Author Topic: Hi jacked this Anderson Video....  (Read 5589 times)

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
Re: Hi jacked this Anderson Video....
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 06:50:32 PM »
Does anyone have some up close loupe pictures of any of these super nice shirts? I'd really like to see one that came from a production run showing all the dots up close.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »
Danny,

I have a couple of his gold winning shirts and can email you the pictures. Andy didn't like the idea of me posting his stuff too much so I promised I'd ask him first. Email should not be a problem though . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 06:06:58 AM »
pierre, I would have to disagree. I think target graphics is running at the top these days.

Rick we might be talking apples and oranges here. Or perhaps different varieties of apples. I believe Target G specializes in true process on darks where Andy's specialties is Sim

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »
Tony,

I would not say that I disagree with you, but might point out what I consider a major factor. I've held over 15 samples of Targets best in his portfolio in my hands and on dark garments they all visually look only as good as a good sim process ( on darks). Not really superior. That fact that they were process on darks...for years earlier than most were doing is a 5 star. I will say tho, they all had a heavy hand. Flashed in between to maintain the crisp dot but making it feel 20 years back in time for soft hand technologies.

In addition, they tout 75-120 line screen. I have seen many prints that came out better using 65 line from other shops. Then there is the concern that touting their use of 120 lpi is merely a marketing ploy. I believe that what they actually use in a 120 line screen is still only really equivalent to a full a 75lpi or 80 lpi using a true imagesetters...or the equivalent to a 65lpi on a digital printer.

For process prints being on black tees, I give them 10.
For overall appearance of the print, I give them a 8.
For soft hand feel, I give them a 5.

This is just my opinion and an experience from samples I still have and what I've seen ( from 5 years ago).
They may be even better now.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 08:52:09 AM »
Agreed on all points. Seems like they and Andy are so darned comfortable with plastisol that it will be hard to embrace WB. Whatever works for them and makes them succesful is the answer. I know Pierre at least is working with DC UBs and that may get him just that much more over the curve.

On a side note on some Sim process on darks Mark Coudray and others have pioneered the use of as many as three white screens. A high mesh semi transparent UB, Lower mesh opaque UB, and a final crush or hilight white. Sounds like overkill but when you see the results  (especially if you get a chance to see one print in person), you'll get it.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
I seen both shops work, and they both do a very great job..Andy and them I would almost have to say are the leaders when it comes to concert or music tees, but here is the real question.  I know we all put our heart and soul into trying to make the best print we can make, but does the end user really care about how it was printed or just really love the graphic design?

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
I seen both shops work, and they both do a very great job..Andy and them I would almost have to say are the leaders when it comes to concert or music tees, but here is the real question.  I know we all put our heart and soul into trying to make the best print we can make, but does the end user really care about how it was printed or just really love the graphic design?

Darryl

Like everything the end user is made up of many levels of people. Some notice more than others. I have a friend that has been in the design field for many years and was blown away at the detail that we can put on a shirt. I would guess many of us have not even seen the quality of a "award winning print". So to answer your question no the end user can not tell or even inspects a shirt close enough to tell. High detail and great looking shirts (award quality) are not for the end user. They are for screen printing shops to show their capability and prove to customers that they are the shop to go with. From 5 feet away you can't tell the difference of a award winning print to a 10th place shirt. Its just a shirt to the end user.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »
Can't disagree with anything you said there Gear, awards are great for when a customer walks in and they see those awards, but on the other hand I thinking these type printers don't deal with what I deal with WAlK-INS  wanting a million dollar shirt for 12 bucks LOL.

Darryl

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »
Can't disagree with anything you said there Gear, awards are great for when a customer walks in and they see those awards, but on the other hand I thinking these type printers don't deal with what I deal with WAlK-INS  wanting a million dollar shirt for 12 bucks LOL.

Darryl

$12 bucks?  The guy down the street will do them for $5!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 01:54:28 PM »
there are two reasons to be an award winning shop.

First one is obviously marketing. We can get into the doors that would otherwise be shut (this has to do with what we can print rather than what we have on the wall, but you can't win awards without a good print, so they are related). It also helps that we don't have ppl asking how long have you been printing when trying to sell jobs. They see the quality of the print and never ask. If I had to answer that I just started four years ago (or at the point when we won the first award, less than two years) many ppl would balk and walk away. Now they just look at the prints

The other one is the quality and confidence in your work. Very seldom do we get something and scratch our head trying to figure out if we can do it. The knowledge of how things work helps troubleshoot the problems rather than just guessing or doing a trial and error adjustments. Being good at something is always a good thing, 'awards or not. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »

Darryl

we do actually deal with that a lot.
We offer them options though. Anything from one color on a Gildan to high end simulated process on a $7 shirt. It is what I call "the size of your toolbox". The bigger your toolbox, more customers you can service and better you can help them. If in the end they chose a Gildan, we can load the artwork with halftones and present a kick ass print for about the same price as the next door shop does in spot. Final result is a happier end user and better value for the money. They do understand that and often chose to go that route.

pierre

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »
Agreed on all points. Seems like they and Andy are so darned comfortable with plastisol that it will be hard to embrace WB. Whatever works for them and makes them succesful is the answer. I know Pierre at least is working with DC UBs and that may get him just that much more over the curve.

On a side note on some Sim process on darks Mark Coudray and others have pioneered the use of as many as three white screens. A high mesh semi transparent UB, Lower mesh opaque UB, and a final crush or hilight white. Sounds like overkill but when you see the results  (especially if you get a chance to see one print in person), you'll get it.

we beat Target at two different competitions this year. They are very, very good, but Andy is on a whole different level. Let me put this into numbers. On a 10 scale, Target is an 8-8.5. Andy is 9.9. Few years back, looking at Andy's stuff, we were not even in the ballpark. I'd say we were a solid 7. There is a big gap from 7 to 10 and closer you get to the top harder it is to advance. I would say our work is on par with Target now. We only did a small number of prints with the discharge underbase, but as we get used to it, I can see us moving up to a 9 in the next 12-18 months.  In my head, I know what needs to be done to get to about 9.2 and then comes the Andy voodoo. These are proprietary things he does and tweaks done for his shop that would not even work for us. Add to that his meticulous nature and 30 years of experience and it really is Voodoo. We have Rick Roth coming to help out with few things, and I am hoping to get a little bit of insight into what it's going to take to move well into the 9's. Next is a consulting visit from Mark Coudray which due to it's cost will have to wait at least a year.

Let's also make something perfectly clear! These super high end prints are not your average production stuff. Seps and sampling for award winning level prints is a better part of $1k before even getting started!  artwork is often valued in thousands of dollars! For the most part, if we get a piece of art that lends itself to the competition, the extra work and expenses are out of our pocket! Regular prints get separated by Dan and have seps fees and sampling fees of around $200-$250. These are good looking prints, very solid and clean but will not win anything. This is the stuff we print almost every day. We use the lower count mesh, cheaper seps, we are less critical on the color correctness and so on. These are probably similar to the best work your average shop can do, but nothing to write home about. The very high end stuff is only done about once a month at the best. . .

pierre

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Pierre, in my book you guys do some really kick azz work, but here is my point in my shop I,m just a spot color guy, could I do high end work Helzz yes I could, but for my customer base they couldn't pay for the seps.  Every now and them I dream of being you guys knocking out some very killer prints that makes everyones jaws drop, but then bills come and back to spot color my bread and butter.  I do hate when a customer walks in the door with some really good art and I know I,m not getting the job, not because I can't do it, because the customer does not understand the cost of doing it.  They want a hand full of shirts not knowing the seps are going to cause more than there little shirt order, just had one a few weeks back would have been a killer job to print, but unless I can give Dan's time away for free no dice.

Darryl

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
Pierre, in my book you guys do some really kick azz work, but here is my point in my shop I,m just a spot color guy, could I do high end work Helzz yes I could, but for my customer base they couldn't pay for the seps.  Every now and them I dream of being you guys knocking out some very killer prints that makes everyones jaws drop, but then bills come and back to spot color my bread and butter.  I do hate when a customer walks in the door with some really good art and I know I,m not getting the job, not because I can't do it, because the customer does not understand the cost of doing it.  They want a hand full of shirts not knowing the seps are going to cause more than there little shirt order, just had one a few weeks back would have been a killer job to print, but unless I can give Dan's time away for free no dice.

Darryl

100% understand and agree that you have to service the market you have available to you. But here is another thought . . . Can you expand your market?

pierre

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
When I first I took a class down in southern California and they "taught" us how to print 4CP and simulated. I asked the owner of the shop how much they do a year in sales. His response was 2. something million. My next question was how many years have you been in business. His response was 5. I then ask how many times in those 5 years and millions of dollars in sales have you printed 4CP and Simulated work. He said twice!!! That did it for me. I didn't "need" to learn it, it was just nice to do.