Author Topic: Water bill... anyone care to share?  (Read 5127 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Water bill... anyone care to share?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »
Since the building is split in to multiple units like ours there might be a utility room with all the meters and main connections coming in. If not in a room like then it could be in a box under ground with an access lid.

"No man is an island"

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »
Right at $40 bucks a month, bill claims 18 Gallons used (which seems low to me but whatever).  We reclaim 36-75 screens a week.  Wash cars, use water in our evap unit, drink water (fountain), etc.  4 people here every day, sometimes as many as 6 plus visitors.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 06:04:25 PM »
Mike, this building isn't that sophisticated, I looked for an in ground bunker thing... our meter guys regularly carry sight tubes because of how much rain we have they often have to plunge them into the water to see the meter... so usually not very much other than a simple metal box/lid that is about 8" (I have on at my house like this).

Brandt, there is probably a multiplier like on an RPM gauge.  That is probably X 100 or something, probably times 1000 actually.  Figure each toilet flush is at least 2 gallons alone.  I know just exposing a few screens in my shop filled up my 28 gallon solids tank (probably 20 gallons to the outlet spout I put on it).. granted that was exposing with a garden hose vs pressure washer so that used more water than needed (I'm now developing with pressure washer, it's VERY nice).

Thanks!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 06:06:14 PM »
Mike, this building isn't that sophisticated, I looked for an in ground bunker thing... our meter guys regularly carry sight tubes because of how much rain we have they often have to plunge them into the water to see the meter... so usually not very much other than a simple metal box/lid that is about 8" (I have on at my house like this).

Brandt, there is probably a multiplier like on an RPM gauge.  That is probably X 100 or something, probably times 1000 actually.  Figure each toilet flush is at least 2 gallons alone.  I know just exposing a few screens in my shop filled up my 28 gallon solids tank (probably 20 gallons to the outlet spout I put on it).. granted that was exposing with a garden hose vs pressure washer so that used more water than needed (I'm now developing with pressure washer, it's VERY nice).

Thanks!

Bill is clear as mud. LOL.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
I use about 15k gallons a month.  Water, sewer, and garbage all combined on one bill, totals around $80.00 per month.  Water's cut of that is $27ish.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »
water and gas will generally also have a shutoff outside in case of emergency.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »
Shut off doesn't do anything for finding out where this bill is... if the leak is INSIDE then we would KNOW!

Other than our new line that keyed them in on us as the problem (erroneously) it's a straight shot through one wall to all the plumbing fixtures only about 40' at it's furtherest.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »
correct, but the meter AND shutoff are together...what good would a meter on the inside do if a business carries funky hours?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 10:53:52 PM »
Most shut offs are not related to the meter.  We have a shut off on each unit but no meter to be found.  I do have a shut off NEAR my meter at my house and I'm sure there is one NEAR the meter at the shop... wherever that might be, but therein lies the problem, I don't know where the meter is and we DON'T have individual meters (or this wouldn't be an issue anyway because we would be paying our own water bill.)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 11:03:18 PM »
right, there should be a master shutoff in the same hole as the meter.  That way the water man can shut it off if you don't pay your bill. ;)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 08:59:34 AM »
I'm sure there is but what is your point?  I already said I can't locate the meter, so what good will the adjacent shutoff do if it is next to the meter.  Then next how does this help figure out why the bill is high?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »
I'm sure there is but what is your point?  I already said I can't locate the meter, so what good will the adjacent shutoff do if it is next to the meter.  Then next how does this help figure out why the bill is high?

Have you SEEN the bill or is he just making these claims and you are taking them at face value?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »
my point was to inkman's that it might be inside, it will be outside, finding it is another matter.

I guess you could also call the water company, they might send the meter reader out to show you.  Tell them you think you have a leak.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 09:25:50 AM »
If it is a joint use building the meter could be in a utility closet inside one of the other units. There will be a main somewhere by the street and there should be a standpipe somewhere on the outside if the building is up to spec. There has to be access to cut the water from the outside.

I would tell the Landlord to prove it to you. Thats BS. Take take his crap.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 09:40:01 AM »
Well, nothing has been done yet.  I don't think he's bringing this up to be a prick.  He has many properties and many businesses to run.  He's cut me a hell of a deal on rent and I just set up his email on his iPhone not but a few days ago for "free" so I doubt he's trying to be a prick.

I planned on speaking with the manager of the property to see if she can get the utility company to come out and see if there is a leak or at least tell me where the meter is.  I'm certain she has no clue.

FYI, this is a pretty old building and I don't think it was built with the intention of being a multi-tenant facility.  In my town all our water meters are pretty much in-ground, it's possible in some commercial settings it isn't, but I've personally never seen it.  And this is a small building in reality.  There is a total of 4 toilets and 5 sinks in the entire building... no other water fixtures (I of course added my washout booth just a couple of weeks ago and as timing would have it, poof, the bill shot up for some reason).

Also the back unit hasn't even been occupied for a couple of months.  Front unit has 3 women working in it and then it's us... so not much happening here.