving up an underbase is no fun..

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:53:26 PM »
That's how I use it, The ink tends to "fall off" the base edge and get a little absorbed by the bare fabric, and then has much less tendency to blur, even when touching other wet ink.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 02:30:41 AM »
Are you asking a question? A gutter in printing is a thin gap in the underbase to help touching colors not mix. I have used them on a few jobs but they can be a pain to set up on complex designs. Funny question for a waterbase guy to ask.

Thats it. Back in the evil days of plastisol and less than desired tension we would generate the underbase with gutters ie not exactly 100% solid UB. It was a compensation bandaid which actually worked quite well and reduced multiple flashing. When I e-mailed the art dept about DC UBs they asked about gutters and I honestly had to take a minute to remember what it meant. Not necessary now for us but might be helpful to some.

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 03:13:08 AM »
'What is a gutter?'

a) A necessary evil.
b) Something that creates a downflow, away from.
c) Where you wind up if you're not careful?
d) an area of compensation for a process based on previous knowledge of it's limits.

I use gutters all the time with my 'old-skool' plastisol daily routine.
I'll go with a, and d, regardless of the medium.

Cheers.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 10:25:58 AM »

GUTTER : definition
An undifined arear where the thoughts of a male mind often wonders aimlessly. Teenager and senior minds seem to find greater attraction  exhibiting of higher frequency of visitations and longer durations of occupancy. ???
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »

GUTTER : definition
An undifined arear where the thoughts of a male mind often wonders aimlessly. Teenager and senior minds seem to find greater attraction  exhibiting of higher frequency of visitations and longer durations of occupancy. ???
mooseman

Ha!  I'm glad you mentioned seniors'. That gives me something to look forward to.   ;D
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »

Thats it. Back in the evil days of plastisol and less than desired tension we would generate the underbase with gutters ie not exactly 100% solid UB. It was a compensation bandaid which actually worked quite well and reduced multiple flashing. When I e-mailed the art dept about DC UBs they asked about gutters and I honestly had to take a minute to remember what it meant. Not necessary now for us but might be helpful to some.

We lived without gutters until the digital age, too tedious to create, and we called them gutters too once we could make them; some kind of collective consciousness I guess. We made our own flash unit before they were commercially available, and apparently others were doing the same, because 6 months later, there they were in Screen Printing magazine. I think sometimes common sense is common, and not a rare as it appears to be.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 08:16:42 AM »
Interestingly enough Mike Beckman and I were unkowingly working on the first efforts of High Density concepts even though we were at opposite ends of the country. He for Nike and me for Hilfiger

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 08:42:52 AM »
Gutter; Term widely used on Craigslist usually refering to a 6 or 12 stringed musical instrument.  :o

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »
Gutter: something I need to put around my roof to keep the rain from ditching around the flower beds. He He

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!