Author Topic: Time to upgrade  (Read 8874 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Time to upgrade
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:47:16 AM »
Hey I think its about time to upgrade our computers so whats the skinny on win7 now anygood or still having problems, that was a big reason I didn't upgrade awhile back and just stayed with XP.  If your using win7 now and doing seps and stuff what should I have to look for if I want to still use my old epson 3000 to printe seps and I,m sure I'll have to upgrade my rip...still using an old Photoscript 7 rip from cadlink with a usb dongle.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
Re: Time to upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »
Just got a new 27" imac, 16 gb with paralells for any windows needs... LOVE IT

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »
7 is great.  I like it. 

I would talk to Pierre, he will save you some coin on a new one.  there isn't a good epson 3000 driver, but a rip will work around that anyway.  Our 3000 is hooked up to the server running server 2003.  so there isn't any problem.  the usb dongle wouldn't work on 7 for some reason.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »
7 is solid.

Vista was the main problem.

I'm sad to see 8 coming so quickly. :(

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:34:02 PM »
guess I'll still be behind if 8 is coming out, thats one thing that blows about upgrades the stuff you have finally got to work right will no longer work on the new stuff, and you have to just about buy everything new all over.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »
7 is solid.

I am still on Vista.  I am too lazy to switch.  It's been pretty good for us.  I was gonna move us all to Windows 7 many moons ago, but we came to enjoy the Windows Calendar for scheduling jobs here at the shop.  I was told it was missing from Windows 7. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:21:36 PM »
Recently made the jump to 7 from XP.

I regret it every day.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
i just made the jump from a old 2 g pc to a new thinkstation e30 with 16gs and windows7 pro. so far so good. a little bit of a pain getting all the stuff i use over to the new rig but i love 7, no problems here. so much more speed, its like working at the speed of thought which is very nice. running corel x6,&x4, AI, and photoshop at the same time with no problems and very fast. not one crash yet or even a freeze..

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 03:14:11 PM »
7 is solid.

I am still on Vista.  I am too lazy to switch.  It's been pretty good for us.  I was gonna move us all to Windows 7 many moons ago, but we came to enjoy the Windows Calendar for scheduling jobs here at the shop.  I was told it was missing from Windows 7.

All your computer credibility just got shot.

I just lost all respect for you man.

I think I'm gonna go out and buy a think station now.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
7 is solid.

All your computer credibility just got shot.

I just lost all respect for you man.

I think I'm gonna go out and buy a think station now.

Ya I know right.  Trust me I know I am behind on OS.  But I can honestly say Vista has been perfect for us and we have no stability issues at all so we haven't pressed the issue to change.  Plus as you know in a screen print shop there is always something that would probably yield a better return on investment than a operating system for a already perfectly running system. 

Ideally I will finally build myself a new rig in the next couple of months and move up at that time. 

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 03:42:49 PM »
Dude, Vista is garbage.

There are two types of Vista users, those that hate it and then there are those that don't know they hate it yet.  I feel for those in the latter column, there is MUCH greener pastures in 7 that they are missing out on.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 03:53:07 PM »
Font Management in Windows 7 sucks donkey knob.

Seriously so effing mad with Microshaft right now.

Thousands of posts on the internets with the same problem, and the
MS Dweebz are shooting in the dark, suggesting reinstalling the system, etc.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
Dude, Vista is garbage.

There are two types of Vista users, those that hate it and then there are those that don't know they hate it yet.  I feel for those in the latter column, there is MUCH greener pastures in 7 that they are missing out on.

Well if it was crashing, errors, slow, or unresponsive I would certainly have moved on already.  We have it on 3 computers here, not a single issue.  Maybe I am lucky.  :D

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 04:14:54 PM »
7 is great.  I like it. 

I would talk to Pierre, he will save you some coin on a new one.  there isn't a good epson 3000 driver, but a rip will work around that anyway.  Our 3000 is hooked up to the server running server 2003.  so there isn't any problem.  the usb dongle wouldn't work on 7 for some reason.
7 does not reconize a dongle.... I have been around the block on that one. Using a KVR switch and still have the XP up to print through FastRip 8. an upgrade from cadlink $195.... and I do like Win 7

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
Dude, Vista is garbage.

Well if it was crashing, errors, slow, or unresponsive I would certainly have moved on already.  We have it on 3 computers here, not a single issue.  Maybe I am lucky.  :D

Again, credibility is shot.  We are done with this conversation.