Author Topic: Waterbased pallet adhesive.  (Read 6977 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Waterbased pallet adhesive.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:15 AM »
I often use 50/50 Windex/water.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline dave58

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 11:04:56 AM »
Direct to platen?....or over tape....or does both ways work?
Down with Anarchy

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:16 AM »
...1 qt of Windex (or comparable) to 5 gal water, the Windex speeds the evaporation. I actually dry cycle my press at a very slow dwell as I am doing this, I can do all eight boards in about three minutes. I once went nearly nine month without changing my pallet tape, and only then because the glue became so thick and aggresive it started peeling off the pallet. I do not recommend waiting that logn, however...pallet tape gets REAL hard to remove if you wait too long.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »
Direct to platen?....or over tape....or does both ways work?

Always on paper/tape

Even with the funky sprays, once you use pallet tape, you'll find the clean-up quicker and neater. Really makes a difference when running fleece.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline dave58

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »
I have been using the paper....and spray tac....i like keeping the platens clean with the paper....I'm gonna give the Tekbond a try....I am sure my lungs will like it better.
Down with Anarchy

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
Here we go again
DSCF7847

Thank to Mooseman we can post this now :)
Thats it guys! Great video. Thats exactly how I have them do it. Quick and easy........Gil!

I'm TOTALLY sold!!

Doing it with water and a Scotch pad was just torturous!  Hence my thinking of F' it I'll just add more, faster to retape every now and then to clean all the time. ;)

This though is amazing!

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
Apply waterbase adhesive with a roller, nothing is easier.  Right over the top of the old adhesive and lent, no cleaning.  I apply once every day or 3.  Zero problems, then I change the tape about once a month.  Been doing it this way for over a decade and I have tried EVERYTHING, this is easiest.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 03:39:42 PM »
We do just like Tony said but printing thin ring spun styles primarily necessitates more tape changes.  Two tips to add:

• When applying the adhesive to fresh tape use your foam roller and a companion paint tray to get a perfectly smooth, even coat on the first down.  Use the squeeze bottle + roller after and spritz the roller with water before pulling it off the handle and into a ziploc bag so it doesn't dry out and the metal of the roller holder doesn't migrate rust onto the roller. (I think Moose contributed this one as well.)
  • Stage fleece last in a day if it all possible.  We use sprayway web spray tack for fleece (just too much cleaning/reapplying with the wb tack for these) and yep, once you blast something from a can on there, you can only use that until changing tape, same would go for the mist type. Change paper out after the fleece and have fresh, clean platens in the morning.

Sadly, I've had zero luck layering the tape.  The water in the adhesive wrinkles and puckers the layers.  We use TexTac, unmodified. 

WB adhesive is a must do.  So many advantages to it. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 03:54:10 PM »
Almost without fail a fleece job will sneak up immediately after changing tape.

Still swearing by the cheap HVLP gun for fast even application.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 07:10:23 AM »

[/quote] Sadly, I've had zero luck layering the tape.  The water in the adhesive wrinkles and puckers the layers.  We use TexTac, unmodified. 

[/quote]

If you put a light coating of water based (again about 50/50 cut) on the first layer and let it dry befor adding second or even 3rd layer of paper the wrinkling is much reduced.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline ole jobe

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »
I discovered the WB adhesive years ago. No Paper or Tape. Directly on the platen. Clean with Mean Green about once a week, Clean and re-apply about once a month. I've been using the present gallon about three years, still well over half ful.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »

Sadly, I've had zero luck layering the tape.  The water in the adhesive wrinkles and puckers the layers.  We use TexTac, unmodified. 

[/quote]

If you put a light coating of water based (again about 50/50 cut) on the first layer and let it dry befor adding second or even 3rd layer of paper the wrinkling is much reduced.
mooseman
[/quote]

So that's:  Tape down - Tack the top and let dry - Next layer of Tape ? 

I'll try it but I have a feeling it will peel the whole shebang off when it's time to change. 

FWIW, I bought some "Newman Pallet Tape" from Ryonet awhile ago to see if it was any different.  It's just another varietal of R-tape as that's the logo printed inside the roll tube but it applies and pulls off much cleaner and easier than the others we've used in the past.  Cost is similar to everything else.  This platen tape makes the changeover less of an issue but I do agree that it would be the bees knees to stack up 5 layers every week or two and just peel them off and go. 

Offline Im-Magic

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »
I was selling a carosel the other day and the printer looking at it had never used WB Glue. He tore the shirt in half taking it off and that pallett had not been done for more than a month.
Stuart

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 10:47:16 AM »

mooseman
[/quote]

So that's:  Tape down - Tack the top and let dry - Next layer of Tape ? 

I'll try it but I have a feeling it will peel the whole shebang off when it's time to change. 

FWIW, I bought some "Newman Pallet Tape" from Ryonet awhile ago to see if it was any different.  It's just another varietal of R-tape as that's the logo printed inside the roll tube but it applies and pulls off much cleaner and easier than the others we've used in the past.  Cost is similar to everything else.  This platen tape makes the changeover less of an issue but I do agree that it would be the bees knees to stack up 5 layers every week or two and just peel them off and go.
[/quote]

I can share what we do, again it is not wrinkle free but greately wrinkle reduced.

start with areal clean pallet.

coat it with waterbased adhesive....dry completely

use a teflon sheet to cover all of the pallet except about 1/2 inch strip along one side (parchment paper works real well also but is harder to manage)

lay the first layer of tape over the teflon and stick it down evenly to the 1/2 inch of exposed pallet.
We set it down with the brush folks use to apply wall paper, it is a wide stiff bresh that chases the paper down quite well.

pull the teflon sheet back about 2 inches and stick down the next section of paper to the palet.
stick down only 1 1/2 to 2 inches of tape per section until you have the tape 100% down.

hit it hard down with the brush to insure good contact, we sometimes us the little plastic squeegees that auto body guys use to apply bondo or just turn the wall paper brush upside down and use the handle as a squeegee.

we take a sharpie and mark the tape so we know we have a base layer.
coat that base tape with with a stronger concentration of waterbased maybe about 70 % adhesive  / 30%  water.

Dry it completely

add the second layer of tape with the same teflon sheet method detailed for the base layer

We mark it 1st layer, then add the adhesive  lightly to that layer. It will not be very tacky because of the light coat, you can try higher concentration of adhesive.

LET IT DRY COMPLETELY, recoat with more adhesive, it is important to get that paper layer basically shirt ready so the next layer will want to stick to it. You may need to chase some wrinkles out or use a pin to perferate air pockets and hit it down  with the brush handle.

We have tried a 3rd layer and it works but it doesn't hold up too long as each successive layer brings more wrinkles and just doesn't have the staying power.

We have thought about using Borden spray craft bond (you know the Elmer's glue people)
http://www.k12schoolsupplies.net/Elmers-Craft-Bond-Multi-Purpose-Spray-Adhesive-4-O-p/elme421.htm
added to the ADHESIVE SIDE of the 1st  tape layer to improve the bond to the base tape layer but we have not got that tested out at this point.
Possible someone will try that and report back.

Anyway I hope this helps. It takes time but we find the tape lasts  very very long time using the Mean Green and brush renewal method conered previously to chase lint from the pallet.

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Get Shirts

Waterbased pallet adhesive.
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »
Does it really save that much time layering the tape?  The changeout process should take less than 10 minutes.