Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 2152 times)

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
New Computer
« on: December 04, 2012, 01:21:32 PM »
Just bought one online.
Mine has a lot of issues and about 6 years old.
Will be fun to see if my fast rip and other thing will work on the new computer.
Hours of setting everything up will be fun.

Venting :-\

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: New Computer
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 01:43:01 PM »
One of my LEAST favorite things is setting up a new machine.  I takes hours.  I'm setting up one now as a matter of fact, A custom build XP box. I've gotten sorta recalcitrant, stuck on using XP. The last 2 computers we added were Windows 7 Ult 64 and I really don't care for them. Network Search from 7 is awful. One of them was a I-7 desktop (not a hotted-up version) and it's fast enough alright, but until MS fixes Search, it isn't worth it to me, to have to train the staff.  <rumor warning:>  A local computer tech told me recently, Microsoft would like to entertain offers from 3rd party concerns for continuing support for XP. I hope that is true!

I have the opinion that XP is the best OS Microsoft has ever come up with for business, and I want to produce actual WORK with my computers, rather spend all my time doing computer training. That, and being forced to buy new software all the time, because the new box has a new OS that won't run our old, familiar software. 

Call me crabby.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »
God I miss XP!

I miss the old file structures, this new library crap is frustrating and I can never get it figured out correctly. I wish MS allowed you to use the old hierarchy style instead of the libraries. And boy are you right about search, its total garbage!

One thing I hate about setting up a new PC is every version has a supposed transfer program that makes swapping a PC a snap, not once ever have I had it work ever. In fact on this MAC Fusion has a PC migrating ability progs the whole nine yards guess what it didnt work.

I always find no matter how thorough I am at backing up drivers and settings etc. I always forget something always.
"No man is an island"

Offline Croft

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »
I'm do as well usually keep mine about 4 years . Hopefully the timemachine backup on the Mac helps with the switchover. But usually its the little things that have been tweaked over the tears that you quickly miss.

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
I'm do as well usually keep mine about 4 years . Hopefully the timemachine backup on the Mac helps with the switchover. But usually its the little things that have been tweaked over the tears that you quickly miss.
I have Norton backup, so not sure if that will make it easier or not.  Figured I better order a puter before this thing blows up.  Got too much stuff on it, been a good little computer.

I got one from best buy.  It's an HP and has a 27'' screen, it's an all in one.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 03:12:55 PM »
The new Windows 8 is scaring me away from some "off the shelf" machines, and I bet that old "obsolete" versions of OS software now get a premium price.

I assume, from those who know, 7 is preferable. From the get-go, I understood 8 to be a phone and tablet system handed down to "real" machines.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:17:36 PM »
I can`t picture myself bending forward to touch the screen to do graphics
waving my finger smudge the display, learn another platform spend more money etc.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »
It would be cool if it was as precise as a cintiq system. But we know that aint happening.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »
i am setting up a new 7 machine right now as well.  I like 7, I find it's easier to use than XP..and it plays better with the quad core processors and can handle more than 4gb of ram.

The new system is sweet.  Quad core Xeon 3.2ghz, only 4gb of ram, but I will be expanding that....sucker is going o be wicked fast.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 02:59:16 AM »
If you want a bargain, then right now is the time.  Any 7 machines still in the stores are going to be blown out as MS pushes 8 hard!

But totally assuming here as I haven't put my hands on 8 but I'm sure you won't be limited to just touch screen.

They would kill one of their biggest markets, gamers.

Plus businesses won't switch if there is that much of a paradigm shift.  They have for years had touch screens on PC's and you could do both... more of a nuisance since I have a bad habit of actually touching the screen when I point at something for the user so it means I end up clicking on whatever I'm trying to just point at.

Obviously avoid any new OS for about a year when it first comes out.  You don't want to jump into the next Vista or Millennium, plus drivers will be worked out and more hardware will be better supported (and software).

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 03:47:08 AM »

Obviously avoid any new OS for about a year when it first comes out.  You don't want to jump into the next Vista or Millennium, plus drivers will be worked out and more hardware will be better supported (and software).

Very, very true! However, I have never had a real problem with any OS by MS, Apple, Google (Android), Linux, whoever. Then again I'm not a computer tech so whatever. But it seems it tends to be the user, not the os who is responsible for problem. Did you really, really need to see that nude wind surfing website? We have a wireless nextwork at the office with everything from XP to Vista to 7 and printers and scanners and popcorn poppers and everything has worked fine for years. I only got rid of my Windows NT machine a couple of years ago due to space. Remember NT? As in "not today." Ha!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 08:37:49 AM »
Nothing better or worse than a new computer.  Better in that you are generally upgrading to something faster, worse in that you have to spend hours getting things back to normal. 

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »
it takes months to get back to normal...settings, bookmarks, etc, something is always left out.

We are also dropping the domain and going back to peer to peer.  The server was overkill and is creating more problems than it's worth at this point.  Plus, those suckers are damn expensive to run.

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »
To ease some fears expressed here,
Win8 still has a 'classic' desktop.
On that goofy phone screen you just click on desktop, and there you go.

For win7 you can still set it up like XP if you prefer.
I imagine with some prodding, win8 can be tweaked more.
( messed around with it for an evening, not long enough to be overly familiar with everything )

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 01:46:43 PM »
Can someone please explain to me how to absoluely 100% make libraries go away, I know someone once mentioned just change whats pinted at them but that doesnt really change anything. I cannot use the libraries at all, I prefer things organized my way and the simplest way, I do not want a computer deciding for me how things need to be organized and viewed.
"No man is an island"