Author Topic: Locking Strip Shortage?  (Read 8579 times)

Offline Logoman

• Life is what happens while your making other plans
Locking Strip Shortage?
« on: July 31, 2012, 08:49:17 PM »
I was told by a fellow Printer today that they were unable to get Locking Strips that there was a shortage. They were telling me that they use two strips stacked on top of each to get them to hold the Mesh in the frame. I have never heard that.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Locking Strip Shortage?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:54:16 PM »
I tried to order some from Ryonet and GSG last week and they had none in stock, they were on backorder but said they would be in stock next week, but I've heard that before. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:47:25 PM »
Sparkie gave me some plastic banding strips To try, they work OK you need to stack them, I was going to try the metal ones next

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:01:10 PM »
You can get thicker strips... I just know the EXACT size.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 11:01:21 PM »
I bought a roll of lock strips last year and had to wait about 4 weeks to get it.
came directly from stretch devices and it wasn't cheap, about $70.00 for 50 feet.
Someone was advertising here about a week ago locking strips for $1.00 per foot....not sure where that went
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:05:08 PM »
I was told by a fellow Printer today that they were unable to get Locking Strips that there was a shortage. They were telling me that they use two strips stacked on top of each to get them to hold the Mesh in the frame. I have never heard that.

Hix frames use two strips, two different strips actually. I've been really happy with mine so far. I got a full roll of each type and almost crapped when I saw my bill.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:24:49 PM »
I bought some 20+ Newmans recently, They all came with strips. I use panels, so I might have some for sale. 18x20 MZX only though.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
After buying 40 or so used frames off Digitsmith all without strips I was in the same boat.  It would have cost the same amount or more than I paid for each frame to put actually locking strips in.  Plastic banding does work, and that's what I went with after measuring the strips I do have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LS93U8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

7/16" x 0.030" are the dimensions of the strapping.

I put one layer in an M3 with 110 and stretched it up to 36 newtons, waited a while, then retorqued it, holding strong.  I'll probably double stack them though if they slide in nicely for the all the frames even though it's overkill for S-mesh.

At 1 cent per foot I think I can handle stacking it and having enough strips to last 12 lifetimes!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 10:21:43 AM »
After buying 40 or so used frames off Digitsmith all without strips I was in the same boat.  It would have cost the same amount or more than I paid for each frame to put actually locking strips in.  Plastic banding does work, and that's what I went with after measuring the strips I do have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LS93U8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

7/16" x 0.030" are the dimensions of the strapping.

I put one layer in an M3 with 110 and stretched it up to 36 newtons, waited a while, then retorqued it, holding strong.  I'll probably double stack them though if they slide in nicely for the all the frames even though it's overkill for S-mesh.

At 1 cent per foot I think I can handle stacking it and having enough strips to last 12 lifetimes!

Boom!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 10:59:57 AM »
.03" is too thin for me, I'm not doubling up but to each their own, whatever works for ya's.  The 7/16 width is spot on.  .04" is the right thickness for the universal locking strips, but they come thinner and thicker for different mesh counts.  All the mesh that us textile guys use work with the .04" thick strips.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
.03" is too thin for me, I'm not doubling up but to each their own, whatever works for ya's.  The 7/16 width is spot on.  .04" is the right thickness for the universal locking strips, but they come thinner and thicker for different mesh counts.  All the mesh that us textile guys use work with the .04" thick strips.

Yeah .030 is much thinner than the thick white plastic strips (.050 ish if I remember correctly), but almost dead on with the black newman strips (if the black strips that some of the frames I have are actually newman strips).  I searched high and low for a thicker strip in 7/16" and couldn't find anything.

So far a single strip is holding more tension than I'll need day-to-day so I'm cool with the method.  I'll try doubling down with a frame and report back!

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »

I dont want to come off as an internet troll, but if you are looking for Stretch Devices Locking Strips for Newman Roller frames Nazdar SourceOne has these products in inventory at multiple US location for immediate shipment:

Part # AHLS50       Description:  Universal Locking Strip Clear 50FT   147 rolls available

Part # AHLS100BK Description:  Universal Locking Strip Black 100FT   23 rolls available

Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
Of course being a Shur-Loc user, it's never an issue for me. Hell, I gave a roll to a friend from here. Always give lock strips away when I get new frames too.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »

Yeah .030 is much thinner than the thick white plastic strips (.050 ish if I remember correctly), but almost dead on with the black newman strips (if the black strips that some of the frames I have are actually newman strips).  I searched high and low for a thicker strip in 7/16" and couldn't find anything.

So far a single strip is holding more tension than I'll need day-to-day so I'm cool with the method.  I'll try doubling down with a frame and report back!

Doubling the strips is no problem and you can either slide them in stacked or one at a time.  The second one goes in really fast.  Just tensioned up an S-mesh 150/48 to 28n, no problems! At less than .14 cents per frame!  I'm not opposed to paying for locking strips, but the cost is borderline robbery lol!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 11:03:17 PM »
using strapping for locking strips..

I have a good jewish friend who would even call this a really cheap
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services