Author Topic: Waterbased pallet adhesive.  (Read 6978 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Waterbased pallet adhesive.
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:00:12 AM »
Did some testing this week and one glue application has lasted five straight days of hard production. I can't tell you how many times I'll walk into a shop and find a gallon of it under the dryer. "That stuff doesn't work we tried it." is the typical response. So here's a few tips on application and maintaining good adhesion:
Use a mustard squeeze bottle and screen scrubby to apply on fresh pallet paper. Apply liberally, using a circular motion. A second application after the first one is dry will extend the life of the glue.
Once a day we spritz the platens with water and scrub with a stiff bristle brush (like the ones for brooms).
Do this even though the still be sticky and rather clean! This procedure extracts the shirt lint and re-activates the glue. Be sure to lay down a flattened out cardboard box on the floor to save you from having to clean the gunk up. On a 14 color it should take two people ten minutes to clean and re-activate16 pallets
If you regularly keep this up the boards will remain smooth enough to allow for yet another top coat of fresh glue and you're good for another week. Honestly please try this if you haven't already. The benefits are amazing.
Lastly if you find this as effective as I have you'll need to round up all the spray cans and secure them. If you spray mist adhesive over a water based adhesive it will work for a while but then you will need to resort to having to change paper. Currently we only need to change paper every few weeks or so.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: Waterbased pallet adhesive.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Luckily, I net Pierre before I bought my first batch of supplies. He suggested to go with pallet adhesive.
I have been using Palet Adhesive since the Day one and I do not have any issues with it.
I have few cans of spray laying around for occasional fleece job, but I'm using exclusively waterbased pallet adhesive.

Instead off bristle brush, I use rough side of Scotch pads (For dish washing)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »
Same here Dennis.

But I think I'm gonna forgo cleaning them off... just add more, it's cheap enough!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »
Same here Dennis.

But I think I'm gonna forgo cleaning them off... just add more, it's cheap enough!

By "cleaning them", do you mean removing the lint or the glue itself? Re-applying glue over the lint can raise its own problems. The new glue can soften the old, and your lint can move with your application, leaving an uneven surface.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 09:56:05 AM »
Regluing without cleaning will result in those shirt bugs turning into tiny hard pellets that can show up in your print.

Offline Nick Bane

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 10:00:20 AM »
yep, no adding fresh glue til you scrub the old lint off first or youll find yourself changing paper real quick.
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 10:02:20 AM »
we do exact as TP mentioned, we also have 4 layers of R Tape on our platens, each labeled with a number so we know when it's time to retape. about once a month we peel a layer off. In the winter we go through a bit more due to printing fleece. We have a gallon of wb adhesive from 2 years ago and it's about 50 % full. time savings is huge, we use a 3m green scrub to clean off the lint, works great.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
Well, we pick off any nasty pieces of lint.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »
Here we go again
DSCF7847

Thank to Mooseman we can post this now :)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 10:12:22 AM »
Thats it guys! Great video. Thats exactly how I have them do it. Quick and easy........Gil!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »
what is this mean green spray? where can i get it?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »
Supermarket or Home Depot

Offline Printhouse

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
Great timing on this post!  I am one of those that has the gallon of wb tack on the shelf and still primarily use the spray.  I just retaped pallets this morning.  I think its time to make the switch!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 10:51:25 AM »
Mean Green is great. Run them under the flash for a few seconds after you clean the pallets, you'll be good to go.
I use that instead of water

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »
We have been doing the same for years. 
With a couple of exceptions: 
I use an adhesive cleaner and water mixed (1 part cleaner to 10 parts water).  Also use a red scrub pad instead of brush.
I am having to clean the pallets every 600 to 700 pcs.