Author Topic: Keeping them honest  (Read 3338 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
Keeping them honest
« on: October 19, 2012, 07:25:36 AM »
I have a customer outside of my state which i do quite a bit for, but usually 100 items at a time. I recently printed some shirts with a heart print and he sends me an email like a week after he receives them and says the print is too close to the shoulder (too far left). I ask how many of the 60 items are like that he says ALL of them, im like WOW i can't imagine screwing all of them up, but anyway i told him I would reprint the order and send it  to him. My question is do I ask for them to ship the bad ones back which I would pay the freight , or just let him have them. I feel I am creating a problem if I let him have them, they may get to thinking we can get two for one down the road. Just asking.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Keeping them honest
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 07:32:10 AM »
get a sample back to confirm. you could also ask to get them back to be used as testers. They should understand that.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 07:33:11 AM »
I have a customer outside of my state which i do quite a bit for, but usually 100 items at a time. I recently printed some shirts with a heart print and he sends me an email like a week after he receives them and says the print is too close to the shoulder (too far left). I ask how many of the 60 items are like that he says ALL of them, im like WOW i can't imagine screwing all of them up, but anyway i told him I would reprint the order and send it  to him. My question is do I ask for them to ship the bad ones back which I would pay the freight , or just let him have them. I feel I am creating a problem if I let him have them, they may get to thinking we can get two for one down the road. Just asking.

I wouldn't' agree to anything until you seen pictures at least, but more than likely id ask for one back to see it.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 07:45:49 AM »
I would ask for pics then I would ask for them all back and when that happened replace if needed.  but I would not let them keep them and reprint them.... no way

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »
i would  send him a prepaid return shipper and  ask them to mark on several sizes where they would like to have the logo on the replacements...you don't want to replicate "your mistake" while trying to guess the "mistake you made ".
i would also tell him to secure the bad shirts as you may also want to recover your bad products, you can think about paying return shipping to get your shirts back when your mind clears a little. Unless the return shipping is a deal breaker I would like to have my mistakes off the street and  to understand if I have a customer problem in the making 
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline dave58

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »
i agree with what sam said
Down with Anarchy

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »
Yeah, I just sent the guy an email asking him to mark the location on the shirt where he wants the print  with a paper clip and send it to me and I would repay him for the freight. Also told him I would send a prepaid shipping label so he could return the bad ones. We'll see what is bad and what is not.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 09:59:57 AM »
You did the right thing Rmonks business is business
Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 10:02:13 AM »
I once did a separation job for a guy on 500 shirts. I did in fact leave out a small area of yellow (about .125" wide) area on a car Design (in a logo).  My customers customer wanted the entire order re-printed for free. I was going to take the hit on the shirts and work it out with my customer in trade as he is one of me steady customers.

We felt a slight disturbance in the force on that and my requirement was to have all the shirts with the yellow left out, shipped back to me and I would use as rags or something later If I were to cover the cost of the miss prints.

They took the shirts (as is) and my customer gave them a discount and I worked the discount off in trade. We asked no questions and gave the discount and was about the same cost as a free separation.

Not all, but many people try to get what they can get.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »
We had a guy come in and pick up some fun run shirts. I knew right off bat when he barged through the doors with an a-hole look about him that this wasnt going to be good. I'm here alone at the shop, I knew the guy was coming but there was no usual instruction of collecting money from the guy as some customers pay in advance or net 30. So the guy demands to see his shirts, he holds them up to the light, scracthes his head, asks me for a ruler.... his face turns bright right and gumbles "these are NOT RIGHT!, THANK YOU SIR FOR SCREWING UP MY SHIRTS!". Confused, I said "well let's compare them to the samples shirts we have", the print area matched up perfectly with all the others with left chest prints. He gets even louder "YOU GUYS SCEWED THESE UP IM TAKING THEM, I NEED THEM FOR TOMORROW!", me " HAVE A GREAT DAY SIR"! as he barges his way past me and out the door. My boss comes in a few hours later asking where the payment was, I explained to him the ordeal and since then he's been going back and forth with the guy to get some kind of payment even as little as 25% for 3 weeks now. Simply put, we were robbed. 

Funny thing is, the guy said that the business that printed his shirts last time did a perfect job. I'm dying to know who he went to, I'm almost betting they have a simular story about this jerk off.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »
Ain't no one taking a dam thing out of my shop without payment unless I let them and something in writing.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Get Shirts

Keeping them honest
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 01:08:27 PM »
If he's a good customer, email him a return label and replace immediately.  I second the suggestion to get his specific instructions on the placement.   

Offline printguy

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »
Dan, seeing that you did the separations for the customer, wasn't it incumbent on them to proof your work before pulling the trigger on screens & printing? Nothing, well almost nothing, is more frustrating than having a customer sign off on a proof only to find an error after the fact...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »
Dan, seeing that you did the separations for the customer, wasn't it incumbent on them to proof your work before pulling the trigger on screens & printing? Nothing, well almost nothing, is more frustrating than having a customer sign off on a proof only to find an error after the fact...

This is true, but I made the mistake, so we "technically", were both at fault, but the problem started with me. I  knew that.  The real problem arises when (if I ever) make another major mistake like that and it's for a very large number of shirts, like 10,000, and I make a mistake like that. Sheesh,  it would shut me down to have to cover that. My customer was very understanding about the whole thing. We work well together and he's even sent me two jobs just last night. It's a good thing to make sure he's not financially injured for my mistake.  I would have been lucky had he needed to cover the entire cost and he would have allowed me to work it off.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline printguy

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »
Point taken; we have a handful of customers that would merit the same treatment