Author Topic: Cheesy, bordering sleazy phone sales tactics???????  (Read 3814 times)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
Cheesy, bordering sleazy phone sales tactics???????
« on: December 06, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »
Have any of you guys had one of these dudes call your shop, middle of the day when things are busy and hectic, and tell who ever you have answering the phones, that , "We have your order ready, and we need to talk to the owner asap". ??? Like in my shop, my office person, or my wife would right away be like, who ordered something without authorization, and immediately take the call, to then have the guy say, "Yeah so I have some special pricing to offer you on clip art because I saw your site and your clip art collection is hurting". REALLY!!!!!!!???? Like this is going to make me want to do business or positively promote them, we've had it 3 times within the past 4 months. Anyone else have any wackadoodle calls like this??
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Cheesy, bordering sleazy phone sales tactics???????
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »
Arizona number? Phoenixish?

Yeah, we've heard from them. Effing hate those guys, totally shady.
Every now and then if I'm having a bad day I'll call them and pretend to be interested in
their artwork. String them along for awhile and then ask how the hell they like having their time wasted.
Dude is a total piece, and seems to be involved in our industry.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:55:18 PM »
They have many many tactics to try and get to a person in charge, one of the sleaziest is when they use the owners or my first name and act casual like its a friend calling. Nothing gets through here tho because all calls are asked for full information before anyone is forwarded a call.

Here is a short list of some of the more common tele calls.

The president
digitizing services
Ad placement at some local diner, love these they always try to imply they are doing work directly for said diner when its not actually true.
Google ranking
Update our Yellow page ad, (we don't have yellow page ad)
New mortgage
Update some never heard of sites profile (we get these several times a day)
You have been selected as some yadda yadda business award, need payment for the plaque
Roof repair
Gutter repair
Paving
Etc.............
"No man is an island"

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 01:58:30 PM »
Oh yea for a period we kept getting these calls from people in California saying they are seeing a charge on their CC account from us yet they dont know who we are or what was bought, at first we were actually concerned and asked for all info (always real light on details) Then it ends up they want our CC number so we can credit back what ever was purchased lol, oh yea sure lets give you our CC number. Funny thing is they tried this many times over for several months.
"No man is an island"

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »
Eb, now that is funny!!! hahahahahahahahahahah

Ink, I know what you mean. The guy that called yesterday told our office manager that the graphics for Mike's truck are ready but we need to speak to him asap about it. Well, I don't have my truck anymore, gave it to my mother inlaw, so I knew it must have been those Chodes again. My wife got on the phone with him put him on  hold and went back to printing. I can't believe anyone would ever buy anything from them with that type of tactic.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 03:44:34 PM »
So happy we don't answer phones, so we never deal with this mess.

But consider this, if their tactic didn't work, they wouldn't be doing it.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 03:48:18 PM »
So happy we don't answer phones, so we never deal with this mess.

But consider this, if their tactic didn't work, they wouldn't be doing it.

Yes which makes me want to slap the fools that fall for it just as bad as the spammers.
"No man is an island"

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
What really chaps my hide are the scams that target trusting senior citizens.

Them folks need to be drug out and shot.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »
Cold callers... if I am in a karma building mode I try to listen for 15 seconds and then tell them I am not interested.. good by.

If I feel like prick I say " I really want to talk with you about this product, can I put you on hold so I can get to another phone"  and on hold they stay... amazing how long some of the bastards will hang.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »
(Often with an Indian accent) Hi, can I talk to whoever is in charge of ________

That's me. What are you selling?

No sir, I 'm not selling anything

Well, then how the hell does your boss pay you?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm the one many of these calls goes to.  Everybody around here runs interference for people wanting to talk to Charlotte, but I get so many sales calls because the people answering the phones no better than to put them to Charlotte's phone, so I get to deal with them.  I have had the one's who act like they are buddies of mine just calling to catch up or they've done some sort of business with me and most days I'll politely listen and let them down easy.  I'm not as nice to the one's that call the house at 7:30 every night, I'll flat out get rude with them because it's almost daily that I get someone knocking on the door asking for money for something or someone calling the house for donations.  I know times are tough but if I gave money to all the people asking I'd not have any to pay the mortgage. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
Think about it man, I'd never ever do this, but, I'm sure there is a printer or two that do or have tried, ----sales call for inhouse sales person----"ring ring"-----Hey Joe, this is Bob from bla bla printing, your shirts are ready---<I'm not Bob, let me get  him for you>----<this is Bob, my shirts are read? I didn't order any shirts. ----------------

Ok I'll stop there, now, to take that call any further, the dishonesty level goes through the roof, play it out how ya want, the guy calling has to lie lie lie, to keep Bob on the horn and see if he will buy. I'm with Inkman on this one, folks who buy into this and validate that tactic need their head examined. If they will lie to get the sale, imagine what happens later. ewwwwww kinda reminds me of someone who I won't mention. lol!!!!

Offline mavgraph

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 07:28:27 PM »
Like Graphic Disorder, we never answer our phone unless we recognize the number. People who do business like that should be forced to chaperone a middle school dance. Trust me, it's not fun.
Brad
Maverick Graphic Supply 877-MAVERIK brad@maverickgraphicsupply.com
www.maverickgraphicsupply.com
Your #1 Choice For Inkjet and Laser Film
Adopt a Beagle! www.brewbeagles.org

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 08:04:41 PM »
(Often with an Indian accent) Hi, can I talk to whoever is in charge of ________

That's me. What are you selling?

No sir, I 'm not selling anything

Well, then how the hell does your boss pay you?

I do that all the time , ask them waht you are selling and they always say i am not selling anything, to which I reply too bad because i was in the mood to buy something today and it could have been your turn...goodbye.

When i get the big off shore accent type and they ask to talk to the manager i tell them to call back in 10 or 20 and then stop right there.
Typically they ask ten or twenty minutes? i say no years the boss in in prison. Then they always ask (they do really ask ((while i am pissing my pants)) what is he in prison for to which i reply he murdered a guy who kept calling him trying to sell something, then I hang up.

DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »
Worst part, it was not an offshore accent, straight up mid westerner  :o