Author Topic: futuristic dryer  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
futuristic dryer
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »
i had a dream last night that someone came up with a dryer power on solar panels
crazy i know, when i woke up i wondered how many panels would be require to juice
an entry level dryer like the vastex mini me
that`ll attract more potential buyers
just a dream
Gabe

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: futuristic dryer
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:27:28 PM »
a lot...probably not do-able with standard panels, you would need a solar concentrator or two.  Panels are not the efficient per sq. foot.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:52:49 PM »
ROI on panels are REALLY long.  Even with government subsidies it takes like 7 years (15 without) to break even and then you have to replace expensive parts setting you back on that ROI again.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:18:17 PM »
i had a dream last night that someone came up with a dryer power on solar panels
crazy i know, when i woke up i wondered how many panels would be require to juice
an entry level dryer like the vastex mini me
that`ll attract more potential buyers
just a dream
Gabe
Might want to buy the lot next door for all the space the panels are going to need to run even a small dryer. BTW you need to turn it off when you go to sleep. Dreaming of things for printing? There are better things!! LOL!
Rich Hoffman

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
i ask my buddy the electrical engineer how feasible that would be
in a nutshell solar panels soon are gonna be replace by a more sophisticated ones
using nanotechnology thus reducing the price and  the amount of panel needed
maybe someday near Rich
Gabe

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »
i ask my buddy the electrical engineer how feasible that would be
in a nutshell solar panels soon are gonna be replace by a more sophisticated ones
using nanotechnology thus reducing the price and  the amount of panel needed
maybe someday near Rich
Gabe
we can only hope!
Rich Hoffman

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 07:26:04 PM »
Most solar has to store the power in batteries before it can power anything (power created is less than power needed). So lets say you print for 5 hours a day. Your panels will power the batteries for 12 plus hours a day. That would cut down on the needed panels but still not get you there. The best thing to do is not look at it as panels to power your dryer. Look at it as panels to feed the power grid. Now they will feed the power company every day and cut down on the power bill at the end of the month. Sounds great but it will still take 10 plus years to pay it off and then in a few more years you have to buy replacement panels. Solar needs to get cheaper and a lot more efficient to be a option for the amount of power we use. Trust me as soon as it is I will have my roof here covered.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:14:22 PM »
Around here they are trying to power you direct.  Cost of batteries are way too cost prohibitive.  They feed you direct during the day and possibly turn your meter backwards... then at night you live via the grid.

There is a Army Reserve base thing near our airport and their roof is almost COVERED!  They get more and more all the time.  They also have some covered parking that is covered with the panels as well.

Plus, you don't get 12 hours of FULL sun.  Even down here in Louisiana I think they say it's only 4.x hours of FULL sun.

I have a couple of panels from an offshore platform, I've never utilized them but I have a few projects here and there that I might use them on.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 08:27:03 PM »

Plus, you don't get 12 hours of FULL sun.  Even down here in Louisiana I think they say it's only 4.x hours of FULL sun.

I'm in Arizona its full sun here every day all day. I could cure shirts inside my car when the sun is on it.

Offline BorisB

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »
Isn't shale gas total game changer? Puting development of solar produced energy on hold.

Shale gas should greatly reduce energy costs in USA, at least that's what we are told, over here in Europe.

In regard with ink curing cost I always wonder why plastisols don't cure at  270 as standard. All ink factories have an additive for it. This way our energy savings would be 20% and more for each shirt we print.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »
Drop the solar panels and go with direct reflected solar, whan you are not cooking shirts you could make supper.
http://www.she-inc.org/
Better yet I don't know why someone has not developed quartz elements for a dryer that worksjust like the flash units on autos.
A shirt sensor, photo cell or electric eye to turn on when a shirt is passing through the tunnel with no energy draw when shirts are not on the belt. This I think would be ideal for manual printers when the dryer is running on nothing but belt.
Just my dream.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 06:34:11 PM »
Boy Mooseman, that could really save me money with my printer. LOL

He's getting it though!