Author Topic: Water bill... anyone care to share?  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Water bill... anyone care to share?
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:34:23 PM »
More precisely the gallons used would be better.

Our landlord recently got a bill for water/sewage that was almost 3x the normal... and coincidentally I just moved my equipment in and they know it.  So guess who got the blame?

The trick is though that we really haven't processed squat here yet... maybe 20 screens (full circle).  The property manager lives in the same neighborhood as we do so I asked her what her water bill was at home usually.  She said "$27 bucks"... I said, ours has always been lower than that (they know we did this at home before).  Then that afternoon we got the home bill in.  It went down $3 bucks.  So I let her know that this morning after she showed the place next door.

I told her she needs to find out what is up, there is no reason that bill went up $100 bucks from usage.  I also said that he the landlord really starts talking about making us pay it, I will put in my own meter (we don't have individuals) and show what I use every month.  I don't mind paying for what I use but I'm not paying some arbitrary ridiculous amount.

So anyway, if any "typical" smallish shop (even mid sized, just let me know maybe how many screens you process a month) could give me the gallons used a month so I could share that info as a "MAX" we would EVER use in this location that would help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Water bill... anyone care to share?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:43:23 PM »
Our unit is owned by us but is part of a condo type thing where all the units have condo fees so we don't have individual meters. But about a year ago the management company started an investigation because the water usage about doubled. They inspected all of our units (their is ten) and they came to the conclusion it had to be us that all of a sudden doubled the whole buildings water usage. Uh NOT! Anyways what happened was the water company stepped in and was able to determine their was a small but some what substantial leak underground that was not percolating to the surface but actually draining directly to the water table. The fix was repaired and water usage back to normal.
"No man is an island"

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »
For my house water/  sewer is up 20% we pay $280.00 for 3 months so $93.00 a month. 4 people here

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »
More precisely the gallons used would be better.

Our landlord recently got a bill for water/sewage that was almost 3x the normal... and coincidentally I just moved my equipment in and they know it.  So guess who got the blame?

what date did you move in, and what date was the reading at?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
We have been in the building in some form for a few years now.

We just moved the equipment in a few weeks ago.  I did mention that it is possible that the work we DID do wasn't even likely on this bill yet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »
You have two possibilities here.
1. Incorrect meter readings (which eventually average out)
2. A leak. Go see if the meter moves at all when no water is being used (the longer the time period, the better)

Now, if shared with other businesses, all bets are off.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 01:57:06 PM »
our bill here is around $60-$80 for the whole building.  Pretty cheap I think.  We should go to individual meters here, but we won't.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 02:03:35 PM »
Just two businesses, and I could tell them to not use any water for an extended amount of time.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 02:05:30 PM »
Read the meter at night after all have gone home then read it in the morning before people show up, thats how our water company figured out we had a leak. Scary thing was if the leak was under the buidling itself (which the main does run under) the bill would have been on the association, fortunately it was under the parking lot.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »
Hmmm... I can't find a meter.

Even walked the residential property next door and couldn't find a water meter.

Sketchy.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »
they are usually in the ground...i would start there. ;)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »
Thanks Cpt. Obvious. :p

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 02:48:41 PM »
ask the landlord under the guise of "just in case" there is a problem, where are the shutoffs for the gas and water?  He should know.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 02:54:39 PM »
With eight bathrooms, four washout sinks and an ice machine i don't want to know!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55:26 PM »
They will tell me.

They want to get to the bottom of this as well.  They just automatically assumed since I moved in new equipment at the same time it must be me.

I WISH I was so busy that I ran up an extra $100 on the water bill by myself. ;)