Author Topic: Sceens letting go?  (Read 12503 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Sceens letting go?
« on: July 24, 2012, 02:00:27 PM »
We have now had 7 let go in the last few weeks.  Any ideas?  Ranging from really old, to a year old maybe and even a new one?

Haven't changed chemicals at all, still use drying cabinets, dip tank, and so on.  Any idea?
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Sceens letting go?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »
Don't forget the weather, the largest and least controllable variable.

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »
somebody was talking about the PH level in the diptanks causing issues. . I know your chems haven't changed but maybe the ph is dropping or something? Are you post exposing in the sun? it is hot out and I know heat is bad for mesh. Rollers? High tensions - like Sam high or "normal" high?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:50:25 PM »
Statics.  We have set screens out near sun for 20-30 minutes at times, rare I would say.  They do sit in my shop though, often warm out there.  But they always have, don't see why we would just be seeing negative results, strung together like this at least. 

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »
Is it the adhesive letting go or they are poping?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 04:10:13 PM »
We went years with mesh sticking just fine to static frames, then suddenly, every time we changed mesh we had to grind the frames down instead of just roughing them up a little, cleaned off any chemical residues, and still some would let go. Just when you think you know something...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 04:12:51 PM »
I had one last week where the adhesive let go along the bottom edge from corner to corner.  I set it aside and noticed yesterday that there was now a tear in the mesh in the area that had pulled away from the frame.  Weird crap.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 04:43:20 PM »
This is interesting. All the screens I have had come unglued were just bad gluing from the manufacture. Everyone had me convinced it was my chemicals. I don't use a dip tank so I would check on that. Are you losing them all at the same time. Just after they dry from reclaim before coating. That's when I lose all of mine. I have never lost on on press or when coated. I think the glue can handle anything but it seams the longer they are wet the more likely they will pop. Have you changed anything in the reclaim process. Maybe leaving them in the tank longer then before? Is a new guy cleaning them?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 07:49:15 AM »
Is it the adhesive letting go or they are poping?

Adhesive letting go. 

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:55:25 AM »
This is interesting. All the screens I have had come unglued were just bad gluing from the manufacture. Everyone had me convinced it was my chemicals. I don't use a dip tank so I would check on that. Are you losing them all at the same time. Just after they dry from reclaim before coating. That's when I lose all of mine. I have never lost on on press or when coated. I think the glue can handle anything but it seams the longer they are wet the more likely they will pop. Have you changed anything in the reclaim process. Maybe leaving them in the tank longer then before? Is a new guy cleaning them?

The only thing we have really changed about our process is we seem faster at it, my parents were doing it for the longest time, but most of the time our part time girl does them now, but she is quicker than my parents.  So if anything they are in the tank less time and when they come out they go into a drying cabinet to dry.  They are generally coated the next day.  We have had them let go after reclaim before coating, also had a couple let go waiting to be reclaimed after use on the press.  I am puzzled by it as it seems to be regularly happening now, so it's either just their time or we did something I am completely unaware of.  Like I said though these are ranging from "newish" to a year or so old to a couple years old.  All over the map. 

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 08:08:03 AM »
The only time I have had statics release the glue was when our local guy switched glue originally he used red mixed glue from Sefar and nothing could pull the mesh off the frame. He switched to some clear crap that had a spray activator and all our screens started to release. Fortunately he switched back.

We also had an issue with a haze remover from Franmar that you could not allow to touch the adhesive or it would break it down, forgot which it was but we trashed that and stick to CCI's renuit.
"No man is an island"

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
Do you remove ink with a dip too?  I noticed the kid here is just pushing way too hard on the inside of the screen scrubbing the ink degradent--once a good amount of the mesh to frame bond is delaminated, it goes in no time.

Don't know how this would happen with a brand new one though, past really rough handling or a bad glue job.   

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
We clean out all ink when they are removed from press.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 03:01:12 PM »
Well from all the info I have to say it was just their time. Since they were off all different ages and you didn't change anything there is not much you can do. Just keep working. I have had weeks of screens letting go followed by months with out one. If you keep getting then for the next week or two revisit it.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »
Well from all the info I have to say it was just their time. Since they were off all different ages and you didn't change anything there is not much you can do. Just keep working. I have had weeks of screens letting go followed by months with out one. If you keep getting then for the next week or two revisit it.

That's all I can think as well.  At least I hope.  7 so far, that can get expensive quick.